xpsp2 firewall

Hi all. Any help gratefully appreciated. I have XP Home edition with XPSP1
update. I have now installed XPSP2. Each time I boot up my PC and go to
Control Panel/Security Center or Control Panel/Windows Firewall, they both
indicate that the Firewall is 'off'. I then set it to 'on' of course. The
next time I turn my PC off and reboot the setting has been changed to
firewall being 'off'.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled XPSP2 twice with the same result. Why is
this happening please and how do I remedy it?

Best wishes. Sally

Kindly cease doing any more de-install or re-install of SP2. That might lead to more complications.

Check the status of the Windows Firewall. From Start menu, select RUN, then type in

SERVICES.MSC <Enter-key>

Scroll down to Windows Firewall. What is the Status and Startup type ?

One more thing: Do you have a 3rd-party security suite? If so, what is it? Does it include a firewall too?
Your XP should only have 1 firewall active on it --- either the Win XP firewall, or the 3rd-party firewall.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User