Change IRQ assignments

I am not sure how to follow this tech support instruction:

This article will have Bios and Windows settings that will help free up
resourses on non used devices.
Note after going through these steps you may need to "Reset the
Configeration Data"(ECC Data). This will recycle the IRQs and free up the
non used ones that might still being reserved by the motherboard.

BIOS setup on my Micron Millennia TS doesn't explicitly list a reset
configuration. How do I have the computer reassign the IRQ assignments?

There is a Belkin 5-port USB 2 PCI card installed.

The goal is to have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on an independent IRQ.

msinfo32 lists my IRQ assignments as:

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Logitech PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
IRQ 12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 RADEON X700 Series OK
IRQ 17 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
IRQ 20 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection OK
IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) OK
IRQ 22 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 23 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK
8 answers Last reply
More about change assignments

    IRQ assignments are managed by device drivers, BIOS and OS configuration.
    The only way to manually assign an IRQ to a device on an XP computer running
    in ACPI mode(like yours), is to change to a "standard PC HAL". This can be
    done through device manager and will revert the pc back to the classic 15
    IRQ lines. You still wont be allowed to manage resources in Windows, but you
    can force changes through BIOS.

    Brian P.
    A+, Network+, MCP

    "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am not sure how to follow this tech support instruction:
    >
    > This article will have Bios and Windows settings that will help free up
    > resourses on non used devices.
    > Note after going through these steps you may need to "Reset the
    > Configeration Data"(ECC Data). This will recycle the IRQs and free up the
    > non used ones that might still being reserved by the motherboard.
    >
    > BIOS setup on my Micron Millennia TS doesn't explicitly list a reset
    > configuration. How do I have the computer reassign the IRQ assignments?
    >
    > There is a Belkin 5-port USB 2 PCI card installed.
    >
    > The goal is to have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on an independent IRQ.
    >
    > msinfo32 lists my IRQ assignments as:
    >
    > IRQ 0 System timer OK
    > IRQ 1 Logitech PS/2 Keyboard OK
    > IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    > IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    > IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    > IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
    > IRQ 12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 OK
    > IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    > IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    > IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    > IRQ 16 RADEON X700 Series OK
    > IRQ 17 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
    > IRQ 20 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection OK
    > IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 21 Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) OK
    > IRQ 22 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 23 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK

    Not.

    I get the impression from the Creative Tech support that moving the PCI
    cards to different locations will change the IRQ assignments. Right now the
    cards are positioned because of where the external connectors are located.

    Is sharing an IRQ with the PCI to USB Host controller an inherently bad
    alignment?

    Arne

    "Brian" wrote:

    > IRQ assignments are managed by device drivers, BIOS and OS configuration.
    > The only way to manually assign an IRQ to a device on an XP computer running
    > in ACPI mode(like yours), is to change to a "standard PC HAL". This can be
    > done through device manager and will revert the pc back to the classic 15
    > IRQ lines. You still wont be allowed to manage resources in Windows, but you
    > can force changes through BIOS.
    >
    > Brian P.
    > A+, Network+, MCP
    >

    > "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am not sure how to follow this tech support instruction:
    > >
    > > This article will have Bios and Windows settings that will help free up
    > > resourses on non used devices.
    > > Note after going through these steps you may need to "Reset the
    > > Configeration Data"(ECC Data). This will recycle the IRQs and free up the
    > > non used ones that might still being reserved by the motherboard.
    > >
    > > BIOS setup on my Micron Millennia TS doesn't explicitly list a reset
    > > configuration. How do I have the computer reassign the IRQ assignments?
    > >
    > > There is a Belkin 5-port USB 2 PCI card installed.
    > >
    > > The goal is to have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on an independent IRQ.
    > >
    > > msinfo32 lists my IRQ assignments as:
    > >
    > > IRQ 0 System timer OK
    > > IRQ 1 Logitech PS/2 Keyboard OK
    > > IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    > > IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    > > IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    > > IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
    > > IRQ 12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 OK
    > > IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    > > IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    > > IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    > > IRQ 16 RADEON X700 Series OK
    > > IRQ 17 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    > > IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
    > > IRQ 20 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection OK
    > > IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    > > IRQ 21 Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) OK
    > > IRQ 22 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    > > IRQ 23 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    > > IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK

    Changing slots may get it another IRQ line, but its not up to you. You cant
    manually assign or allolcate an IRQ to a certian PCI slot while your OS in
    using the ACPI HAL. Windows will just override the settings you have in the
    BIOS. If you want Windows to use the IRQ settings you define in BIOS, you
    must change your HAL to Standard PC.

    IRQ sharing usually works pretty well as long as you dont have to many
    devices using the same IRQ. If your having problems with devices on the same
    IRQ lines, (in your case, maybe audio dropouts)then yes you may need to
    consider updating your device drivers or changing the HAL so you can make
    changes.
    GL

    > Not.
    >
    > I get the impression from the Creative Tech support that moving the PCI
    > cards to different locations will change the IRQ assignments. Right now
    the
    > cards are positioned because of where the external connectors are located.
    >
    > Is sharing an IRQ with the PCI to USB Host controller an inherently bad
    > alignment?
    >
    > Arne
    >
    > "Brian" wrote:
    >
    > > IRQ assignments are managed by device drivers, BIOS and OS
    configuration.
    > > The only way to manually assign an IRQ to a device on an XP computer
    running
    > > in ACPI mode(like yours), is to change to a "standard PC HAL". This can
    be
    > > done through device manager and will revert the pc back to the classic
    15
    > > IRQ lines. You still wont be allowed to manage resources in Windows, but
    you
    > > can force changes through BIOS.
    > >
    > > Brian P.
    > > A+, Network+, MCP
    > >

    > > "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am not sure how to follow this tech support instruction:
    > > >
    > > > This article will have Bios and Windows settings that will help free
    up
    > > > resourses on non used devices.
    > > > Note after going through these steps you may need to "Reset the
    > > > Configeration Data"(ECC Data). This will recycle the IRQs and free up
    the
    > > > non used ones that might still being reserved by the motherboard.
    > > >
    > > > BIOS setup on my Micron Millennia TS doesn't explicitly list a reset
    > > > configuration. How do I have the computer reassign the IRQ
    assignments?

    > > > There is a Belkin 5-port USB 2 PCI card installed.
    > > >
    > > > The goal is to have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on an independent
    IRQ.

    > > > msinfo32 lists my IRQ assignments as:
    > > >
    > > > IRQ 0 System timer OK
    > > > IRQ 1 Logitech PS/2 Keyboard OK
    > > > IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    > > > IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    > > > IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    > > > IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
    > > > IRQ 12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 OK
    > > > IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    > > > IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    > > > IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    > > > IRQ 16 RADEON X700 Series OK
    > > > IRQ 17 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    > > > IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
    > > > IRQ 20 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection OK
    > > > IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    > > > IRQ 21 Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) OK
    > > > IRQ 22 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    > > > IRQ 23 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    > > > IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK

    In article <6F5A6D73-4F96-4CE8-BBE8-A0D63A529460@microsoft.com>, Arne
    says...

    > The goal is to have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on an independent IRQ.

    Why? If you're having issues with the Audigy, it's entirely to do with
    PCI latency, not the IRQ sharing. Download the PCI Latency Tool and set
    it to 64 for the Audigy.

    If you really insist on wanting to assign IRQs manually, I can help you
    with that but it is a royal PITA.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

    No thanks,

    I am going to try removing the USB II PCI card and/ or Sound Blaster card
    moving to another PCI slot and see what happens.

    For the most part the sound card in functioning OK, with occassional drop
    outs. This problem became an issue when all of the Creative Programs
    disappeared from All Programs, even though all of the Sound Blaster files
    were present.

    If XP Home can sort out the problem by rebooting with a different selection
    of PCI slots, that is fine. Otherwise, the system runs well enough.

    Thank you,

    Arne

    "Conor" wrote:

    > In article <6F5A6D73-4F96-4CE8-BBE8-A0D63A529460@microsoft.com>, Arne
    > says...
    >
    > > The goal is to have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on an independent IRQ.
    > >
    > Why? If you're having issues with the Audigy, it's entirely to do with
    > PCI latency, not the IRQ sharing. Download the PCI Latency Tool and set
    > it to 64 for the Audigy.
    >
    > If you really insist on wanting to assign IRQs manually, I can help you
    > with that but it is a royal PITA.
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    > rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    > music.

    Arne

    Windows will dynamically assign IRQ's and has no problem with them being
    shared.. sometimes, switching slots can get over problems.. best not to use
    the slot nearest the AGP video card..

    I have found Creative software to be less than perfect, and choose not to
    install any of the Creative stuff other than the drivers.. you may like to
    see if that works for you too..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > No thanks,
    >
    > I am going to try removing the USB II PCI card and/ or Sound Blaster card
    > moving to another PCI slot and see what happens.
    >
    > For the most part the sound card in functioning OK, with occassional drop
    > outs. This problem became an issue when all of the Creative Programs
    > disappeared from All Programs, even though all of the Sound Blaster files
    > were present.
    >
    > If XP Home can sort out the problem by rebooting with a different
    > selection
    > of PCI slots, that is fine. Otherwise, the system runs well enough.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Arne
    >
    > "Conor" wrote:
    >
    >> In article <6F5A6D73-4F96-4CE8-BBE8-A0D63A529460@microsoft.com>, Arne
    >> says...
    >>
    >> > The goal is to have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on an independent
    >> > IRQ.
    >> >
    >> Why? If you're having issues with the Audigy, it's entirely to do with
    >> PCI latency, not the IRQ sharing. Download the PCI Latency Tool and set
    >> it to 64 for the Audigy.
    >>
    >> If you really insist on wanting to assign IRQs manually, I can help you
    >> with that but it is a royal PITA.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Conor
    >>
    >> If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    >> rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    >> music.

    I found that it is possible to change IRQ assignments in BIOS

    Manual selection of IRQ in BIOS:

    Slot 3 IRQ11 (empty)
    Slot 4 IRQ 7 SB audigy 2
    Slot 5 Belkin 5 port USB 2 (not configurable)

    Slots 1-4 are empty

    With only Slot 4 is set to IRQ 7 the SB was at IRQ 7
    when I added IRQ 11 to Slot 3 the following assignments were made:

    IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Logitech PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
    IRQ 12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 RADEON X700 Series OK
    IRQ 17 Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
    IRQ 20 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection OK
    IRQ 21 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 21 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK

    I had to run the Creative diagnostics to "fix" the set up before the sound
    card would work.

    All in all, I think the time and effort was worthwhile.

    Arne

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Arne
    >
    > Windows will dynamically assign IRQ's and has no problem with them being
    > shared.. sometimes, switching slots can get over problems.. best not to use
    > the slot nearest the AGP video card..
    >
    > I have found Creative software to be less than perfect, and choose not to
    > install any of the Creative stuff other than the drivers.. you may like to
    > see if that works for you too..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No thanks,
    > >
    > > I am going to try removing the USB II PCI card and/ or Sound Blaster card
    > > moving to another PCI slot and see what happens.
    > >
    > > For the most part the sound card in functioning OK, with occassional drop
    > > outs. This problem became an issue when all of the Creative Programs
    > > disappeared from All Programs, even though all of the Sound Blaster files
    > > were present.
    > >
    > > If XP Home can sort out the problem by rebooting with a different
    > > selection
    > > of PCI slots, that is fine. Otherwise, the system runs well enough.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Arne
    > >
    > > "Conor" wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <6F5A6D73-4F96-4CE8-BBE8-A0D63A529460@microsoft.com>, Arne
    > >> says...

    > >> Why? If you're having issues with the Audigy, it's entirely to do with
    > >> PCI latency, not the IRQ sharing. Download the PCI Latency Tool and set
    > >> it to 64 for the Audigy.
    > >>
    > >> If you really insist on wanting to assign IRQs manually, I can help you
    > >> with that but it is a royal PITA.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Conor
    > >>
    > >> If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    > >> rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    > >> music.

    Can you walk me through how you did this BIOS change.

    I have concluded I need to do this - Device Manager does not give me the
    options

    .. I have resource conflicts when reisntalling a Sitecom USB 2 card which
    conflicts with 2 other devices. I am only using 1 of 3 PCE slots - the
    conflicting devices are a graphics driver and numeric data processor - both
    system devioces so not physically removable/swappable - and have tried the
    USB card in all available slots with no improvement. The conflict results in
    Code 10 and Code 12 errors.

    Any helpful suggestions appreciated

    jim_50

Windows XP