XP services set to 'automatic' not starting??

August 18, 2005 10:57:01 AM

I have a strange problem.

Services such as DHCP,DNS, RPC locater,DCOM, themes are not starting up with
windows as they should, and I have to manually start them each time I boot.

They are all set to 'AUTOMATIC'

Any ideas??
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:03:27 PM

Hi

RPC Locater should be set to Manual. Have you checked that all other
Services that those Services depend on are running after rebooting?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a strange problem.
>
> Services such as DHCP,DNS, RPC locater,DCOM, themes are not starting up
> with
> windows as they should, and I have to manually start them each time I
> boot.
>
> They are all set to 'AUTOMATIC'
>
> Any ideas??
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:03:28 PM

I actually think it is set to manual, sorry for the confusion!!

I havent checked all dependencies, but will later. (im in work)

As far as I'm aware, most should run anyway, i.e no dependncies

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> RPC Locater should be set to Manual. Have you checked that all other
> Services that those Services depend on are running after rebooting?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a strange problem.
> >
> > Services such as DHCP,DNS, RPC locater,DCOM, themes are not starting up
> > with
> > windows as they should, and I have to manually start them each time I
> > boot.
> >
> > They are all set to 'AUTOMATIC'
> >
> > Any ideas??

August 18, 2005 7:33:20 PM

Hi

The DHCP Service is dependent on the following Services running:

AFD Networking Support Environment
NetBT
TCP/IP Protocol Driver

The DNS Client Service is dependent on the following Service running:

TCP/IP Protocol Driver

The RPC Locater Service is dependent on the following Service running:

Workstation

The DCOM Service is not dependent on any Service running.

--

>I actually think it is set to manual, sorry for the confusion!!
>
> I havent checked all dependencies, but will later. (im in work)
>
> As far as I'm aware, most should run anyway, i.e no dependncies
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> RPC Locater should be set to Manual. Have you checked that all other
>> Services that those Services depend on are running after rebooting?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a strange problem.
>> >
>> > Services such as DHCP,DNS, RPC locater,DCOM, themes are not starting up
>> > with
>> > windows as they should, and I have to manually start them each time I
>> > boot.
>> >
>> > They are all set to 'AUTOMATIC'
>> >
>> > Any ideas??

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:33:21 PM

I've had to manually start those services also, even though they're set to
either 'auto' or 'manual'

Sorry I didnt include them originally, I couldnt remember all the services
that weren't starting.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The DHCP Service is dependent on the following Services running:
>
> AFD Networking Support Environment
> NetBT
> TCP/IP Protocol Driver
>
> The DNS Client Service is dependent on the following Service running:
>
> TCP/IP Protocol Driver
>
> The RPC Locater Service is dependent on the following Service running:
>
> Workstation
>
> The DCOM Service is not dependent on any Service running.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I actually think it is set to manual, sorry for the confusion!!
> >
> > I havent checked all dependencies, but will later. (im in work)
> >
> > As far as I'm aware, most should run anyway, i.e no dependncies
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> RPC Locater should be set to Manual. Have you checked that all other
> >> Services that those Services depend on are running after rebooting?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:56:29 PM

Hi

Is this on a Desktop or Laptop? If on a Laptop, are you using Hibernation?

--

> I've had to manually start those services also, even though they're set to
> either 'auto' or 'manual'
>
> Sorry I didnt include them originally, I couldnt remember all the services
> that weren't starting.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The DHCP Service is dependent on the following Services running:
>>
>> AFD Networking Support Environment
>> NetBT
>> TCP/IP Protocol Driver
>>
>> The DNS Client Service is dependent on the following Service running:
>>
>> TCP/IP Protocol Driver
>>
>> The RPC Locater Service is dependent on the following Service running:
>>
>> Workstation
>>
>> The DCOM Service is not dependent on any Service running.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I actually think it is set to manual, sorry for the confusion!!
>> >
>> > I havent checked all dependencies, but will later. (im in work)
>> >
>> > As far as I'm aware, most should run anyway, i.e no dependncies

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:56:30 PM

desktop.

specs:

A64 winchester 3000+ @2.4ghz
6600gt
512mb OCZ plat rev. 2 @DDR534
120 Maxtor DiamondMax 9 7200rpm
AOpen DVD-RW/CD-RW
Win XP pro SP2

All latest drivers, all WHQL

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is this on a Desktop or Laptop? If on a Laptop, are you using Hibernation?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've had to manually start those services also, even though they're set to
> > either 'auto' or 'manual'
> >
> > Sorry I didnt include them originally, I couldnt remember all the services
> > that weren't starting.
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> The DHCP Service is dependent on the following Services running:
> >>
> >> AFD Networking Support Environment
> >> NetBT
> >> TCP/IP Protocol Driver
> >>
> >> The DNS Client Service is dependent on the following Service running:
> >>
> >> TCP/IP Protocol Driver
> >>
> >> The RPC Locater Service is dependent on the following Service running:
> >>
> >> Workstation
> >>
> >> The DCOM Service is not dependent on any Service running.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "dublingunner" <dublingunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:56:31 PM

The DHCP Service is dependent on the following Services running:

AFD Networking Support Environment**Dont have it
NetBT**TCP/IP NetBIOS is the only thing listed regarding this
TCP/IP Protocol Driver**not sure which service this is

The DNS Client Service is dependent on the following Service running:

TCP/IP Protocol Driver

The RPC Locater Service is dependent on the following Service running:

Workstation**Automatic, but doesnt start

The DCOM Service is not dependent on any Service running.**Auto but doesnt
start

Thanks for your help on this m8, hope we can get to the bottom of it!!

!