I have recently started using wireless internet with my lap top. I'm really
concerned about what type of protection I need for my computer. Not just the
brand, but what type of security. ( ie, firewall, spamkiller, virus
detection, etc.). Should I have all of these and/or do I need something that
I am not aware of? I want to begin using my pc for paying bills and managing
other banking issues, but want to make sure I am fulling protected first.
Could someone please help?

Wireless networks always come "un-secured"! This meeans that when you first
set it up, the wireless card (PC) and route would allow anyone to be able to
connect to either the PC or router. There are guides on the Intenet on how
toi secure such networks.

Also, besides the Microsoft AntiSpyware sosfware that was stated before, you
need to use other anti-spyware utilities. Not every software will detect
and remove every spywares. Use severval utilties, you should be in a much
better position in blocking most spywares.

Additional spyware software that I know that is not laddened with spywares:

Spybot: Search and Destroy
AD Aware SE
CWShredder
HiJackthis.

"Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently started using wireless internet with my lap top. I'm
>really
> concerned about what type of protection I need for my computer. Not just
> the
> brand, but what type of security. ( ie, firewall, spamkiller, virus
> detection, etc.). Should I have all of these and/or do I need something
> that
> I am not aware of? I want to begin using my pc for paying bills and
> managing
> other banking issues, but want to make sure I am fulling protected first.
> Could someone please help?

You certainly need AntiSpyware (which you didn't mention), AntiVirus and a
Firewall.

Your next question is going to be which one? I use Norton Internet Security
(which gives you AntiVirus protection, a Firewall, AntiSpam and others) and
MS AntiSpyware). Now, before we get into the debate as to which is the best
one suffice to say that some swear by those products and some swear at them.
The choice is yours. Whatever product you get it is imperative that they
are updated (over the internet) on a very regular (some will say daily)
basis in order top ensure you get the best protection.

With a wireless connection you need to know that it is possible for anyone
with similar equipment to eavesdrop onto your network and use your network
as if it were there own - with all the right and privileges. Scary stuff -
especially as you intend to use your computer for banking etc! I would
advise against using a wireless network unless you really have to as even
when you've take all precautions necessary it will not be 100% secure. Far
better to use wires and eliminate that source of intrusion.

Have a look at my web site www.1001solutions.co.uk for more information on
Threat Prevention.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently started using wireless internet with my lap top. I'm
>really
> concerned about what type of protection I need for my computer. Not just
> the
> brand, but what type of security. ( ie, firewall, spamkiller, virus
> detection, etc.). Should I have all of these and/or do I need something
> that
> I am not aware of? I want to begin using my pc for paying bills and
> managing
> other banking issues, but want to make sure I am fulling protected first.
> Could someone please help?

Thank you, Bill. Very helpful!