linking a laptop to a desk top with wifi

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Virus
  • WiFi
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
May 26, 2004 4:51:41 AM

i'm new to this WIFI stuff got card for my laptop and usb WIFI for my
desktop
anything i need to know??

---

More about : linking laptop desk top wifi

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2004 4:51:42 AM

"stubar" <stuart.barratt@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:rRRsc.422$3s5.221
@newsfe4-win:

> i'm new to this WIFI stuff got card for my laptop and usb WIFI for my
> desktop
> anything i need to know??
>

> ---

Yeah, use the ADHOC mode on the cards will allow you to do ICS wireless.
Of course, you''ll need a wire NIC in one machine for the gateway to the
Internet. On the other hand, the simple and more secure approach is to
get a wire/wireless NAT router.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2004 4:51:42 AM

stubar wrote:

> i'm new to this WIFI stuff got card for my laptop and usb WIFI for my
> desktop
> anything i need to know??
>

> ---

I'll agree with the other poster, Duane, about getting a wireless
router. I'll assume that you have broadband such as cable or DSL. If
you have a router now then you can replace it with the wireless one. If
you don't have a router, then it's a good idea to use one, even if you
only have one computer. If you still want to just connect the laptop
and desktop together, then get the two wireless cards and put them in Ad
Hoc (peer to peer) mode. This is also the only real good way if you are
using dial up.

If you do the peer-to-peer now, and then go get a router later, you will
need to put the card in infrastructure mode.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

--
Jeff Walsh
Waltel - Communications Products and Services