darkmatter

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
The ATI site says the 8500 AIW will be released Fall 2001. Anyone have any guesses how much the AIW features will add to the $210 the bare 8500 is going for. How about VIVO, if and when it is available. How much has ATI upped the cash request for the VIVO on past models? I know the current price difference between the Radeon and the Radeon VIVO, but what was it at the time of release?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Well, I saw somewhere that the Radeon 8500 (MSRP $299) had an AiW coming out, and checked the ATI site. I believe I saw them say something around the level of $449 MSRP. So, that could be off $50 either way though. So, you're probably looking at a $300-$350 card on the market when it comes out to start, baring a drastic price cut.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

yellowood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
From what I read in the digit-life 8500 review

<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles/r8500.new/index.html" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles/r8500.new/index.html</A>

Only the the 8500 AIW card will be equipped with ViVo capabilities.

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...

G

On newegg.com you can order the 8500 AiW for $399, but they are not in stock.

Save the children :smile:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That Radeon 8500 is a beast. remote control, tv tuner, DVI, !!!Firewire!!!, Radeon 8500 core w/ 64mb DDR. Oh yeah...

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
what you need it all 4?
will you really use it?
fire wire???shish...

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Firewire and USB2 are the future of peripheral connectivity. No more parallel ports, no more serial ports, no more PS/2 ports, no more 31/2" floppy drives!!!! We NEED TO GET RID OF ALL THIS LEGACY STUFF! It's slowing down our PCs!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
wont be that simple, and anyway those ports shouldnt be using the graphic port rather then mobo's built-in output ports

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LoveGuRu on 10/20/01 12:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

darkmatter

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
So, they're charging almost $200 for the AIW features? For that, I certainly hope they fixed all the bugs in the drivers and utilities that run the AIW features. Over at http//:www.vcdhelp.com [url] every...kMatter on 10/20/01 11:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I'm with you on the AiW. I got an 8500 for $215 (free shipping). I'm not laying down another $185 for the AiW, especialy since I already have a decent firewire capture card and probably won't use the features that much. I would much rather save the $$$ for a future video card upgrade.

Unlike you, I'm a gambling sort of guy and figured the odds were good that my $215 would be worth it for the 8500, so I just went for it...

I hope I don't regret it...

Save the children :smile:

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
uhh..dont be sad mommy will buy you one that supports IE^3

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Right now the AIW Radeon has a list price of $300, and you can find it Online for $176. This is about a 40% difference in price. We can safley assume that the Radeon 8500 AIW will be around the same price shortly after it comes out (within 6 months). This will place it in the $250-$300 price range.

As for all those features, you will have to understand what ATI is trying to do with its AIW line. The main goal is to unite the TV and Home theater experince with that of the Computer. No other company has dedicated so much resources and will power, whether you are watching TV on you screen, sending the video signal out to a TV monitor for playing big games on, or running DVD video, other than ATI. Their goal is about to take a huge step forward with the new AIW, mainly that you will not be limited to sending the signal out through S-video, or composite output, but through the HDTV format Component Video output. In this, ATI will be able to say that it has a mainsteam product that can seamlessly converge both the upgradablity and customization of the computer, and the big picture, big sound and features, of a true Home theater. You may never use the all features that come on this card, such as the remote, or the firewire, and for that, I would recommend you stay away from the AIW, but for those who have been searching for an inexpensive way of converging these two worlds, ATI is a God Sent.

If it works for you then don't fix it.