Quadro Pro2 - Anyone got one of these?

G

Greetings:

My machine will arrive in @ a week. It's got this lovely Quadro Pro2 in it...

...I do like to game and am uncertain on how this peforms in that realm (or how the drivers are for gaming).

Any input?

Thanks,

Dirtson.

G

Greetings:

CAD, no.

I got this computer from Dell (refurbished):

1.4 P4, 512 RAM, 9G SCSI-3, Quadro Pro2, 21" Trinitron

for $2000 shipped to my house.

I would never buy this card seperately: $700 - $800.

I took a quick look at the card and it showed it as a 64 Mb GeForce3 designed for Workstations (ie, CAD, etc).

I figured that it would play games decently enough...

...just not sure how well, or what drivers are "better" for games.

Dirtson.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
umm..im sorry to break this to you but they kinda f***ed u..

that card is way unneded for some 1 who does not edit video or render-real time, besides its made from the chip the GF2ULTRA is made of not the G3(the QUADRO DCC is made from the G3 chip).

sorry man.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

G

Greetings:

Awe, it's OK. They didn't sell me on the machine. I just saw it on their website.

Granted, I did believe that it was using the G3 Core...

...however, if I was to get a similar machine (non-Workstation):

p4 1.7, 512 MB, non-SCSI drive, 32 MB GeForce 2 it would run me an additional $500.

So, it's cool.

Dirtson.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It's not GF3 core- I have a Quadro DCC. And I find it total BS that the lower end machine you mentioned would cost more. You have any idea of teh price of a Q2 Pro compared to a GTS?? May be b/c teh processor, but otherwise, a Q2 Pro will run games very well, but just so you know I dfon't belive it's a Gf2 Ultra, but rather a GF2 Pro.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

G

Greetings:

Hard to believe huh. You can really get a pretty good deal with their Refurbished machines.

I priced out a Dell:

1.7 P4, 20G IDE, 512MB, 32Mb GeForce2 GTS, CD-Rom & 21" Trinitron (plus it came with a soundcard & basic speakers).

$2147.00 plus s/h.

My computer:

1.4 P4, 9G SCSI-3, 512MB, Quadro Pro2, CD-Rom and 21" Trinitron.

$1723.00 plus s/h.

So, a little over $400 more.

Hopefully the Quadro Pro2 will play games decent enough. =)

Dirtson.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
1700 dollars? Hrmm....

Is the monitor refurbished too? A good 21" Trinitron will run you between 750 to 1000 dollars brand new last I checked, and those Quadro cards run about 700 right? Is that RD RAM? Sounds like it was a decent deal considering the cost of the most expensive components - the monitor and the Quadro.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Sorry to bust your bubble, but graphics and stuff like that are very FPU intensive- an area which P4 doesn't perform well in. My 1.2 Ghz T-Bird can beat a dualie 1.7Ghz system in rendering under 3D Studio Max by quite a bit.

G

Greetings:

Yes, the monitor was refurbished as well (but both monitor & computer have a full warranty - just like new).

Also, the RAM is PC800 ECC RDRAM.

I didn't buy this machine for Rendering or CAD. It was simply such a good deal/price that I opted for this instead of a more traditional gaming machine (that would've costed me more - much more if I went with a really nice video card instead of the 32MB GeForce2 GTS that I listed above in the price comparison).

PS: I like the Athlons...the last machine I built was an Athlon (for my father). I opted for the P4's because I'm hoping that when games start getting kicked out that take advantage of the P4 code that I'll be able to upgrade to a 2.0 P4 and keep on rolling.

Dirtson.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The difference between Quadro and GeForce is that the resources are redestributed so that it's optimized for OpenGL at the expense of D3D performance. This applies to all Quadros. Hence why it isn't the best gaming card (unless you run OpenGL games- I get nearly 400FPS in QWuake 3 w/ my Quadro DCC!)