linking a laptop to a desk top with wifi

i'm new to this WIFI stuff got card for my laptop and usb WIFI for my
desktop
anything i need to know??

---
More about linking laptop desk wifi

    "stubar" <stuart.barratt@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:rRRsc.422$3s5.221
    @newsfe4-win:

    > i'm new to this WIFI stuff got card for my laptop and usb WIFI for my
    > desktop
    > anything i need to know??
    >

    > ---

    Yeah, use the ADHOC mode on the cards will allow you to do ICS wireless.
    Of course, you''ll need a wire NIC in one machine for the gateway to the
    Internet. On the other hand, the simple and more secure approach is to
    get a wire/wireless NAT router.

    Duane :)

    stubar wrote:

    > i'm new to this WIFI stuff got card for my laptop and usb WIFI for my
    > desktop
    > anything i need to know??
    >

    > ---

    I'll agree with the other poster, Duane, about getting a wireless
    router. I'll assume that you have broadband such as cable or DSL. If
    you have a router now then you can replace it with the wireless one. If
    you don't have a router, then it's a good idea to use one, even if you
    only have one computer. If you still want to just connect the laptop
    and desktop together, then get the two wireless cards and put them in Ad
    Hoc (peer to peer) mode. This is also the only real good way if you are
    using dial up.

    If you do the peer-to-peer now, and then go get a router later, you will
    need to put the card in infrastructure mode.

    Hope that helps.

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Walsh
    Waltel - Communications Products and Services

Laptops Virus WiFi Wireless Networking