Can not boot is Safe Mode.

I have a machine that I am working on that boots into normal mode just fine
and appears to run fine, but if I try to boot into any of the safe modes the
computer loads all the drivers, starts to display the welcome screen and then
reboots. This machine is running Windows XP home upgrade with service pack 2
and all the latest security patches. I have scanned for viruses with Norton
Antivirus 2005 that has the latest definitions, and run Micrsoft AntiSpam
software that is up to date and found no threats. I hate to do anything
drastic as an in place upgrade to try to fix this since it boots in normal
mode just fine. Anyone have an idea where to start with this problem?
15 answers Last reply
More about boot safe mode

    Not all PC manufacturers use the Escape key to get into Safe Mode. Could
    that be the problem?

    --

    johnf

    >I have a machine that I am working on that boots into normal mode just
    > fine and appears to run fine, but if I try to boot into any of the safe
    > modes the computer loads all the drivers, starts to display the welcome
    > screen and then reboots. This machine is running Windows XP home
    > upgrade with service pack 2 and all the latest security patches. I
    > have scanned for viruses with Norton Antivirus 2005 that has the latest
    > definitions, and run Micrsoft AntiSpam software that is up to date and
    > found no threats. I hate to do anything drastic as an in place upgrade
    > to try to fix this since it boots in normal mode just fine. Anyone
    > have an idea where to start with this problem?

    No, I don't think so. I used f8 to invoke the start up menu options OK, it
    just won't finish booting when I select any of the safe mode options.

    John Hoy

    "johnf" wrote:

    > Not all PC manufacturers use the Escape key to get into Safe Mode. Could
    > that be the problem?
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > >I have a machine that I am working on that boots into normal mode just
    > > fine and appears to run fine, but if I try to boot into any of the safe
    > > modes the computer loads all the drivers, starts to display the welcome
    > > screen and then reboots. This machine is running Windows XP home
    > > upgrade with service pack 2 and all the latest security patches. I
    > > have scanned for viruses with Norton Antivirus 2005 that has the latest
    > > definitions, and run Micrsoft AntiSpam software that is up to date and
    > > found no threats. I hate to do anything drastic as an in place upgrade
    > > to try to fix this since it boots in normal mode just fine. Anyone
    > > have an idea where to start with this problem?

    Safe Mode is part of Windows, it doesn't matter what brand the PC is.
    Unless F8 is used for getting into the BIOS on a particular PC.

    The Esc key will not work to get into Safe Mode.

    To start the computer in safe mode
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uGDZd%234oFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    johnf <john_f@bigpond.net.a> hunted and pecked:
    > Not all PC manufacturers use the Escape key to get into Safe Mode. Could
    > that be the problem?
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> I have a machine that I am working on that boots into normal mode just
    >> fine and appears to run fine, but if I try to boot into any of the safe
    >> modes the computer loads all the drivers, starts to display the welcome
    >> screen and then reboots. This machine is running Windows XP home
    >> upgrade with service pack 2 and all the latest security patches. I
    >> have scanned for viruses with Norton Antivirus 2005 that has the latest
    >> definitions, and run Micrsoft AntiSpam software that is up to date and
    >> found no threats. I hate to do anything drastic as an in place upgrade
    >> to try to fix this since it boots in normal mode just fine. Anyone
    >> have an idea where to start with this problem?

    I am able to use f8 to get to the start up menu, the issue I have is that
    when I pick safe mode or safemode with networking the computer reboots just
    as the welcome screen starts to display, but this does not happen if I pick a
    normal startup. If this was a settings or driver issue would this not happen
    in bothe safe mode and normal mode?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Safe Mode is part of Windows, it doesn't matter what brand the PC is.
    > Unless F8 is used for getting into the BIOS on a particular PC.
    >
    > The Esc key will not work to get into Safe Mode.
    >
    > To start the computer in safe mode
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    John,

    Actually, if it was a driver issue, one would expect the problem to appear
    in Normal mode not Safe Mode.

    [[In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers (mouse,
    monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no
    network connections). ]]

    [[Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when
    you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum
    device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed
    driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or
    reverse the change.]]

    [[There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such
    as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are
    corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you. ]]

    Something is wrong with your Safe Mode. Unfortunately, I have no idea what.

    You should be having problems getting into Normal mode where getting into
    Safe mode would allow you to change settings, etc. which would then allow
    you to get into Normal mode.

    Any ideas that I have are bass ackwards. However you could try some of
    these and then try starting in Safe Mode.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

    How to troubleshoot by using the Msconfig utility in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/

    I am just guessing here. ;-(

    I have to ask this. Are you sure that you're using the arrow key(s) to move
    the highlight to Safe Mode before hitting your Enter key on the Windows
    Advanced Options Menu?

    Picture here...
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/gif_wxp/wxpsec15.gif

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:AC1079F1-1AC4-4305-9DE8-8E5F64565C1C@microsoft.com,
    John Hoy <JohnHoy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am able to use f8 to get to the start up menu, the issue I have is that
    > when I pick safe mode or safemode with networking the computer reboots
    > just as the welcome screen starts to display, but this does not happen if
    > I pick a normal startup. If this was a settings or driver issue would
    > this not happen in bothe safe mode and normal mode?
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Safe Mode is part of Windows, it doesn't matter what brand the PC is.
    >> Unless F8 is used for getting into the BIOS on a particular PC.
    >>
    >> The Esc key will not work to get into Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> To start the computer in safe mode

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    According to me (I'm possibly wrong) the majority of PC's use F8 to get into
    BIOS, but Escape to go to Safe Mode. It usually flashes up on the screen
    (very momentarily) as to which key to use.

    --

    johnf

    > No, I don't think so. I used f8 to invoke the start up menu options
    > OK, it just won't finish booting when I select any of the safe mode
    > options.
    >
    > John Hoy
    >
    > "johnf" wrote:
    >
    >> Not all PC manufacturers use the Escape key to get into Safe Mode.
    >> Could that be the problem?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >> >I have a machine that I am working on that boots into normal mode just
    >> > fine and appears to run fine, but if I try to boot into any of the
    >> > safe modes the computer loads all the drivers, starts to display the
    >> > welcome screen and then reboots. This machine is running Windows XP
    >> > home upgrade with service pack 2 and all the latest security
    >> > patches. I have scanned for viruses with Norton Antivirus 2005 that
    >> > has the latest definitions, and run Micrsoft AntiSpam software that
    >> > is up to date and found no threats. I hate to do anything drastic
    >> > as an in place upgrade to try to fix this since it boots in normal
    >> > mode just fine. Anyone have an idea where to start with this
    >> > problem?

    F8 is for Windows Safe Mode.

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uVSBhf5oFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    johnf <john_f@bigpond.net.a> hunted and pecked:
    > According to me (I'm possibly wrong) the majority of PC's use F8 to get
    > into BIOS, but Escape to go to Safe Mode. It usually flashes up on the
    > screen (very momentarily) as to which key to use.
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> No, I don't think so. I used f8 to invoke the start up menu options
    >> OK, it just won't finish booting when I select any of the safe mode
    >> options.
    >>
    >> John Hoy
    >>
    >> "johnf" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not all PC manufacturers use the Escape key to get into Safe Mode.
    >>> Could that be the problem?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

    Sorry, Wes, I'm a bit confused (or too old).
    If I hit Escape on mine, it takes me into BIOS, then when I close that, it
    gives me the Nomal/Safemode etc. options (MOBO, AMI - less than 12 months
    old)

    --

    johnf

    > F8 is for Windows Safe Mode.
    >
    > Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uVSBhf5oFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > johnf <john_f@bigpond.net.a> hunted and pecked:
    >> According to me (I'm possibly wrong) the majority of PC's use F8 to get
    >> into BIOS, but Escape to go to Safe Mode. It usually flashes up on the
    >> screen (very momentarily) as to which key to use.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> No, I don't think so. I used f8 to invoke the start up menu options
    >>> OK, it just won't finish booting when I select any of the safe mode
    >>> options.
    >>>
    >>> John Hoy

    Hi johnf,

    I am both old and confused. ;-)

    Yes Esc and many other key combinations work to get into BIOS. On my
    machine it's F1. I included Michael Stevens link just to show how many
    different ways there are for different BIOS brands/versions to get into a
    BIOS Setup Utility.

    F8 doesn't actually get you into Windows Safe Mode. F8 gets you to the
    Windows Advanced Options Menu where you can choose different options,
    Safe Mode is just one option.

    Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to Safe Mode, when you
    see the following menu and hit Enter...
    ----------

    Windows Advanced Options Menu
    Please select an option:

    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

    Enable Boot Logging
    Enable VGA Mode
    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent setting that worked)
    Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
    Debugging Mode

    Start Windows Normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS Choices Menu

    Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

    ----------

    Picture here...
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/Repairing%20Windows%20XP/pic1A.gif

    or here...
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/gif_wxp/wxpsec15.gif

    Why closing your BIOS Setup Utility gets you to the Windows Advanced Options
    Menu, I don't know.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uApcDO6oFHA.468@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    johnf <john_f@bigpond.net.a> hunted and pecked:
    > Sorry, Wes, I'm a bit confused (or too old).
    > If I hit Escape on mine, it takes me into BIOS, then when I close that, it
    > gives me the Nomal/Safemode etc. options (MOBO, AMI - less than 12 months
    > old)
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> F8 is for Windows Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:uVSBhf5oFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> johnf <john_f@bigpond.net.a> hunted and pecked:
    >>> According to me (I'm possibly wrong) the majority of PC's use F8 to get
    >>> into BIOS, but Escape to go to Safe Mode. It usually flashes up on the
    >>> screen (very momentarily) as to which key to use.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

    Yes, I am sure. Like you said I would expect to have a problem in Normal mode
    if I am having a problem in safe mode. This is the first time I have
    encountered anything like this. I was wondering if perhaps a piece of
    malware might have caused this to keep one from booting into safe mode to
    prevent detection since there are a number of them that can only be detected
    properly while in safe mode?

    John Hoy

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > Actually, if it was a driver issue, one would expect the problem to appear
    > in Normal mode not Safe Mode.
    >
    > [[In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers (mouse,
    > monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no
    > network connections). ]]
    >
    > [[Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when
    > you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum
    > device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed
    > driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or
    > reverse the change.]]
    >
    > [[There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such
    > as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are
    > corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you. ]]
    >
    > Something is wrong with your Safe Mode. Unfortunately, I have no idea what.
    >
    > You should be having problems getting into Normal mode where getting into
    > Safe mode would allow you to change settings, etc. which would then allow
    > you to get into Normal mode.
    >
    > Any ideas that I have are bass ackwards. However you could try some of
    > these and then try starting in Safe Mode.
    >
    > How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/
    >
    > How to troubleshoot by using the Msconfig utility in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/
    >
    > I am just guessing here. ;-(
    >
    > I have to ask this. Are you sure that you're using the arrow key(s) to move
    > the highlight to Safe Mode before hitting your Enter key on the Windows
    > Advanced Options Menu?
    >
    > Picture here...
    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/gif_wxp/wxpsec15.gif
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:AC1079F1-1AC4-4305-9DE8-8E5F64565C1C@microsoft.com,
    > John Hoy <JohnHoy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I am able to use f8 to get to the start up menu, the issue I have is that
    > > when I pick safe mode or safemode with networking the computer reboots
    > > just as the welcome screen starts to display, but this does not happen if
    > > I pick a normal startup. If this was a settings or driver issue would
    > > this not happen in bothe safe mode and normal mode?
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Safe Mode is part of Windows, it doesn't matter what brand the PC is.
    > >> Unless F8 is used for getting into the BIOS on a particular PC.
    > >>
    > >> The Esc key will not work to get into Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> To start the computer in safe mode
    > >>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    I have not tried the clean boot, but I will the next time I have a chance, I
    susspect that may be almost as good as safe mode for scanning for viruses and
    malware. If that does not work I think I will back up the entire disk and do
    an inplace upgrade, and as a last resort do a clean install of the OS and
    software and restore the files from the backup.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > Actually, if it was a driver issue, one would expect the problem to appear
    > in Normal mode not Safe Mode.
    >
    > [[In safe mode, you have access to only basic files and drivers (mouse,
    > monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no
    > network connections). ]]
    >
    > [[Safe mode helps you diagnose problems. If a symptom does not reappear when
    > you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum
    > device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed
    > driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or
    > reverse the change.]]
    >
    > [[There are circumstances where safe mode will not be able to help you, such
    > as when Windows system files that are required to start the system are
    > corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help you. ]]
    >
    > Something is wrong with your Safe Mode. Unfortunately, I have no idea what.
    >
    > You should be having problems getting into Normal mode where getting into
    > Safe mode would allow you to change settings, etc. which would then allow
    > you to get into Normal mode.
    >
    > Any ideas that I have are bass ackwards. However you could try some of
    > these and then try starting in Safe Mode.
    >
    > How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/
    >
    > How to troubleshoot by using the Msconfig utility in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/
    >
    > I am just guessing here. ;-(
    >
    > I have to ask this. Are you sure that you're using the arrow key(s) to move
    > the highlight to Safe Mode before hitting your Enter key on the Windows
    > Advanced Options Menu?
    >
    > Picture here...
    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/gif_wxp/wxpsec15.gif
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:AC1079F1-1AC4-4305-9DE8-8E5F64565C1C@microsoft.com,
    > John Hoy <JohnHoy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I am able to use f8 to get to the start up menu, the issue I have is that
    > > when I pick safe mode or safemode with networking the computer reboots
    > > just as the welcome screen starts to display, but this does not happen if
    > > I pick a normal startup. If this was a settings or driver issue would
    > > this not happen in bothe safe mode and normal mode?
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Safe Mode is part of Windows, it doesn't matter what brand the PC is.
    > >> Unless F8 is used for getting into the BIOS on a particular PC.
    > >>
    > >> The Esc key will not work to get into Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> To start the computer in safe mode
    > >>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    John,

    Malware or a virus are always good candidates for causing problems.

    Update your Antivirus software and run a complete system scan.

    Update your antispyware programs and run scans.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:CC111577-938D-4502-BA2A-A4D7C0670948@microsoft.com,
> [...]
    >> move the highlight to Safe Mode before hitting your Enter key on the
    >> Windows Advanced Options Menu?
    >>
    >> Picture here...
    >> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/gif_wxp/wxpsec15.gif
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:AC1079F1-1AC4-4305-9DE8-8E5F64565C1C@microsoft.com,
    >> John Hoy <JohnHoy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I am able to use f8 to get to the start up menu, the issue I have is
    >>> that when I pick safe mode or safemode with networking the computer
    >>> reboots just as the welcome screen starts to display, but this does not
    >>> happen if I pick a normal startup. If this was a settings or driver
    >>> issue would this not happen in bothe safe mode and normal mode?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    John,

    Keep those in mind for last resort. There are always things that you forget
    to backup that cause an Oh S**t. I have first experience of this. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8AAD9304-DBC2-4219-AE4D-D1661D6CE5A4@microsoft.com,
> [...]
    >> move the highlight to Safe Mode before hitting your Enter key on the
    >> Windows Advanced Options Menu?
    >>
    >> Picture here...
    >> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/gif_wxp/wxpsec15.gif
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:AC1079F1-1AC4-4305-9DE8-8E5F64565C1C@microsoft.com,
    >> John Hoy <JohnHoy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I am able to use f8 to get to the start up menu, the issue I have is
    >>> that when I pick safe mode or safemode with networking the computer
    >>> reboots just as the welcome screen starts to display, but this does not
    >>> happen if I pick a normal startup. If this was a settings or driver
    >>> issue would this not happen in bothe safe mode and normal mode?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Wes,

    Thanks for all the input. I know what you mean by the Oh S**t part I have
    done that to myself to many times. Now I make an image of the entire disk
    using Norton Ghost that I can restore to a spare drive if I find I have
    forgotten something, this has saved me great aggravation and embarresment. I
    already have made sure that the latest virus defs and have been applied
    before I started, but I have found that sometimes a new piece of malware
    creeps in before defs for it are available making the job of recovery a pain.

    John Hoy

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> are corrupted or damaged. In this case, the Recovery Console may help
    > >> you. ]]
    > >>
    > >> Something is wrong with your Safe Mode. Unfortunately, I have no idea
    > >> what.
    > >>
    > >> You should be having problems getting into Normal mode where getting into
    > >> Safe mode would allow you to change settings, etc. which would then allow
    > >> you to get into Normal mode.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas that I have are bass ackwards. However you could try some of
    > >> these and then try starting in Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/
    > >>
    > >> How to troubleshoot by using the Msconfig utility in Windows XP
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/
    > >>
    > >> I am just guessing here. ;-(
    > >>
    > >> I have to ask this. Are you sure that you're using the arrow key(s) to
    > >> move the highlight to Safe Mode before hitting your Enter key on the

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi John,

    I can stand the embarrassment, but not the aggravation. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User