Two different RAM speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent01

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5093 that hasn't been booting up in recent times, and whenever it did, I would have countless graphical errors and freezing screens.

So yesterday I went down to the store and bought a 4gb RAM stick that is PC3-12800S, and the RAMs that I've been using were 1gb and 2gb, except they were BOTH PC3-8500S.

Unknowing how it would work, I popped in the 1gb and the 4gb, and then I looked up on the internet that the 4gb would slow down to the 1gb speed.

Now I was wondering if I could adjust the motherboard/laptop to the 4gb speed so I don't have to keep on searching for that right RAM stick.

Thanks in advance.

Silent01

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I'm ordering another one of the same speed that is also 4gb from Best Buy, because Fry's claimed they had it in stock but when I got to the store they had no more.

And by answering, do you mean that that is the correct error with the laptop?

I'll also post the aftermath of when the Best Buy RAM comes in.

Silent01

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hi,

The 4gb RAM from Best Buy came in today and I popped it into my laptop without the 1gb or the 2gb and it's the same speed as the old ones and it hasn't worked.

Any ideas on why?

Silent01

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
It worked about two weeks ago with only the 1gb stick in, AFTER I went and cleaned out the fan and opened the entire laptop, but with the bad RAM symptoms, such as graphical errors like changing colors, flashing screens, etc. The laptop itself was very unresponsive and slow, which was another symptom, that I mistook for a registry error.

Right now I'm doing that same process of cleaning the fan as I'm probably pulling out a cord and putting it back in which is what made it turn on.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Did you try the 4gb module in both slots? If it still doesn't work return it for a different brand or replace it. Try to get a dual channel kit, it would be the best performance increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.