ATI, whats up with them

At http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/8500
they had really bad experience with the 8500 card. I mean much worst then the radeon it seems like. Kind of has be concerned about it. I don't plan on a video card purchase until december anyway. WE'll see what happens.

I will say this that this is definitly a huge embarrassment for ATI. Drivers don't work, half the features don't work. No way in hell anyone smart enough is going to fork up 300-400 dollars for something that doesn't work or "has potential". I agree with hardOCP that when you buy the product you don't want potential you want it to work strait out of the box with no issues. Looks like ATI blew it once again. So because of this i'm keeping one eye open for the geforce3 Ti 500. However i need a tv tuner. Firewire ports i can live without for a little while. I only have 2 PCI ports available. Maybe buy the audigy sound card with the firewire port on it? *shrugs*

ATI vs Nvidia... if ATI keeps up with the horrible product releases they won't be around much longer in my opinion :(

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

darkmatter

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
I agree. I'm looking to buy at the same time (Dec). Doesn't this happen with every ATI release? As far as capture goes, the AIW is the most popular card on the market but ATI STILL has capture driver issues with the AIW 128 which is at least 2 1/2 years old. Based on past display performance, what is the chance they will fix the 8500 diver problem soon?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well if you use W2K which that review was based on then yeap, ATI has problems. If you use Win9x as in Win98 or WinMe then the Radeon 8500 is the fastest card on the market beating the GF3 TI500 with the best image quality. Now if you thinking of upgrading to XP that is even a worst thought at the moment with ATI. I am sure ATI was surprised that virtually no one used Win9x to test their new Baby out. Well I think Tom and AnAndTek was tired of the less then steller lame drivers ATI where producing in W2K and obviously XP and gave ATI the ringer. ATI is better then this, just wished they believed it. ATI needs to do something fast, now I think the GameCube will help ATI from really dropping out of the scene. Really I kinda smile at how Nvidia pulled this one out from no where. The Radeon 8500 is clearly a superior piece of hardware but most people wouldn't know that now. Competition at its best, hopefully it won't break ATI's back. Charge forward ATI release the real monster, <b>THE MAX</b>, except make sure it works right first :smile: .

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 10/19/01 04:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i think Hardocp is a little baised. Well if the Radeon had a Problem with the Athlon XP they should of waited for the driver. They could of used the T-Bird 1.4ghz. Instead used the Radeon 8500 crippled by the AthlonXP.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

darkmatter

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
The review on this site by Tom agreed with AnAndtech that the ATI falls significantly behind nVidia and he used WinMe (why would ANYBODY, let alone an expert, use Millenium for anything but a coaster!?!).

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Thanks for the correction, hmmmmm, P4 seems to be not to well optimized for the Radeon 8500. At Rivastation with an Athlon and Win9x the Radeon 8500 did better against the TI500 (not by much). A new set of drivers are out now:
This time, the Reboot fella's have a brand-spankin' new set of Win9x and Win2k drivers, bringing them to versions 4.13.7199 and 5.13.3281, respectively.
Rage3d.com

<A HREF="http://www.maxreboot.com/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=16" target="_new">Download here</A>
Initial results seems to improve performance at least in 3dMark2001 (big deal). Well maybe ATI is furious at work fine tuning now.