Cursor help

tmartin

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello, I have a cursor that skips or jumps around on the screen all by itself whenever I'm composing a message in email or working on a document in MS 7 word processing. Usually happens when I stop typing for a moment, and when I resume typing the new text shows up somewhere else on the page other than where I started to type. I've tried to find an option to address the movement of the cursor, but have not found it yet. Thanks.

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Above this screen, you see tools, click
click on internet options

click on advanced
In the browsing section, near the bottom near international.

To change the sensitivity of the mouse, go to control panel...mouse

Can it be your mouse?

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

cogNETive

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

It doesn't sound like an issue of sensitivity unless your using a laptop that has a touch pad. If it is a laptop with a touch-pad, your hand can sometimes inadvertently move the mouse cursor when typing. This used to happen to me all the time until I got around to installing the proper drivers for the touch-pad. Most touch-pad drivers will add a tab to the mouse options in the control panel which will allow you to change the pressure sensitivity among other things and eliminate this annoyance.

If this is your case, I would suggest that you find the proper touch-pad drivers and then check out the mouse options from the control panel for a pressure sensitivity setting.

Hope this helps...

tmartin

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
8/10/10

Thanks very much for your suggestions regarding my "jumping cursor".

We do have a laptop with a wireless mouse (sorry, I should have mentioned that in the beginning). Before your suggestions came in, we eventually downloaded a program called TouchFreeze, which seems to be working well. The cursor is behaving!

If things change, we'll look at the touch-pad drivers as suggested.

Thanks again for your help.

TMartin