How do I view a hard drive from a win95 machine on a winxp..

My mom just bought a new pc with Win XP Home, and we're trying to move her
files over from an old Win95 system. It doesn't have a floppy, and the old
system doesn't have a burner, and the old system doesn't have an eithernet
port. Direct connection through a parrallel cable fails.

We purchased PC-Relocator, but the parrallel connection doesn't work.
Neither machine sees the other.

I've taken the hard disks out, and installed them in the new system, which
after booting shows a recover partition. The old system no longer boots. Is
it possible to make XP see an old hard drive?

(I did back up the files she was most interested in to floppy, but it would
be nice if we could just install the old drives into the new PC, as she may
find other files that she wants. The salesmen for the PC suggested hooking
the drives up and copying the files when we purchased Intellimover, which we
took back when we found PC-Relocator.)

In any case, I'ld like to know if XP has destroyed the data on the drives,
so that others don't do the same stupid thing. Is there a way to get XP to
recognize the win95 hard drives with the data intact?
3 answers Last reply
More about view hard drive win95 machine winxp

    When you add a HD to a system as the 2nd HD you do need to change the
    settings on the back of the drive to reflect that changer............from
    master to slave.Then you install that drive onto the slave position of the
    IDE cable.
    OR if you are installing onto a 2nd IDE connection as the master then you do
    not need to change the jumpers on the back.
    "I've taken the hard disks out, and installed them in the new system,"
    this seems to indicate you have 2 HD that you need to install into the new
    system.Remember which one was hooked up as master and which as slave and use
    the 2nd IDE connection to connect them in the same order.The go to the BIOS
    and see if they are seen in there.Then go into XP
    let us know
    peterk

    "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My mom just bought a new pc with Win XP Home, and we're trying to move her
    > files over from an old Win95 system. It doesn't have a floppy, and the
    > old
    > system doesn't have a burner, and the old system doesn't have an eithernet
    > port. Direct connection through a parrallel cable fails.
    >
    > We purchased PC-Relocator, but the parrallel connection doesn't work.
    > Neither machine sees the other.
    >
    > I've taken the hard disks out, and installed them in the new system, which
    > after booting shows a recover partition. The old system no longer boots.
    > Is
    > it possible to make XP see an old hard drive?
    >
    > (I did back up the files she was most interested in to floppy, but it
    > would
    > be nice if we could just install the old drives into the new PC, as she
    > may
    > find other files that she wants. The salesmen for the PC suggested
    > hooking
    > the drives up and copying the files when we purchased Intellimover, which
    > we
    > took back when we found PC-Relocator.)
    >
    > In any case, I'ld like to know if XP has destroyed the data on the drives,
    > so that others don't do the same stupid thing. Is there a way to get XP
    > recognize the win95 hard drives with the data intact?

    "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My mom just bought a new pc with Win XP Home, and we're trying to move her
    >files over from an old Win95 system. It doesn't have a floppy, and the old
    >system doesn't have a burner, and the old system doesn't have an eithernet
    >port. Direct connection through a parrallel cable fails.
    >
    >We purchased PC-Relocator, but the parrallel connection doesn't work.
    >Neither machine sees the other.
    >
    >I've taken the hard disks out, and installed them in the new system, which
    >after booting shows a recover partition. The old system no longer boots. Is
    >it possible to make XP see an old hard drive?
    >
    >(I did back up the files she was most interested in to floppy, but it would
    >be nice if we could just install the old drives into the new PC, as she may
    >find other files that she wants. The salesmen for the PC suggested hooking
    >the drives up and copying the files when we purchased Intellimover, which we
    >took back when we found PC-Relocator.)
    >
    >In any case, I'ld like to know if XP has destroyed the data on the drives,
    >so that others don't do the same stupid thing. Is there a way to get XP to
    >recognize the win95 hard drives with the data intact?

    The best way of doing this is to put the old hard drive (temporarily)
    into the new PC.

    In order to avoid conflicts with the existing hard drive you should
    *not* try to connect the Win95 drive as a slave drive on the same IDE
    channel as the new machine's drive.

    Instead you should (temporarily) unplug both the data and power cables
    from the CD/CDRW/DVD drive in the new computer and use these for the
    temporary connection to the Windows95 hard drive. Doing it this way
    avoids the possible compatibility issues that can arise when two
    drives that were manufactured more than 5 years apart are connected as
    master and slave on the same IDE channel.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I jumpered the Win95 Hard Drive as Slave, and the CD Drive as Master, and
    installed the drive on the IDE cable with the CD. Exploring under Win XP
    showed the drive to have Partition Information Do No Delete. There was no
    data visible on the disk.

    There were two drives in the old PC. Both behaved the same way.

    Jumpering the drives back to cable mode, and reinstalling in the old PC, the
    old PC no longer boots. Does XP overwrite the drive information
    automatically? I'm positive I didn't mix them up and switch them.

    "peterk" wrote:

    > When you add a HD to a system as the 2nd HD you do need to change the
    > settings on the back of the drive to reflect that changer............from
    > master to slave.Then you install that drive onto the slave position of the
    > IDE cable.
    > OR if you are installing onto a 2nd IDE connection as the master then you do
    > not need to change the jumpers on the back.
    > "I've taken the hard disks out, and installed them in the new system,"
    > this seems to indicate you have 2 HD that you need to install into the new
    > system.Remember which one was hooked up as master and which as slave and use
    > the 2nd IDE connection to connect them in the same order.The go to the BIOS
    > and see if they are seen in there.Then go into XP
    > let us know
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My mom just bought a new pc with Win XP Home, and we're trying to move her
    > > files over from an old Win95 system. It doesn't have a floppy, and the
    > > old
    > > system doesn't have a burner, and the old system doesn't have an eithernet
    > > port. Direct connection through a parrallel cable fails.
    > >
    > > We purchased PC-Relocator, but the parrallel connection doesn't work.
    > > Neither machine sees the other.
    > >
    > > I've taken the hard disks out, and installed them in the new system, which
    > > after booting shows a recover partition. The old system no longer boots.
    > > Is
    > > it possible to make XP see an old hard drive?
    > >
    > > (I did back up the files she was most interested in to floppy, but it
    > > would
    > > be nice if we could just install the old drives into the new PC, as she
    > > may
    > > find other files that she wants. The salesmen for the PC suggested
    > > hooking
    > > the drives up and copying the files when we purchased Intellimover, which
    > > we
    > > took back when we found PC-Relocator.)
    > >
    > > In any case, I'ld like to know if XP has destroyed the data on the drives,
    > > so that others don't do the same stupid thing. Is there a way to get XP
    > > recognize the win95 hard drives with the data intact?

Hard Drives Windows XP