Help! Graphics Card Kaput?

traveler

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
So I bought all these components to begin upgrading my computer. What started out as a hard drive upgrade snowballed into an almost completely new system. The night before the project, my original computer, in an eerie premonition of its demise, inexplicably crashes. The screen, while looking fine at initial bootup, starts to streak lines vertically down the screen as Windows 98 starts loading. Finally, I am faced with a blank screen. Attempts with Norton fail to restore normalcy and I am faced with the possibility that the graphics card is the culprit.

I had a Creative Nvidia Annihilator Pro Card on a Pentium II 400Mhz system and have been doing well with this card for nearly two years. To prepare for my upgrade, I downloaded new drivers for everything including the graphics card several days before. It worked without a problem for several days till the crash. Since I was going to upgrade anyway, I reinstalled a new CPU, MB, drive, and peripherals and the old graphics card. Along the way, I noticed that the fan on the graphics card was broken. I have since re-formatted my HD and reinstalled Windows 98 as before. Even during installation, streaky lines had appeared. After installing the driver for the graphics card, my newly refurbished computer is now a blank screen again.

I am pretty sure it is a physical problem due to the graphics card and plan to buy a new one. But the updated driver situation makes me wonder if the video bios weren't a culprit. I welcome any opinions on what might be the problem.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
now "caput" is that a technical term?=/

naa jk:)
so if i understand after u reformated the problam came back?
and in that "upgrade" did u get a new vid card?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

traveler

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
kaput reflects the faulty german engineering at work here. yes, the problem never went away and i used the old vid card in the process. a new vid card made the problem since disappear. i suspect it is a physical problem with the old card.