Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Laptop for the next two years

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
February 22, 2013 7:20:44 PM

Hey there,

I am leaving for the Ukraine for 2 years. I will have limited to no internet access, but it was highly suggested I bring a laptop with me. I build my own desktop computers - currently have:

Windows 7 64 bit
8 gb ddr3 1600
intel core i5 sandy bridge 3.3ghz
geforce gtx 570

Ideally, I'd like a laptop that is comparable - but due to heat issues, I know a laptop will never be able to match my pc. I am looking for a laptop that is capable of running games such as Skyrim with pretty much no issue. My budget is around $1000 - $1250.

I had my eye set on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But unfortunately newegg is sold out on those. I absolutely MUST MUST MUST have 1920x1080 picture resolution. I made the mistake before to purchase a laptop with a resolution much lower than what I was accustomed to (my old laptop was an acer aspire with only 1366 x 768 ). It also must have a webcam, as the little internet I will have over there I plan on using to converse with my family/gf.

Also, windows 8. I hate that I have to purchase windows 8 with a new laptop. I don't know if there is anyway around this however.

Thanks.

More about : gaming laptop years

February 22, 2013 7:44:40 PM

You can always check out more custom build-to-form laptops.
Personally I picked up a Sager np9170 last year and I love it.

One location, try xoticpc, and check out the np9130 - appears to be in your price range, and includes an option to get win7 - or at least it says that it does.
m
0
l
February 22, 2013 9:51:48 PM

How does it compare with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am comparing the specs, and the only noticable difference is the graphics card. On the lenovo, they are running 650s sli. On the sager, they are running a 670. Thoughts? I'm not a huge fan of running things in SLI, because I'm aware that it only boosts performance at max 50% (or this is what I was told a long time ago when I built my first computer). With that said, I don't know if the lenovo would be that much better. Price wise though, they're both very similar. Only other (nitpicky) issue I see with the Sager is the so-called powerbrick that it comes with.

And the only difference between this lenovo and the one I posted before is the added 4gb memory - which I think is no big deal because most games can't utilize more than 8 as far as I know. The only big reason I am looking at lenovos is because a friend I trust suggested them. I never have owned a Sager, so I don't know. Apparently (according to the blogosphere at least) the older sager models were built poorly. I'm just an uninformed customer at this point though so I'll take any advice I can get.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 22, 2013 9:56:10 PM

Well, from what I can see (since the sager can UG free to the 670MX) that it appears to be very close to the 650m sli - personally I have not run with either so I cannot say for sure there.

4gb should not make a difference on games.

If you really want the Lenovo - there are multiple places listed through Amazon that appear to have configs in stock.
m
0
l
February 22, 2013 10:58:12 PM

I actually just realized the lenovo doesn't come with a cd/dvd drive. This may be the deal breaker, as I definitely want the option to watch a movie/show that's on a disc - i barely ever use it, but I want/need the option. Deal breaker lenovo.
m
0
l
March 3, 2013 7:28:37 PM

Streen15 said:
I actually just realized the lenovo doesn't come with a cd/dvd drive. This may be the deal breaker, as I definitely want the option to watch a movie/show that's on a disc - i barely ever use it, but I want/need the option. Deal breaker lenovo.


if you go to lenovo webpage specially the lenovo barnes and noble you could get this for much cheaper. you can get the y500 model with the dvd player and separetly buy the other 650m since y500 has ultra bay you can swap the dvd player and place in the 650m when you need and have sli or the dvd player when you want to watch a movie or something.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

you also have to add the 170w power brick wich is like $70. all of that sould be around $1050 plus tax wich is much better than the one offered at newegg and if you sing up at the lenovo barnes and noble you could save aaround 70 out of all of that wich is awsome at least thats wham i'm getting. hope this helps
m
0
l
March 4, 2013 4:03:37 AM

Unfortunately, I purchased one through amazon a while ago. That is definitely a good suggestion nonetheless. The extra $70 would have gone a long way in buying windows 7 x64 - which brings me to my next and final question.

The laptop comes with windows 8 installed. After receiving the laptop and fooling around with it, I find myself -hating- windows 8. I know there are plenty of apps that make it look like windows 7, but I'm nonetheless looking at completely reformatting my laptop to get rid of all the bloatware - it came with 15gb of stuff I don't need. So regardless, I would need a windows 8 disc to reformat completely - the one click system recovery thing formats everything with factory conditions, so not what im looking for. The windows 8 key is also not on the bottom of the laptop. After research people have told me that it's in the bios. I looked in the bios but I did not find a key. If I found a key, could I download a windows image from microsoft? Or how would I go about reformatting?

Of course, if I were to purchase a disc, I would go with windows 7 first and foremost because I hate windows 8. It's the future sure, but I like my windows 7. However, I heard a rumor that the y500 doesn't support windows 7, but then I looked at the lenovo site and it does seem like they offer support (can anyone confirm this?).

If I do downgrade, I found this: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-serie...

If I understand this correctly, I need to change some things in my BIOS. Not sure what exactly - wasn't clear. The people in that thread seemed to know more than I did.

Thoughts?
m
0
l
March 4, 2013 5:33:28 PM

werqeweqws
Streen15 said:
Unfortunately, I purchased one through amazon a while ago. That is definitely a good suggestion nonetheless. The extra $70 would have gone a long way in buying windows 7 x64 - which brings me to my next and final question.

The laptop comes with windows 8 installed. After receiving the laptop and fooling around with it, I find myself -hating- windows 8. I know there are plenty of apps that make it look like windows 7, but I'm nonetheless looking at completely reformatting my laptop to get rid of all the bloatware - it came with 15gb of stuff I don't need. So regardless, I would need a windows 8 disc to reformat completely - the one click system recovery thing formats everything with factory conditions, so not what im looking for. The windows 8 key is also not on the bottom of the laptop. After research people have told me that it's in the bios. I looked in the bios but I did not find a key. If I found a key, could I download a windows image from microsoft? Or how would I go about reformatting?

Of course, if I were to purchase a disc, I would go with windows 7 first and foremost because I hate windows 8. It's the future sure, but I like my windows 7. However, I heard a rumor that the y500 doesn't support windows 7, but then I looked at the lenovo site and it does seem like they offer support (can anyone confirm this?).

If I do downgrade, I found this: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-serie...

If I understand this correctly, I need to change some things in my BIOS. Not sure what exactly - wasn't clear. The people in that thread seemed to know more than I did.

Thoughts?


good day
yes indeed key is in the bios what i've read is that with the win8 clean install all you need is the win 8 disc and the key will appear it self since is in bios. i've also read in many forums that gaming is not good on this computer on win7 since it was build specially for win8, i suggest you try win8 i've read that a lot of people hate at first but end up liking win8, i would rather have good gaming and full functionality. just a suggestion my friend.

have you had any issues with the laptop? hows build quality?

regards
m
0
l
March 4, 2013 6:28:26 PM

The build quality is very good. Gets fingerprints really easily, but it's really nice otherwise. Speakers are great.

So under the general tab in windows 8 it gave the option to do a full clean reformat (It's taking forever, it's only at 30% after over 2 hours, i'm starting to get suspicious - as I really don't understand why this should take THIS long). I decided to do this, as I want to get rid of lenovo bloatware. After research, it seems like windows 8 you don't need the cd any more unless you are doing it on, say, a completely new hard drive with no pre-installed windows 8. Windows 8 will allow you to reformat completely, and not ask you for a key since it's attached to the bios.

If this method of reformatting works by removing all the bloatware - I am not sure it does - I will keep windows 8 and fool around with it for a while. Right now I'm more frustrated with all the bloatware than windows 8.

What I found most strange was that when reformatting, two partitions showed up. One was for windows (C) and the other was lenovo. It gave me the option to reformat both - which I did. There is an additional partition that I saw however - the recovery partition. I know laptops come with this, and it is not recommended to delete this partition. However, I am not quite sure if, after the wipe, how I go about using this partition if I need to revert back to lenovo factory conditions - with all the bloatware/pre-installed crap. Which brings me to a question, can I make a back up of this recovery partition on, say, an external hard drive I just bought - and how do I go about using it in the future if my computer runs into problems? Do I just plug my external hard drive into the laptop, boot it up from the external and it should work?

If nothing else, I managed to find a free copy of win7. If I run into serious issues I will just go with windows 7. I have heard certain games run better on windows 8 - especially on systems made for it - but I also hear that the difference is minimal at best. I may be wrong.
m
0
l
March 5, 2013 6:02:36 PM

Streen15 said:
The build quality is very good. Gets fingerprints really easily, but it's really nice otherwise. Speakers are great.

So under the general tab in windows 8 it gave the option to do a full clean reformat (It's taking forever, it's only at 30% after over 2 hours, i'm starting to get suspicious - as I really don't understand why this should take THIS long). I decided to do this, as I want to get rid of lenovo bloatware. After research, it seems like windows 8 you don't need the cd any more unless you are doing it on, say, a completely new hard drive with no pre-installed windows 8. Windows 8 will allow you to reformat completely, and not ask you for a key since it's attached to the bios.

If this method of reformatting works by removing all the bloatware - I am not sure it does - I will keep windows 8 and fool around with it for a while. Right now I'm more frustrated with all the bloatware than windows 8.

What I found most strange was that when reformatting, two partitions showed up. One was for windows (C) and the other was lenovo. It gave me the option to reformat both - which I did. There is an additional partition that I saw however - the recovery partition. I know laptops come with this, and it is not recommended to delete this partition. However, I am not quite sure if, after the wipe, how I go about using this partition if I need to revert back to lenovo factory conditions - with all the bloatware/pre-installed crap. Which brings me to a question, can I make a back up of this recovery partition on, say, an external hard drive I just bought - and how do I go about using it in the future if my computer runs into problems? Do I just plug my external hard drive into the laptop, boot it up from the external and it should work?

If nothing else, I managed to find a free copy of win7. If I run into serious issues I will just go with windows 7. I have heard certain games run better on windows 8 - especially on systems made for it - but I also hear that the difference is minimal at best. I may be wrong.


hope it all works out for you, i think the other partition may be for the onetouch recovery, and abiyt having backups on an external hdd i think that should be possible right. well please do let me know hot it went if you have a chance. thanks
m
0
l
!