All of a sudden, my computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drives. I checked
in Device Manager, and found that the "Plug and Play Software Device
Enumerator" was not installed. I tried to reinstall it in Dev Manager, but
got a notice that the driver I had in there was the best available.
I tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I can't do a repair install
of Win XP because the drives don't work. I tried opening in safe mode, but
the same thing.
Is there a way to reinstall that file from the windows folder?
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Bill.

Try add/remove programs,windows components,chk the box for plug and
play.

"Billy Canuck" wrote:

> All of a sudden, my computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drives. I checked
> in Device Manager, and found that the "Plug and Play Software Device
> Enumerator" was not installed. I tried to reinstall it in Dev Manager, but
> got a notice that the driver I had in there was the best available.
> I tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I can't do a repair install
> of Win XP because the drives don't work. I tried opening in safe mode, but
> the same thing.
> Is there a way to reinstall that file from the windows folder?
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
> Bill.

Andrew: Thanks for the answer. I checked the Windows components in
add/remove programs, and Plug and Play isn't listed there.
This is a real mystery to me. Can you think of anything else?
Bill.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Try add/remove programs,windows components,chk the box for plug and
> play.
>
> "Billy Canuck" wrote:
>
> > All of a sudden, my computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drives. I checked
> > in Device Manager, and found that the "Plug and Play Software Device
> > Enumerator" was not installed. I tried to reinstall it in Dev Manager, but
> > got a notice that the driver I had in there was the best available.
> > I tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I can't do a repair install
> > of Win XP because the drives don't work. I tried opening in safe mode, but
> > the same thing.
> > Is there a way to reinstall that file from the windows folder?
> > Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
> > Bill.

Andrew:
I found the problem. It was my Soundblaster Live Value Driver. It had
somehow crashed and took the Plug and Play system with it. Go figure.
I reloaded the driver, and everything looks fine now.
Thanks again for answering my post.
Bill.