64Mb MX400 PCI not working

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to help a friend with a computer problem. Here's the hardware (at least what I know):

HP Pavilion XE734
Win 98SE
Intel Celeron 600
128 MB RAM
DX8.0

I'm not sure what integrated video chipset is installed. I'm sorry I can't give more info, but I don't have the documentation or anything and really don't want to open up his computer just yet.

He simply wants to upgrade his videocard to a GeForce2 MX400, PCI. The existing video chip is integrated. In the past, I have always disabled this in the BIOS. His BIOS does not support this, so we disabled it in the device manager.

I didn't install the drivers for the MX card, but the local tech guy did and said that he tried all of the latest drivers (Detonator, etc..). The problem is that none of the hardware acceleration features work. 3D games (Delta Force) will not run. DXDIAG reports that ACCELERATION features are not available. I upgraded the BIOS...no go.

Any ideas? I recall that the old Monster II cards required the existing video chipset to be enabled. Is this the case here? I tried enabling it, but device manager reported that the drivers do not support multiple displays.

I'm tempted to perform a clean install.

Any ideas or experiences like this guys?

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I noticed people HATE the i810 chipset. And I've read some posts about the PCI slot problems associated with the i810. Is this our problem? Is he stuck with the integrated video? Because I believe he only has 3 PCI slots. One is shared with the sound...

Any i810 owners out there???

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought I might get a response from you! I read some of your other posts about the 810. That bad huh?

I told him he's better off buying a new mobo...BUT the chassis is probably proprietary! Ouch...score one for us home-builders. He really doesn't want to spend more money.

The motherboard is one of those mini's. I mean this thing is TINY. Anyway, do you know what our problems are specifically? I tried moving the card to the other available PCI...no go.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He can use any Micro ATX motherboard as long as it's an ATX style case with 4 expansion slots on the case itself. I used to recommend the Asus CUSL2-M, but you might want to check and see if a TUSL2-M is available since it would support a future Tualatin upgrade.

Back to you Tom...

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
$280.00!!! Holy cow...I have to check this out.

Thanks for the input Crash.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey he found out what was wrong. I couln't believe it was this SIMPLE. Hardware Acceleration was set to NONE in the Display Properties! I never even considered that because it's usually already set to FULL.

Sure enough, now he is able to play Delta Force, run 3DMark2000, etc...just thought you might want to know for future reference.

Thanks again. Guess he won't be buying a new system. (I wouldn't either considering he got this one for free)

Regards.