XP pro won't book off CD Rom, won't read BIOS

August 18, 2005 11:50:08 AM

When I tried installing XP Pro as an upgrade from Windows 2000, it almost
finished the install (34 minutes left) when the computer turned itself off.
This happened several times. I removed the hard drive and reformatted it -
cleaned it off, then reinstalled it. Now when the PC boots up it recognizes
the CD Rom drivs but it will not boot or install from the CD ROM drive. I
created the 6 diskettes to tell the PC to install from the CD Rom drive, and
it gives me an I/O error. The BIOS says to boot off the CD ROM drive but it
won't. What might cause this? A bad hard drive? A bad motherboard? Thanks for
your help!

More about : pro book rom read bios

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:03:28 PM

Check your CD disc on another PC. If this works, then it could that the
CD-ROM drive is not working correctly.

"sasha" <sasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I tried installing XP Pro as an upgrade from Windows 2000, it almost
> finished the install (34 minutes left) when the computer turned itself
> off.
> This happened several times. I removed the hard drive and reformatted it -
> cleaned it off, then reinstalled it. Now when the PC boots up it
> recognizes
> the CD Rom drivs but it will not boot or install from the CD ROM drive. I
> created the 6 diskettes to tell the PC to install from the CD Rom drive,
> and
> it gives me an I/O error. The BIOS says to boot off the CD ROM drive but
> it
> won't. What might cause this? A bad hard drive? A bad motherboard? Thanks
> for
> your help!
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:01:48 PM

Hi

Perhaps this article may help you:

"Windows XP SP1 Installation Stops Responding with About 34 Minutes
Remaining"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815319

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"sasha" <sasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I tried installing XP Pro as an upgrade from Windows 2000, it almost
> finished the install (34 minutes left) when the computer turned itself
> off.
> This happened several times. I removed the hard drive and reformatted it -
> cleaned it off, then reinstalled it. Now when the PC boots up it
> recognizes
> the CD Rom drivs but it will not boot or install from the CD ROM drive. I
> created the 6 diskettes to tell the PC to install from the CD Rom drive,
> and
> it gives me an I/O error. The BIOS says to boot off the CD ROM drive but
> it
> won't. What might cause this? A bad hard drive? A bad motherboard? Thanks
> for
> your help!
Related resources
August 18, 2005 8:01:49 PM

That article may have helped me before I removed and reformatted my hard
drive. Now my PC won't install windows XP at all because it won't read the CD
ROM drive. Please read my original post. Any ideas?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Perhaps this article may help you:
>
> "Windows XP SP1 Installation Stops Responding with About 34 Minutes
> Remaining"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815319
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "sasha" <sasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I tried installing XP Pro as an upgrade from Windows 2000, it almost
> > finished the install (34 minutes left) when the computer turned itself
> > off.
> > This happened several times. I removed the hard drive and reformatted it -
> > cleaned it off, then reinstalled it. Now when the PC boots up it
> > recognizes
> > the CD Rom drivs but it will not boot or install from the CD ROM drive. I
> > created the 6 diskettes to tell the PC to install from the CD Rom drive,
> > and
> > it gives me an I/O error. The BIOS says to boot off the CD ROM drive but
> > it
> > won't. What might cause this? A bad hard drive? A bad motherboard? Thanks
> > for
> > your help!

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:06:34 PM

Are you saying it will not boot from the cd even though your system is set
to boot from the cd in the bios? If yes then check out
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%...

> That article may have helped me before I removed and reformatted my hard
> drive. Now my PC won't install windows XP at all because it won't read the
> CD
> ROM drive. Please read my original post. Any ideas?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Perhaps this article may help you:
>>
>> "Windows XP SP1 Installation Stops Responding with About 34 Minutes
>> Remaining"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815319
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "sasha" <sasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I tried installing XP Pro as an upgrade from Windows 2000, it
>> > almost
>> > finished the install (34 minutes left) when the computer turned itself
>> > off.
>> > This happened several times. I removed the hard drive and reformatted
>> > it -
>> > cleaned it off, then reinstalled it. Now when the PC boots up it
>> > recognizes
>> > the CD Rom drivs but it will not boot or install from the CD ROM drive.
>> > created the 6 diskettes to tell the PC to install from the CD Rom
>> > drive,
>> > and
>> > it gives me an I/O error. The BIOS says to boot off the CD ROM drive
>> > but
>> > it
>> > won't. What might cause this? A bad hard drive? A bad motherboard?
>> > Thanks
>> > for
>> > your help!

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:36:18 PM

Hi

I wasn't sure what you meant by "I removed the hard drive and reformatted
it - cleaned it off, then reinstalled it". Especially "cleaned it off, then
reinstalled it". Perhaps you could provide some more details as to what you
did exactly? Perhaps that could be the problem.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"sasha" <sasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That article may have helped me before I removed and reformatted my hard
> drive. Now my PC won't install windows XP at all because it won't read the
> CD
> ROM drive. Please read my original post. Any ideas?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Perhaps this article may help you:
>>
>> "Windows XP SP1 Installation Stops Responding with About 34 Minutes
>> Remaining"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815319
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "sasha" <sasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I tried installing XP Pro as an upgrade from Windows 2000, it
>> > almost
>> > finished the install (34 minutes left) when the computer turned itself
>> > off.
>> > This happened several times. I removed the hard drive and reformatted
>> > it -
>> > cleaned it off, then reinstalled it. Now when the PC boots up it
>> > recognizes
>> > the CD Rom drivs but it will not boot or install from the CD ROM drive.
>> > created the 6 diskettes to tell the PC to install from the CD Rom
>> > drive,
>> > and
>> > it gives me an I/O error. The BIOS says to boot off the CD ROM drive
>> > but
>> > it
>> > won't. What might cause this? A bad hard drive? A bad motherboard?
>> > Thanks
>> > for
>> > your help!

August 18, 2005 8:36:19 PM

When upgrading from windows 2000 to XP Professional, the upgrade seemed to be
going fine, but kept shutting the pc off before it's done installing. We
thought maybe the installation was running out of space on the hard drive or
the hard drive was corrupted (since we'd been having issues with a trojan
that kept coming back). So we removed the hard drive, took it to another PC
and reformatted it so it's clean - no data on it. Then we physically put it
in the original PC and when we turn the PC on it recognizes the hard drive
and the CD ROM drives but won't boot off the CD ROM where the XP PRO cd is,
even though the bios says it should boot off the CD ROM.

!