Keyboard Kills Germs, Viruses and the Nasties

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackbird

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
You'll still have to clean it tho: it doesn't remove fat and other hamburger or pizza leftovers.

Nice idea, but they should have made it a general cleaning unit. Not just desinfecting.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]theblackbird[/nom]You'll still have to clean it tho: it doesn't remove fat and other hamburger or pizza leftovers.Nice idea, but they should have made it a general cleaning unit. Not just desinfecting.[/citation]
I agree! This unit simply sounds like a couple hundred dollar replacement for a can of Lysol. One spray of Lysol kills 98% of germs on contact, and 99.9% of germs within 30 seconds. One light spray on the surface of the keys won't cause any harm to the keyboard, and I think you can get a rather large can of the stuff at any grocery store for like $5.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
This is really meant for use in medical fields (labs, treatment rooms, and the like) where staff (doctors, nurses, technicians, etc) come in contact with all kinds of "bugs".

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]This is really meant for use in medical fields (labs, treatment rooms, and the like) where staff (doctors, nurses, technicians, etc) come in contact with all kinds of "bugs".[/citation]

Probably useful for someone who is immunodepressed too (ex. HIV)

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Oh brother! What a waste of money. Personally, every few days or so, I just grab the 99 cent botton of isopropyl alcohol (the 91% stuff) off my shelf and a paper towel. Dab a little alcohol on the paper towel and wipe the keyboard down. Every few weeks, I'll add in the process a few Q-tips dipped in alcohol to get between the keys. Every few months, I'll pop all of the keys off and thoroughly clean the whole keyboard.

Isopropyl alcohol is cheap, dries instantly, leaves no odor, is safe to use on electronics, and it kills 99.9% of germs and physically cleans the surface.

the hedgehog

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
While for everyday use in a home is kinda pointless I'm pretty sure there are jobs and people who could uses this type of thing.

I'm reminded of that episode of Mythbusters when they tested the toilet seat for germs and it come out pretty clean.

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Overly complex and expensive solution. As many other have already said; alcohol, wipes, sprays- done.

The fat beast that had my wokspace before me must have used her keyboard as a dinner plate. Food and crap all over it and down under the keys. Nasty.

G

It also affects the integrity of the plastic.
White plastic will turn yellowish, and cheaper black plastic will turn dark purple or blue.
Letters may disappear on the board...

UV light does not only desintegrate living organisms, it also affects plastics, and dead materials.

G

Just rub a hand sanitizer on your hands, then rub your hands across the keys while your hands are still a little wet. Easy to sanitize the mouse this way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.