Black screen hangs after restart - WIndows XP professionna..

HI,

I have a problem with my girlfriend's notebook. I cannot restart it. It
does not start with safe mode. It shoes a black screen with some
information about windows version written on the top (like in the
normal safe mode) but then nothing.
I can access the recovery mode using a CD but I don't know what to do.
I would really like not to formate the hard-disk.
Does someone has any suggestions ? or questions ?

Phil
1 answer Last reply
More about black screen hangs restart windows professionna

    I'd do F-8 Function-key selective bootup and try hard to use Last Known Good.

    When the pc is booting up (after the BIOS has done its POST test and
    before Windows starts loading),
    Tap F8 Function key to get bootup options. Tap & keep repeat tapping F8 !

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    > HI,
    >
    > I have a problem with my girlfriend's notebook. I cannot restart it.
    > It does not start with safe mode. It shoes a black screen with some
    > information about windows version written on the top (like in the
    > normal safe mode) but then nothing.
    > I can access the recovery mode using a CD but I don't know what to do.
    > I would really like not to formate the hard-disk.
    > Does someone has any suggestions ? or questions ?
    >
    > Phil

Safe Mode Windows XP