laptop battery wont charge

Good Evening, I have a Compaq Presario 2700US laptop running Windows XP Home
and SP2. I purchased a new battery course the old one would not charge
anymore. Now, this one will not charge either. I don't know what the problem
could be. I have had a few issues with XP and run a recovery console when I
need to. What steps do I need to take to get the laptop to recognize the new
battery? It's very frustrating especially that these batteries are so
expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about laptop battery wont charge

    A. This is not a Windows XP issue - you should be talking to Compaq.

    B. Little known feature on many (most, all??) laptops is a battery
    calibration feature. Hold down F6 as the machine is powering up (while
    running on AC) should get you to it. It will run the battery through full
    discharge/recharge cycles to condition it, and to determine its actual
    capacity. If this shows the new battery is shot, you may have a problem
    with the charging or power control components in the laptop. Again, talk to
    Compaq.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's

    "lovemylaptop" <lovemylaptop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Good Evening, I have a Compaq Presario 2700US laptop running Windows XP Home
    and SP2. I purchased a new battery course the old one would not charge
    anymore. Now, this one will not charge either. I don't know what the problem
    could be. I have had a few issues with XP and run a recovery console when I
    need to. What steps do I need to take to get the laptop to recognize the new
    battery? It's very frustrating especially that these batteries are so
    expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Did you properly " Condition " the battery before use? It is important to
    condition (fully discharge and then fully charge) the battery every two to
    three weeks. Failure to do so may shorten the battery's life (this does not
    apply to Li-Ion batteries, which do not require conditioning). To discharge,
    run your laptop under the battery's power until it shuts down or until you
    get a low battery warning. Then recharge the battery as instructed in your
    user's manual. the battery may require three to four charge/discharge cycles
    before achieving maximum capacity.

    "lovemylaptop" <lovemylaptop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Good Evening, I have a Compaq Presario 2700US laptop running Windows XP
    > and SP2. I purchased a new battery course the old one would not charge
    > anymore. Now, this one will not charge either. I don't know what the
    > problem
    > could be. I have had a few issues with XP and run a recovery console when
    > need to. What steps do I need to take to get the laptop to recognize the
    > new
    > battery? It's very frustrating especially that these batteries are so
    > expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Thank you for responding so quickly. I couldn't "Condition" the battery
    properly. I put the battery in the laptop and the orange battery light kept
    blinking. I left it in overnight and still, a 0 charge and a blinking orange
    light. I hope this information will be more helpful. Thanks pcbutts1.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Did you properly " Condition " the battery before use? It is important to
    > condition (fully discharge and then fully charge) the battery every two to
    > three weeks. Failure to do so may shorten the battery's life (this does not
    > apply to Li-Ion batteries, which do not require conditioning). To discharge,
    > run your laptop under the battery's power until it shuts down or until you
    > get a low battery warning. Then recharge the battery as instructed in your
    > user's manual. the battery may require three to four charge/discharge cycles
    > before achieving maximum capacity.

    > "lovemylaptop" <lovemylaptop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Good Evening, I have a Compaq Presario 2700US laptop running Windows XP
    > > and SP2. I purchased a new battery course the old one would not charge
    > > anymore. Now, this one will not charge either. I don't know what the
    > > problem
    > > could be. I have had a few issues with XP and run a recovery console when
    > > need to. What steps do I need to take to get the laptop to recognize the
    > > new
    > > battery? It's very frustrating especially that these batteries are so
    > > expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Laptop Battery Windows XP