msconfig won't run

August 17, 2005 9:37:18 PM

I run two hard drives. C: and f:. F: is my primary and C: is the slave. If
I boot from C: I can run msconfig. If I boot from F:, I cannot run msconfig
without first removing the cable from the c: HD and rebooting. If I run
sysedit while in the f: drive, it shows autoexec.bat and config.sys from the
c: drive and win.ini from the f: drive. How can I change the autoexec.bat to
run from the f: drive on boot up?
--
Thanks, niel

More about : msconfig run

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:17:05 PM

seeing as how XP does not use autoexec nor config.sys what other OS are you
running in a dual boot cofiguration?
Or are you running a dual boot configuration?? or are you just disconnecting
one drive when you do not wish to boot from it??with XP on both drives??
peterk

"niel" <niel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I run two hard drives. C: and f:. F: is my primary and C: is the slave.
>If
> I boot from C: I can run msconfig. If I boot from F:, I cannot run
> msconfig
> without first removing the cable from the c: HD and rebooting. If I run
> sysedit while in the f: drive, it shows autoexec.bat and config.sys from
> the
> c: drive and win.ini from the f: drive. How can I change the autoexec.bat
> run from the f: drive on boot up?
> --
> Thanks, niel
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:40:28 AM

F:\ drive is configured as the primary drive. C:\ is the slave. The boot
from config comes from the computer bios setting F: = 0, c: = 1. F: was
created by mirroring c: using Maxblast when the original f: hd crashed and
was replaced. F: will only run msconfig if I unplug c: from the cable.
--
Thanks, niel

"peterk" wrote:

> seeing as how XP does not use autoexec nor config.sys what other OS are you
> running in a dual boot cofiguration?
> Or are you running a dual boot configuration?? or are you just disconnecting
> one drive when you do not wish to boot from it??with XP on both drives??
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "niel" <niel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I run two hard drives. C: and f:. F: is my primary and C: is the slave.
> >If
> > I boot from C: I can run msconfig. If I boot from F:, I cannot run
> > msconfig
> > without first removing the cable from the c: HD and rebooting. If I run
> > sysedit while in the f: drive, it shows autoexec.bat and config.sys from
> > the
> > c: drive and win.ini from the f: drive. How can I change the autoexec.bat
> > run from the f: drive on boot up?
> > --
> > Thanks, niel

August 18, 2005 2:57:18 AM

this from Kelly's Korner
Extract a New Copy of Msconfig.exe

Open a command prompt window. Insert your XP CD into the drive and enter the
following command:

EXPAND -R X:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_Z:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES
Do this from your F installation
good luck.

It seems to me that you have a mess of an installation.That You change the
boot order in the bios whenever you wish to boot from one drive or the
other.A really hard way to dual boot.Might I suggest that you start with the
installation on F and from within that do a repair installation of XP onto
the C drive.This should detect the fact that you are trying to do a dual
Boot and adjust the boot.ini file accordingly.Upon reboot with both drives
connected you should then get the option of which XP to start with.Be sure
to name one installation differently so that you know which is which.
Do a google for XP dual boot for maybe better instructions.
or Google for a Bootloader......which would also give you that choice
without having to play with hardware each time.
Why you would need 2 XP's is beyond me.........Isn't the problems created by
one enough for you???.

> F:\ drive is configured as the primary drive. C:\ is the slave. The boot
> from config comes from the computer bios setting F: = 0, c: = 1. F: was
> created by mirroring c: using Maxblast when the original f: hd crashed and
> was replaced. F: will only run msconfig if I unplug c: from the cable.
> --
> Thanks, niel
>

> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> seeing as how XP does not use autoexec nor config.sys what other OS are
>> you
>> running in a dual boot cofiguration?
>> Or are you running a dual boot configuration?? or are you just
>> disconnecting
>> one drive when you do not wish to boot from it??with XP on both drives??
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
>> "niel" <niel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I run two hard drives. C: and f:. F: is my primary and C: is the
>> >slave.
>> >If
>> > I boot from C: I can run msconfig. If I boot from F:, I cannot run
>> > msconfig
>> > without first removing the cable from the c: HD and rebooting. If I
>> > run
>> > sysedit while in the f: drive, it shows autoexec.bat and config.sys
>> > from
>> > the
>> > c: drive and win.ini from the f: drive. How can I change the
>> > autoexec.bat
>> > run from the f: drive on boot up?
>> > --
>> > Thanks, niel

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:46:27 PM

Thanks for responding. The reason I have two hard drives is for backup. The
c: drive is the back. When I had a hard drive fail several years ago, I
created this setup. Since then, I've had two hard drives go out, and each
time I mirrored the C: to the new F: hard drive. Saved reloading XP and all
the other programs, and up to now worked great.
I tried your instructions, but keep getting the message "cannot open the
file X:\I386...........". Should I be substituting my drive letters for X:
or Z:?
--
Thanks, niel

"peterk" wrote:

> this from Kelly's Korner
> Extract a New Copy of Msconfig.exe
>
> Open a command prompt window. Insert your XP CD into the drive and enter the
> following command:
>
> EXPAND -R X:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_Z:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES
> Do this from your F installation
> good luck.
>
> It seems to me that you have a mess of an installation.That You change the
> boot order in the bios whenever you wish to boot from one drive or the
> other.A really hard way to dual boot.Might I suggest that you start with the
> installation on F and from within that do a repair installation of XP onto
> the C drive.This should detect the fact that you are trying to do a dual
> Boot and adjust the boot.ini file accordingly.Upon reboot with both drives
> connected you should then get the option of which XP to start with.Be sure
> to name one installation differently so that you know which is which.
> Do a google for XP dual boot for maybe better instructions.
> or Google for a Bootloader......which would also give you that choice
> without having to play with hardware each time.
> Why you would need 2 XP's is beyond me.........Isn't the problems created by
> one enough for you???.
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "niel" <niel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > F:\ drive is configured as the primary drive. C:\ is the slave. The boot
> > from config comes from the computer bios setting F: = 0, c: = 1. F: was
> > created by mirroring c: using Maxblast when the original f: hd crashed and
> > was replaced. F: will only run msconfig if I unplug c: from the cable.
> > --
> > Thanks, niel
> >

> > "peterk" wrote:
> >
> >> seeing as how XP does not use autoexec nor config.sys what other OS are
> >> you
> >> running in a dual boot cofiguration?
> >> Or are you running a dual boot configuration?? or are you just
> >> disconnecting
> >> one drive when you do not wish to boot from it??with XP on both drives??
> >> peterk
> >>
> >> --
> >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> >> "niel" <niel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:57:58 PM

Yes you should.
A Backup/Ghosted drive would normally be removed after ghosting in order to
be sure that nothing changes on the drive.
It can be reinstalled for an occassional re-ghost but it is best left out of
the machine until needed.
I use Acronis TrueImage for this purpose and after imaging my main drive
remove the drive it imaged to for safe keeping.

> Thanks for responding. The reason I have two hard drives is for backup.
> The
> c: drive is the back. When I had a hard drive fail several years ago, I
> created this setup. Since then, I've had two hard drives go out, and each
> time I mirrored the C: to the new F: hard drive. Saved reloading XP and
> all
> the other programs, and up to now worked great.
> I tried your instructions, but keep getting the message "cannot open the
> file X:\I386...........". Should I be substituting my drive letters for
> X:
> or Z:?
> --
> Thanks, niel
>

> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> this from Kelly's Korner
>> Extract a New Copy of Msconfig.exe
>>
>> Open a command prompt window. Insert your XP CD into the drive and enter
>> the
>> following command:
>>
>> EXPAND -R X:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_Z:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES
>> Do this from your F installation
>> good luck.
>>
>> It seems to me that you have a mess of an installation.That You change
>> the
>> boot order in the bios whenever you wish to boot from one drive or the
>> other.A really hard way to dual boot.Might I suggest that you start with
>> the
>> installation on F and from within that do a repair installation of XP
>> onto
>> the C drive.This should detect the fact that you are trying to do a dual
>> Boot and adjust the boot.ini file accordingly.Upon reboot with both
>> drives
>> connected you should then get the option of which XP to start with.Be
>> sure
>> to name one installation differently so that you know which is which.
>> Do a google for XP dual boot for maybe better instructions.
>> or Google for a Bootloader......which would also give you that choice
>> without having to play with hardware each time.
>> Why you would need 2 XP's is beyond me.........Isn't the problems created
>> by
>> one enough for you???.
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
>> "niel" <niel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > F:\ drive is configured as the primary drive. C:\ is the slave. The
>> > boot
>> > from config comes from the computer bios setting F: = 0, c: = 1. F:
>> > was
>> > created by mirroring c: using Maxblast when the original f: hd crashed
>> > and
>> > was replaced. F: will only run msconfig if I unplug c: from the cable.
>> > --
>> > Thanks, niel

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:36:01 AM