Requirements for fresh installation with upgrade CD

August 18, 2005 12:59:36 AM

I have a computer which a friend built in about 1997, originally using a
Pentium II, later upgraded to a Pentium III with 256MB of RAM. He sold
it to me cheap after he built a much more modern system. While not as
fast as a Pentium 4, this machine remains quite adequate for many purposes.

The OS history of this computer is that it originally had the full
version of Windows 95 and subsequently was upgraded to Windows 98 and
later to Windows XP Home. I have all the original installation CDs and
product keys. Now the hard drive has failed and before I invest in a
replacement drive I have a question about re-installing Windows XP.

Rather than installing upgrade upon upgrade as was done originally, I
want to do a fresh install of Windows XP using the Windows XP Upgrade
CD. I know that you can do this if you have a prior version which is
acceptable for the upgrade. But here's the rub: Windows 98 qualifies for
the Windows XP upgrade but Windows 95 does not. If I try to use the
Windows 95 full version CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP
upgrade, it should not work. What will happen if I try to use the
Windows 98 upgrade CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP
upgrade? I have a feeling that may not work either, and yet it seems to
me that if I could start with Windows 95 and do multiple upgrades to get
to Windows XP, I should be able to do a clean install too. Is it
possible to do this? If so, what special procedures are required, if any?

Thanks!

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true email address to
prevent spam. Thank you.

The worst that can happen(if 95 was a non qualifier) is XP will ask for the
98 disc see that it is an upgrade and then ask for the 95 disc as
verification. This happened to me with ME and 98,Me was an upgrade
version,XP saw it as such and asked for the 98 CD ..........sounds silly but
it happened.
peterk

"John" <notme@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I have a computer which a friend built in about 1997, originally using a
>Pentium II, later upgraded to a Pentium III with 256MB of RAM. He sold it
>to me cheap after he built a much more modern system. While not as fast as
>a Pentium 4, this machine remains quite adequate for many purposes.
>
> The OS history of this computer is that it originally had the full version
> of Windows 95 and subsequently was upgraded to Windows 98 and later to
> Windows XP Home. I have all the original installation CDs and product
> keys. Now the hard drive has failed and before I invest in a replacement
> drive I have a question about re-installing Windows XP.
>
> Rather than installing upgrade upon upgrade as was done originally, I want
> to do a fresh install of Windows XP using the Windows XP Upgrade CD. I
> know that you can do this if you have a prior version which is acceptable
> for the upgrade. But here's the rub: Windows 98 qualifies for the Windows
> XP upgrade but Windows 95 does not. If I try to use the Windows 95 full
> version CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP upgrade, it
> should not work. What will happen if I try to use the Windows 98 upgrade
> CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP upgrade? I have a feeling
> that may not work either, and yet it seems to me that if I could start
> with Windows 95 and do multiple upgrades to get to Windows XP, I should be
> able to do a clean install too. Is it possible to do this? If so, what
> special procedures are required, if any?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
> --
> Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true email address to
> prevent spam. Thank you.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:07:39 AM

A Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME CD will be acceptable
as a qualifying CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"John" wrote:

| I have a computer which a friend built in about 1997, originally using a
| Pentium II, later upgraded to a Pentium III with 256MB of RAM. He sold
| it to me cheap after he built a much more modern system. While not as
| fast as a Pentium 4, this machine remains quite adequate for many purposes.
|
| The OS history of this computer is that it originally had the full
| version of Windows 95 and subsequently was upgraded to Windows 98 and
| later to Windows XP Home. I have all the original installation CDs and
| product keys. Now the hard drive has failed and before I invest in a
| replacement drive I have a question about re-installing Windows XP.
|
| Rather than installing upgrade upon upgrade as was done originally, I
| want to do a fresh install of Windows XP using the Windows XP Upgrade
| CD. I know that you can do this if you have a prior version which is
| acceptable for the upgrade. But here's the rub: Windows 98 qualifies for
| the Windows XP upgrade but Windows 95 does not. If I try to use the
| Windows 95 full version CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP
| upgrade, it should not work. What will happen if I try to use the
| Windows 98 upgrade CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP
| upgrade? I have a feeling that may not work either, and yet it seems to
| me that if I could start with Windows 95 and do multiple upgrades to get
| to Windows XP, I should be able to do a clean install too. Is it
| possible to do this? If so, what special procedures are required, if any?
|
| Thanks!
|
| John
| --
| Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true email address to
| prevent spam. Thank you.
August 18, 2005 1:18:31 AM

The Win98 upgrade CD will qualify as proof. Do a clean (new) install of XP, and during setup you'll be prompted, and you can pop the 98CD in.
Highly suggest you kick up the RAM to at least 384MB total.

Guide to upgrading (or new install) Win XP at Aumha.org by Gary Woodruff
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

John wrote:
> I have a computer which a friend built in about 1997, originally
> using a Pentium II, later upgraded to a Pentium III with 256MB of
> RAM. He sold it to me cheap after he built a much more modern system.
> While not as fast as a Pentium 4, this machine remains quite adequate
> for many purposes.
>
> The OS history of this computer is that it originally had the full
> version of Windows 95 and subsequently was upgraded to Windows 98 and
> later to Windows XP Home. I have all the original installation CDs and
> product keys. Now the hard drive has failed and before I invest in a
> replacement drive I have a question about re-installing Windows XP.
>
> Rather than installing upgrade upon upgrade as was done originally, I
> want to do a fresh install of Windows XP using the Windows XP Upgrade
> CD. I know that you can do this if you have a prior version which is
> acceptable for the upgrade. But here's the rub: Windows 98 qualifies
> for the Windows XP upgrade but Windows 95 does not. If I try to use
> the Windows 95 full version CD as proof that I qualify to use the
> Windows XP upgrade, it should not work. What will happen if I try to
> use the Windows 98 upgrade CD as proof that I qualify to use the
> Windows XP upgrade? I have a feeling that may not work either, and
> yet it seems to me that if I could start with Windows 95 and do
> multiple upgrades to get to Windows XP, I should be able to do a
> clean install too. Is it possible to do this? If so, what special
> procedures are required, if any?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:02:01 PM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:59:36 -0500, John <notme@nospam.org> wrote:

>I have a computer which a friend built in about 1997, originally using a
>Pentium II, later upgraded to a Pentium III with 256MB of RAM. He sold
>it to me cheap after he built a much more modern system. While not as
>fast as a Pentium 4, this machine remains quite adequate for many purposes.
>
>The OS history of this computer is that it originally had the full
>version of Windows 95 and subsequently was upgraded to Windows 98 and
>later to Windows XP Home. I have all the original installation CDs and
>product keys. Now the hard drive has failed and before I invest in a
>replacement drive I have a question about re-installing Windows XP.
>
>Rather than installing upgrade upon upgrade as was done originally, I
>want to do a fresh install of Windows XP using the Windows XP Upgrade
>CD. I know that you can do this if you have a prior version which is
>acceptable for the upgrade. But here's the rub: Windows 98 qualifies for
>the Windows XP upgrade but Windows 95 does not. If I try to use the
>Windows 95 full version CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP
>upgrade, it should not work. What will happen if I try to use the
>Windows 98 upgrade CD as proof that I qualify to use the Windows XP
>upgrade? I have a feeling that may not work either, and yet it seems to
>me that if I could start with Windows 95 and do multiple upgrades to get
>to Windows XP, I should be able to do a clean install too. Is it
>possible to do this? If so, what special procedures are required, if any?
>
>Thanks!
>
>John

Curiously, while the Retail version of Windows 95 is not mentioned in
the Upgrade path for Windows XP, the disk itself CAN be used as proof
of a qualifying product.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order