can't access networked computers - with authorisation

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have 3 computers named TWO, THREE and FOUR (great naming structure hey) -
ONE is retired in case your wondering

TWO and THREE and desktop computers connected (wired) to a linksys WAG54G
ADSL modem/(wireless) router.
FOUR is a laptop connected via wireless-g to the router. The desktop
computers do not have wireless adapters installed in them

each computer is running xp-sp2 with all recent updates.

each computer is able to ping the router & every other computer using IP
address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)

the problem is that THREE can access TWO & no other computer access works at
al (THREE->FOUR, TWO->THREE, TWO->FOUR, FOUR->TWO, FOUR->THREE)

when TWO or THREE try to access FOUR, the error \\four is not accessible.
You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Access is denied" is received

when TWO tries to access THREE, the error "\\four is not accessible. You
might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer" is received

when FOUR tries to access TWO or THREE the error "\\two is not accessible.
You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The account is not authorized to log in from this station" is received

also each computer has "Everyone" included in "Access this computer from the
network" in the User Rights Assignment in Local Security Settings/Policy

I am in desperate need of advice - please help
TIA
ashecorven

PS I hope this was descriptive enough :)

"ashecorven" <gharoway@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> I have 3 computers named TWO, THREE and FOUR (great naming structure
hey) -
> ONE is retired in case your wondering
>
> TWO and THREE and desktop computers connected (wired) to a linksys WAG54G
> ADSL modem/(wireless) router.
> FOUR is a laptop connected via wireless-g to the router. The desktop
> computers do not have wireless adapters installed in them
>
> each computer is running xp-sp2 with all recent updates.
>
> each computer is able to ping the router & every other computer using IP
> address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)
>
> the problem is that THREE can access TWO & no other computer access works
at
> al (THREE->FOUR, TWO->THREE, TWO->FOUR, FOUR->TWO, FOUR->THREE)
>
> when TWO or THREE try to access FOUR, the error \\four is not accessible.
> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
> Access is denied" is received
>
> when TWO tries to access THREE, the error "\\four is not accessible. You
> might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
> this computer" is received
>
> when FOUR tries to access TWO or THREE the error "\\two is not accessible.
> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
> The account is not authorized to log in from this station" is received
>
> also each computer has "Everyone" included in "Access this computer from
the
> network" in the User Rights Assignment in Local Security Settings/Policy
>
> I am in desperate need of advice - please help
> TIA
> ashecorven
>
> PS I hope this was descriptive enough :)

Simple filesharing with Guest accounts disabled? Yay or nay, this should
help:
http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=12487
HTH
--
Rob

Rob Hemmings wrote:
> "ashecorven" <gharoway@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>
>>I have 3 computers named TWO, THREE and FOUR (great naming structure
>
> hey) -
>
>>ONE is retired in case your wondering
>>
>>TWO and THREE and desktop computers connected (wired) to a linksys WAG54G
>>ADSL modem/(wireless) router.
>>FOUR is a laptop connected via wireless-g to the router. The desktop
>>computers do not have wireless adapters installed in them
>>
>>each computer is running xp-sp2 with all recent updates.
>>
>>each computer is able to ping the router & every other computer using IP
>>address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)
>>
>>the problem is that THREE can access TWO & no other computer access works
>
> at
>
>>al (THREE->FOUR, TWO->THREE, TWO->FOUR, FOUR->TWO, FOUR->THREE)
>>
>>when TWO or THREE try to access FOUR, the error \\four is not accessible.
>>You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>>Access is denied" is received
>>
>>when TWO tries to access THREE, the error "\\four is not accessible. You
>>might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>>Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
>>this computer" is received
>>
>>when FOUR tries to access TWO or THREE the error "\\two is not accessible.
>>You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>>The account is not authorized to log in from this station" is received
>>
>>also each computer has "Everyone" included in "Access this computer from
>
> the
>
>>network" in the User Rights Assignment in Local Security Settings/Policy
>>
>>I am in desperate need of advice - please help
>>TIA
>>ashecorven
>>
>>PS I hope this was descriptive enough :)
>

> Simple filesharing with Guest accounts disabled? Yay or nay, this should
> help:
> http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=12487
> HTH

verify that you have shared some directories or all the hard disks in
those computers you can not access.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

yeah all computers have the sharedocs folder and c$, d$, etc.

"Gabriel Moises" <gamoises@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Rob Hemmings wrote:
>> "ashecorven" <gharoway@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have 3 computers named TWO, THREE and FOUR (great naming structure
>>
>> hey) -
>>
>>>ONE is retired in case your wondering
>>>
>>>TWO and THREE and desktop computers connected (wired) to a linksys WAG54G
>>>ADSL modem/(wireless) router.
>>>FOUR is a laptop connected via wireless-g to the router. The desktop
>>>computers do not have wireless adapters installed in them
>>>
>>>each computer is running xp-sp2 with all recent updates.
>>>
>>>each computer is able to ping the router & every other computer using IP
>>>address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)
>>>
>>>the problem is that THREE can access TWO & no other computer access works
>>
>> at
>>
>>>al (THREE->FOUR, TWO->THREE, TWO->FOUR, FOUR->TWO, FOUR->THREE)
>>>
>>>when TWO or THREE try to access FOUR, the error \\four is not accessible.
>>>You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>>>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>>>Access is denied" is received
>>>
>>>when TWO tries to access THREE, the error "\\four is not accessible. You
>>>might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>>>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>>>Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
>>>this computer" is received
>>>
>>>when FOUR tries to access TWO or THREE the error "\\two is not
>>>accessible.
>>>You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>>>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>>>The account is not authorized to log in from this station" is received
>>>
>>>also each computer has "Everyone" included in "Access this computer from
>>
>> the
>>
>>>network" in the User Rights Assignment in Local Security Settings/Policy
>>>
>>>I am in desperate need of advice - please help
>>>TIA
>>>ashecorven
>>>
>>>PS I hope this was descriptive enough :)
>>

>> Simple filesharing with Guest accounts disabled? Yay or nay, this should
>> help:
>> http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=12487
>> HTH
>
> verify that you have shared some directories or all the hard disks in
> those computers you can not access.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thankyou for your responses Rob & Gabriel.

I'm using simple filesharing on all computers, and also have "automatically
search for network folders & printers" unchecked also

Guest account is enabled and password protected on all computers. (same
password for each computer)

only change i've made is:-
I added the Guest account in the "access this computer from the network"
policy and removed it from the "deny access to this computer from the
network" on all computers.

And of course there are still errors - but have changed.

now TWO can access FOUR (the laptop), but not THREE "..... Access is denied"
error

THREE cannot access anything now (used to be able to access TWO) ".....
Access is denied" error for both TWO & FOUR

FOUR cannot even access the workgroup "..... The account is not authorised
to log in from this station" error for accessing the workgroup, TWO & THREE.
TWO & THREE show that it is in the workgroup.

each computer is still able to ping the router & every other computer using
IP address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)

any ideas?

i find it extremely strange that TWO can access FOUR but not THREE

thanks

ashecorven

"Rob Hemmings" <rkh@NOSPAM.le.ac.uk> wrote in message

> "ashecorven" <gharoway@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>> I have 3 computers named TWO, THREE and FOUR (great naming structure
> hey) -
>> ONE is retired in case your wondering
>>
>> TWO and THREE and desktop computers connected (wired) to a linksys WAG54G
>> ADSL modem/(wireless) router.
>> FOUR is a laptop connected via wireless-g to the router. The desktop
>> computers do not have wireless adapters installed in them
>>
>> each computer is running xp-sp2 with all recent updates.
>>
>> each computer is able to ping the router & every other computer using IP
>> address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)
>>
>> the problem is that THREE can access TWO & no other computer access works
> at
>> al (THREE->FOUR, TWO->THREE, TWO->FOUR, FOUR->TWO, FOUR->THREE)
>>
>> when TWO or THREE try to access FOUR, the error \\four is not accessible.
>> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>> Access is denied" is received
>>
>> when TWO tries to access THREE, the error "\\four is not accessible. You
>> might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
>> this computer" is received
>>
>> when FOUR tries to access TWO or THREE the error "\\two is not
>> accessible.
>> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
>> The account is not authorized to log in from this station" is received
>>
>> also each computer has "Everyone" included in "Access this computer from
> the
>> network" in the User Rights Assignment in Local Security Settings/Policy
>>
>> I am in desperate need of advice - please help
>> TIA
>> ashecorven
>>
>> PS I hope this was descriptive enough :)
>
> Simple filesharing with Guest accounts disabled? Yay or nay, this should
> help:
> http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=12487
> HTH
> --
> Rob

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try this link.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web/browse_thread/thread/1eff00f34b655248/c88d3629fb531744?lnk=st&q=unable+to+connect+to+pc+you+might+no+have+permission%3F&rnum=4&hl=en#c88d3629fb531744
I fought this problem on my 3 PC's for 3 weeks! This newsgroup is a lot of
help.

Brian

> [...]
>>> The account is not authorized to log in from this station" is received
>>>
>>> also each computer has "Everyone" included in "Access this computer from
>> the
>>> network" in the User Rights Assignment in Local Security Settings/Policy
>>>
>>> I am in desperate need of advice - please help
>>> TIA
>>> ashecorven
>>>
>>> PS I hope this was descriptive enough :)
>>
>> Simple filesharing with Guest accounts disabled? Yay or nay, this should
>> help:
>> http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=12487
>> HTH
>> --
>> Rob

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hey thanks. I haven't checked out the link yet but thanks for replying.
Good to hear i'm not the only one that's had this problem.
Thanks again Brian.

ashecorven

"Brian" <sportsdadmi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Try this link.
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web/browse_thread/thread/1eff00f34b655248/c88d3629fb531744?lnk=st&q=unable+to+connect+to+pc+you+might+no+have+permission%3F&rnum=4&hl=en#c88d3629fb531744
> I fought this problem on my 3 PC's for 3 weeks! This newsgroup is a lot
> of help.
>
> Brian
>
> "ashecorven" <gharoway@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thankyou for your responses Rob & Gabriel.
>>
>> I'm using simple filesharing on all computers, and also have
>> "automatically search for network folders & printers" unchecked also
>>
>> Guest account is enabled and password protected on all computers. (same
>> password for each computer)
>>
>> only change i've made is:-
>> I added the Guest account in the "access this computer from the network"
>> policy and removed it from the "deny access to this computer from the
>> network" on all computers.
>>
>> And of course there are still errors - but have changed.
>>
>> now TWO can access FOUR (the laptop), but not THREE "..... Access is
>> denied" error
>>
>> THREE cannot access anything now (used to be able to access TWO) ".....
>> Access is denied" error for both TWO & FOUR
>>
>> FOUR cannot even access the workgroup "..... The account is not
>> authorised to log in from this station" error for accessing the
>> workgroup, TWO & THREE.
>> TWO & THREE show that it is in the workgroup.
>>
>> each computer is still able to ping the router & every other computer
>> using IP address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> i find it extremely strange that TWO can access FOUR but not THREE
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> ashecorven
>>
>> "Rob Hemmings" <rkh@NOSPAM.le.ac.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "ashecorven" <gharoway@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>>> hey) -

>>> at

>>> the

>>> Simple filesharing with Guest accounts disabled? Yay or nay, this
>>> should
>>> help:
>>> http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=12487
>>> HTH
>>> --
>>> Rob

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Your welcome let me know what happens!

> Hey thanks. I haven't checked out the link yet but thanks for replying.
> Good to hear i'm not the only one that's had this problem.
> Thanks again Brian.
>
> ashecorven
>
> "Brian" <sportsdadmi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Try this link.
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web/browse_thread/thread/1eff00f34b655248/c88d3629fb531744?lnk=st&q=unable+to+connect+to+pc+you+might+no+have+permission%3F&rnum=4&hl=en#c88d3629fb531744
>> I fought this problem on my 3 PC's for 3 weeks! This newsgroup is a lot
>> of help.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> "ashecorven" <gharoway@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>>> Thankyou for your responses Rob & Gabriel.
>>>
>>> I'm using simple filesharing on all computers, and also have
>>> "automatically search for network folders & printers" unchecked also
>>>
>>> Guest account is enabled and password protected on all computers. (same
>>> password for each computer)
>>>
>>> only change i've made is:-
>>> I added the Guest account in the "access this computer from the network"
>>> policy and removed it from the "deny access to this computer from the
>>> network" on all computers.
>>>
>>> And of course there are still errors - but have changed.
>>>
>>> now TWO can access FOUR (the laptop), but not THREE "..... Access is
>>> denied" error
>>>
>>> THREE cannot access anything now (used to be able to access TWO) ".....
>>> Access is denied" error for both TWO & FOUR
>>>
>>> FOUR cannot even access the workgroup "..... The account is not
>>> authorised to log in from this station" error for accessing the
>>> workgroup, TWO & THREE.
>>> TWO & THREE show that it is in the workgroup.
>>>
>>> each computer is still able to ping the router & every other computer
>>> using IP address and names (TWO, THREE, FOUR)
>>>
>>> any ideas?
>>>
>>> i find it extremely strange that TWO can access FOUR but not THREE
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> ashecorven
>>>
>>> "Rob Hemmings" <rkh@NOSPAM.le.ac.uk> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS