Getting access to protected files on old NTFS disk

I recently had a power supply/motherboard problem with my computer. After
the new parts were installed the system would not boot apparently because the
hardware change was not compatible with the installed OS. Dell recomended
that I reinstall the OS. I did not want to loose all my data so I got a new
disk and reinstalled my XP home operating system there. I was able to mount
the original disk and get most of the data off. The exception was for two
user directories that were set to be private on my original system. Does
anyone know how can I get access to these directories?
1 answer Last reply
More about getting access protected files ntfs disk

    "PeteZ" <PeteZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently had a power supply/motherboard problem with my computer. After
    > the new parts were installed the system would not boot apparently because
    > the
    > hardware change was not compatible with the installed OS. Dell recomended
    > that I reinstall the OS. I did not want to loose all my data so I got a
    > new
    > disk and reinstalled my XP home operating system there. I was able to
    > mount
    > the original disk and get most of the data off. The exception was for two
    > user directories that were set to be private on my original system. Does
    > anyone know how can I get access to these directories?

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    For home, you will need to start the computer in Safe Mode to take
    ownership.

    --
    William

Windows XP