Upgrading to a GF 2 MX400

cera26

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2001
I have a Celeron 366 MHz plugged into some no name board. I also have a Savage 4 but want to upgrade it (I know it's a lot better then everything else in my system, but I am planning to upgrade the rest, piece by piece). I was thinking of an MSI 8833, but the problem is that by mobo only supports AGP 2X. Will this dramatically influence the performance of th new card?

<i>cera</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, your main bottleneck isn't the AGP bus, it's the CPU itself.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Savage4 is no longer considered a reasonable performance solution. AGP2x vx 4x is almost a non-factor. The biggest thing you can do to make your system faster is overclock your 366 to 550 by forcing a 100MHz FSB. If you run into difficulties the answers to those are in previous post.
Oh, and if you have a LX motherboard, well, then consider a BX board instead.

Back to you Tom...

cera26

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2001
When I do want to upgrade my board, it will come with a Duron or Athlon. I tried to overclock, but the jumpers on my board won't allow me any setting between 66 and 100 MHz, and my AGP bus can't handle that, I tried it but the screen is just blank. There are a few options in the BIOS, but they don't really work so well. I managed to overclock it to 458MHz, but that worked only once, the next time it was 366 again, even though I didn't change any settings. My question is: Will upgrading my graphics card to a GF2 MX400 significantly affect 3D gaming performance, if I can't upgrade my processor or overclock this one???

<i>cera</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, It probably won't affec your gaming performance too much. You need a new motherboard and CPU to do that.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor