Plug and Play not working

All of a sudden, my computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drives. I checked
in Device Manager, and found that the "Plug and Play Software Device
Enumerator" was not installed. I tried to reinstall it in Dev Manager, but
got a notice that the driver I had in there was the best available.
I tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I can't do a repair install
of Win XP because the drives don't work. I tried opening in safe mode, but
the same thing.
Is there a way to reinstall that file from the windows folder?
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Bill.
3 answers Last reply
More about plug play working

    Try add/remove programs,windows components,chk the box for plug and
    play.

    "Billy Canuck" wrote:

    > All of a sudden, my computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drives. I checked
    > in Device Manager, and found that the "Plug and Play Software Device
    > Enumerator" was not installed. I tried to reinstall it in Dev Manager, but
    > got a notice that the driver I had in there was the best available.
    > I tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I can't do a repair install
    > of Win XP because the drives don't work. I tried opening in safe mode, but
    > the same thing.
    > Is there a way to reinstall that file from the windows folder?
    > Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    > Bill.

    Andrew: Thanks for the answer. I checked the Windows components in
    add/remove programs, and Plug and Play isn't listed there.
    This is a real mystery to me. Can you think of anything else?
    Bill.

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Try add/remove programs,windows components,chk the box for plug and
    > play.
    >
    > "Billy Canuck" wrote:
    >
    > > All of a sudden, my computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drives. I checked
    > > in Device Manager, and found that the "Plug and Play Software Device
    > > Enumerator" was not installed. I tried to reinstall it in Dev Manager, but
    > > got a notice that the driver I had in there was the best available.
    > > I tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I can't do a repair install
    > > of Win XP because the drives don't work. I tried opening in safe mode, but
    > > the same thing.
    > > Is there a way to reinstall that file from the windows folder?
    > > Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    > > Bill.

    Andrew:
    I found the problem. It was my Soundblaster Live Value Driver. It had
    somehow crashed and took the Plug and Play system with it. Go figure.
    I reloaded the driver, and everything looks fine now.
    Thanks again for answering my post.
    Bill.

    "Billy Canuck" wrote:

    > Andrew: Thanks for the answer. I checked the Windows components in
    > add/remove programs, and Plug and Play isn't listed there.
    > This is a real mystery to me. Can you think of anything else?
    > Bill.
    >
    > "Andrew E." wrote:
    >
    > > Try add/remove programs,windows components,chk the box for plug and
    > > play.
    > >
    > > "Billy Canuck" wrote:
    > >
    > > > All of a sudden, my computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drives. I checked
    > > > in Device Manager, and found that the "Plug and Play Software Device
    > > > Enumerator" was not installed. I tried to reinstall it in Dev Manager, but
    > > > got a notice that the driver I had in there was the best available.
    > > > I tried System Restore, but that didn't work. I can't do a repair install
    > > > of Win XP because the drives don't work. I tried opening in safe mode, but
    > > > the same thing.
    > > > Is there a way to reinstall that file from the windows folder?
    > > > Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    > > > Bill.

Plug And Play Windows XP