Static assigning a drive letter (removable media)

Hello,

can anyone advice me how I assign a drive letter statically
(e. g. for a removable media)? There are many infos that it
is possible in WIN 2000 and XP, but how (step by step...)?
Must a hard-drive be formatted with NTFS or does it work with
FAT32, too?

Thanks and greetings
Udo

you can manually set any drive to the letter you want through disk
management (though I would highly recomend NOT changing you C: drive) it
should work for any drive currently connected to your system. I'm not sure
if it will stick with removable media or not though.

to get there, right-click my computer -> select manage from the opened
list -> go to the disk management section in the left pane (located in
storage if that section is closed)

this should open the disk management utility in the right pane. to change th
driver letter just right click the drive and select "change driver letter
and paths"

again, I do not recomend changing the C: drive.

"Udo Weik" <WeikEngOff@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> can anyone advice me how I assign a drive letter statically
> (e. g. for a removable media)? There are many infos that it
> is possible in WIN 2000 and XP, but how (step by step...)?
> Must a hard-drive be formatted with NTFS or does it work with
> FAT32, too?
>

> Thanks and greetings
> Udo

disk mgmt drive assignment sticks on my xp
usb thumbdrive u:/
pcmcia sandisk adapter Compact Flash s:/
they always grab the same drive letter when I plug them in

"Seaserpen" <Seaserpen2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> you can manually set any drive to the letter you want through disk
> management (though I would highly recomend NOT changing you C: drive) it
> should work for any drive currently connected to your system. I'm not sure
> if it will stick with removable media or not though.
>
> to get there, right-click my computer -> select manage from the opened
> list -> go to the disk management section in the left pane (located in
> storage if that section is closed)
>
> this should open the disk management utility in the right pane. to change
> th driver letter just right click the drive and select "change driver
> letter and paths"
>
> again, I do not recomend changing the C: drive.
>

> "Udo Weik" <WeikEngOff@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> can anyone advice me how I assign a drive letter statically
>> (e. g. for a removable media)? There are many infos that it
>> is possible in WIN 2000 and XP, but how (step by step...)?
>> Must a hard-drive be formatted with NTFS or does it work with
>> FAT32, too?
>>

>> Thanks and greetings
>> Udo

XP can use FAT32. However there are two limitations the MS has placed in
XP, for FAT32

1) XP can only create a 32GB FAT32 partition.

2) File size can not exceed 4GB on FAT32 partitions.