Minor but annoying problem

System: Dell Inspiron 8500 with Windows XP Pro

I had to wipe my HD and reinstall the OS and all my software.

Before doing this, when I pressed the volume up/down button or the mute
button, a little horizontal red status bar would appear just above the
system tray.

No longer.

I'd like it back; I found it a very helpful visual representation of the
volume level, plus an easy way to tell if I had sound muted or not
without actually having to play audio file.

I'm guessing it's some Dell application I need to reinstall, or some
option I need to enable on some already-installed software, but what?

I've already tried checking Accessories -> Entertainment -> Volume
Control. If it's there, I can't find it.

Bob Pownall

My thanks to Ricky Parrott for providing the answer in a private email.

It's an issue with Dell QuickSet.

Bob Pownall