My drive can read DVD's but does not recognize blank ones

I have a sony vaio k37 and it says that it can burn dvd's. I've watched dvd's
on numerous occassions but just recently started trying to burn them. The
problem is when I put a blank DVD+R disc in, it doesn't seem to know what to
do. I can't access the disc in that drive. I've updated all the drivers but I
still can't seem to recognize blank DVD's. What should I do?
3 answers Last reply
More about drive read recognize blank ones

    Hi

    Have you installed any DVD burning software - XP doesn't include any?

    http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc75/index.jhtml
    http://www.nero.com/eng/Products.html

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "SkaFinger" <SkaFinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a sony vaio k37 and it says that it can burn dvd's. I've watched
    >dvd's
    > on numerous occassions but just recently started trying to burn them. The
    > problem is when I put a blank DVD+R disc in, it doesn't seem to know what
    > do. I can't access the disc in that drive. I've updated all the drivers
    > but I
    > still can't seem to recognize blank DVD's. What should I do?

    I do have a couple programs that can burn DVD's. I have Nero 6 and Sonic
    Record Now. I thought that maybe that was the case but the problem still
    persists. I was listening to my drive after I put the disc in and it seems
    choppy, like there are short bursts of it trying to read it. It could be that
    there is just something wrong with drive. I tried a regular CD-R last night
    and that too couldn't be recognized. Then I put a movie DVD in and it played
    it! I'm confused as to what the deal is. I will try Roxio though because it
    can't hurt.

    Find a program to burn it. XP doesn't burn DVDs.

    "SkaFinger" <SkaFinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7946A0D9-22BF-427C-83D5-CEAA369AFF44@microsoft.com...
    >I have a sony vaio k37 and it says that it can burn dvd's. I've watched dvd's
    > on numerous occassions but just recently started trying to burn them. The
    > problem is when I put a blank DVD+R disc in, it doesn't seem to know what to
    > do. I can't access the disc in that drive. I've updated all the drivers but I
    > still can't seem to recognize blank DVD's. What should I do?

DVD Burner Windows XP