trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Whenever I press Play All (or Play Selection) in a multimedia folder the
Move Files window appears instead of Windows Media Player. When I cancel it,
WMP plays the files.

If I highlight one or more files and press Enter, WMP plays them as a
playlist straight away.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Reset the folder customization to 'all files', then reset it back to
video/music as appropriate.

2. Ensured that WMP is the default player for all appropriate file types.

3. Removed all third-party shell extensions from these file types.

The only difference this has made is that, whereas before if I selected,
say, 10 files I would have to click through 10 Move Files windows, now I
only have to click out of one before the playlist is loaded into WMP.

How can I make the Play All button work properly?

Running SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1Gb RAM.

Thanks

Trevor

Trevor,

Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm

"Play All" link in the Common Tasks does not work:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/playall.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message
> Whenever I press Play All (or Play Selection) in a multimedia folder the
> Move Files window appears instead of Windows Media Player. When I cancel
> it, WMP plays the files.
>
> If I highlight one or more files and press Enter, WMP plays them as a
> playlist straight away.
>
> Here's what I've done so far:
>
> 1. Reset the folder customization to 'all files', then reset it back to
> video/music as appropriate.
>
> 2. Ensured that WMP is the default player for all appropriate file types.
>
> 3. Removed all third-party shell extensions from these file types.
>
> The only difference this has made is that, whereas before if I selected,
> say, 10 files I would have to click through 10 Move Files windows, now I
> only have to click out of one before the playlist is loaded into WMP.
>
> How can I make the Play All button work properly?
>
> Running SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1Gb RAM.
>
> Thanks
>
> Trevor

Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
article.

However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command because,
unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to location
rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
actually send a file and not just a copy of it?

Thanks

Trevor

> Trevor,
>
> Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm
>
> "Play All" link in the Common Tasks does not work:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/playall.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message
>> Whenever I press Play All (or Play Selection) in a multimedia folder the
>> Move Files window appears instead of Windows Media Player. When I cancel
>> it, WMP plays the files.
>>
>> If I highlight one or more files and press Enter, WMP plays them as a
>> playlist straight away.
>>
>> Here's what I've done so far:
>>
>> 1. Reset the folder customization to 'all files', then reset it back to
>> video/music as appropriate.
>>
>> 2. Ensured that WMP is the default player for all appropriate file types.
>>
>> 3. Removed all third-party shell extensions from these file types.
>>
>> The only difference this has made is that, whereas before if I selected,
>> say, 10 files I would have to click through 10 Move Files windows, now I
>> only have to click out of one before the playlist is loaded into WMP.
>>
>> How can I make the Play All button work properly?
>>
>> Running SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1Gb RAM.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Trevor

You're welcome Trevor. For the 2nd part, no idea. But there may be a
third-party shell extension such as
http://www.shelltoysxp.com/relocate.asp?page=toys/copymovetofolder.htm (got
it via Google search).

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
> article.
>
> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
> because, unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the
> send-to location rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the
> send-to command to actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Trevor
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Trevor,
>>
>> Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm
>>
>> "Play All" link in the Common Tasks does not work:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/playall.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message
>>> Whenever I press Play All (or Play Selection) in a multimedia folder the
>>> Move Files window appears instead of Windows Media Player. When I cancel
>>> it, WMP plays the files.
>>>
>>> If I highlight one or more files and press Enter, WMP plays them as a
>>> playlist straight away.
>>>
>>> Here's what I've done so far:
>>>
>>> 1. Reset the folder customization to 'all files', then reset it back to
>>> video/music as appropriate.
>>>
>>> 2. Ensured that WMP is the default player for all appropriate file
>>> types.
>>>
>>> 3. Removed all third-party shell extensions from these file types.
>>>
>>> The only difference this has made is that, whereas before if I selected,
>>> say, 10 files I would have to click through 10 Move Files windows, now I
>>> only have to click out of one before the playlist is loaded into WMP.
>>>
>>> How can I make the Play All button work properly?
>>>
>>> Running SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1Gb RAM.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Trevor

Thanks, I'll check it out.

> You're welcome Trevor. For the 2nd part, no idea. But there may be a
> third-party shell extension such as
> http://www.shelltoysxp.com/relocate.asp?page=toys/copymovetofolder.htm
> (got it via Google search).
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
>> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
>> article.
>>
>> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
>> because, unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the
>> send-to location rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the
>> send-to command to actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Trevor
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Trevor,
>>>
>>> Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm
>>>
>>> "Play All" link in the Common Tasks does not work:
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/playall.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message

Sendto works identical in all versions of Windows.
Key Description
File System Objects
Control Copies a file (default between drives)
Shift Moves a file (default within a drive)
Control and Shift (or Alt if dragging) Creates a shortcut (default for registered exe files)
Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

"cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message news:1124379375.14321.0@spandrell.news.uk.clara.net...
> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
> article.
>
> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command because,
> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to location
> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Trevor
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Trevor,
>>
>> Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm
>>
>> "Play All" link in the Common Tasks does not work:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/playall.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message
>>> Whenever I press Play All (or Play Selection) in a multimedia folder the
>>> Move Files window appears instead of Windows Media Player. When I cancel
>>> it, WMP plays the files.
>>>
>>> If I highlight one or more files and press Enter, WMP plays them as a
>>> playlist straight away.
>>>
>>> Here's what I've done so far:
>>>
>>> 1. Reset the folder customization to 'all files', then reset it back to
>>> video/music as appropriate.
>>>
>>> 2. Ensured that WMP is the default player for all appropriate file types.
>>>
>>> 3. Removed all third-party shell extensions from these file types.
>>>
>>> The only difference this has made is that, whereas before if I selected,
>>> say, 10 files I would have to click through 10 Move Files windows, now I
>>> only have to click out of one before the playlist is loaded into WMP.
>>>
>>> How can I make the Play All button work properly?
>>>
>>> Running SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1Gb RAM.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Trevor

Hope you have MSDN Subscription. If so, saw IE7?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Sendto works identical in all versions of Windows.
Key Description
File System Objects
Control Copies a file (default between drives)
Shift Moves a file (default within a drive)
Control and Shift (or Alt if dragging) Creates a shortcut (default for
registered exe files)
Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

"cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
> article.
>
> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
> because,
> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to
> location
> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Trevor
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Trevor,
>>
>> Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm
>>
>> "Play All" link in the Common Tasks does not work:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/playall.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message
>>> Whenever I press Play All (or Play Selection) in a multimedia folder the
>>> Move Files window appears instead of Windows Media Player. When I cancel
>>> it, WMP plays the files.
>>>
>>> If I highlight one or more files and press Enter, WMP plays them as a
>>> playlist straight away.
>>>
>>> Here's what I've done so far:
>>>
>>> 1. Reset the folder customization to 'all files', then reset it back to
>>> video/music as appropriate.
>>>
>>> 2. Ensured that WMP is the default player for all appropriate file
>>> types.
>>>
>>> 3. Removed all third-party shell extensions from these file types.
>>>
>>> The only difference this has made is that, whereas before if I selected,
>>> say, 10 files I would have to click through 10 Move Files windows, now I
>>> only have to click out of one before the playlist is loaded into WMP.
>>>
>>> How can I make the Play All button work properly?
>>>
>>> Running SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1Gb RAM.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Trevor

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you, David

I should have worked that out for myself. The default in 98SE (well, the one
I had, anyway) was for "send to" to move the folder within a drive. I'm
still finding my way round xp, but on my version the send-to command copies
the file to the location by default but moves it if shift is depressed.

There doesn't appear to be a Send To Powertoy available for xp, although
some third-party freeware is available at
http://www.gabrieleponti.com/software/ until Microsoft catches up.
Alternatively, is there a registry modification to enable Send to Clipboard
as Contents/Name?

Trevor

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Sendto works identical in all versions of Windows.
Key Description
File System Objects
Control Copies a file (default between drives)
Shift Moves a file (default within a drive)
Control and Shift (or Alt if dragging) Creates a shortcut (default for
registered exe files)
Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

"cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
> article.
>
> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
> because,
> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to
> location
> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Trevor

If it is copying then you are transfering across drives. Same as 95/NT4/98/2000/ME/XP.

95's PTs works fine.

Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Run the fix below.
Type in Start Run

regsvr32 sendmail

This fixes the one problem that installing Win95 Power Toys Send To causes. It still worthwhile installing then fixing for the added functionally of Send To Powertoys. Win98 Send To Desktop As Shortcut and Powertoys Send to Mail can't co-exist, but Win 98 includes it's own Send To Mail.

"Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message news:%23fAe2TLpFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thank you, David
>
> I should have worked that out for myself. The default in 98SE (well, the one
> I had, anyway) was for "send to" to move the folder within a drive. I'm
> still finding my way round xp, but on my version the send-to command copies
> the file to the location by default but moves it if shift is depressed.
>
> There doesn't appear to be a Send To Powertoy available for xp, although
> some third-party freeware is available at
> http://www.gabrieleponti.com/software/ until Microsoft catches up.
> Alternatively, is there a registry modification to enable Send to Clipboard
> as Contents/Name?
>
> Trevor
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Sendto works identical in all versions of Windows.
> Key Description
> File System Objects
> Control Copies a file (default between drives)
> Shift Moves a file (default within a drive)
> Control and Shift (or Alt if dragging) Creates a shortcut (default for
> registered exe files)
> Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
> Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
> Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
> Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

> "cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
>> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
>> article.
>>
>> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
>> because,
>> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to
>> location
>> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
>> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Trevor

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, so far as I know I have only one (unpartitioned) hard disk, and
certainly only one hard disk drive letter, and I'm sending files from one
folder on C: to another folder on C:, so . . .

Anyway, they move with Shift, so that's fine.

Thanks for the Powertoys info and fix.

If it is copying then you are transfering across drives. Same as
95/NT4/98/2000/ME/XP.

95's PTs works fine.

Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove
programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click
Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Run the
fix below.
Type in Start Run

regsvr32 sendmail

This fixes the one problem that installing Win95 Power Toys Send To causes.
It still worthwhile installing then fixing for the added functionally of
Send To Powertoys. Win98 Send To Desktop As Shortcut and Powertoys Send to
Mail can't co-exist, but Win 98 includes it's own Send To Mail.

"Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message
> Thank you, David
>
> I should have worked that out for myself. The default in 98SE (well, the
> one
> I had, anyway) was for "send to" to move the folder within a drive. I'm
> still finding my way round xp, but on my version the send-to command
> copies
> the file to the location by default but moves it if shift is depressed.
>
> There doesn't appear to be a Send To Powertoy available for xp, although
> some third-party freeware is available at
> http://www.gabrieleponti.com/software/ until Microsoft catches up.
> Alternatively, is there a registry modification to enable Send to
> Clipboard
> as Contents/Name?
>
> Trevor
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Sendto works identical in all versions of Windows.
> Key Description
> File System Objects
> Control Copies a file (default between drives)
> Shift Moves a file (default within a drive)
> Control and Shift (or Alt if dragging) Creates a shortcut (default
> for
> registered exe files)
> Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
> Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
> Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
> Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

> "cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
>> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
>> article.
>>
>> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
>> because,
>> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to
>> location
>> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
>> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Trevor

What exactly are you doing. The source destination gets a say in what happens, eg Start Menu defaults to shortcuts. But dest folders don't specify the format for normal file moves/copies.

"Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message news:%232GvXFMpFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> for
>> registered exe files)
>> Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
>> Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
>> Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
>> Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
>>> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
>>> article.
>>>
>>> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
>>> because,
>>> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to
>>> location
>>> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
>>> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?

1. Right click the file (any type: doc, txt, exe, multimedia)
2. Select send to
3. Select folder from list (e.g. My Docs, or the folder I added to the menu)
4. Left click
Result: the file remains in its original location and a copy of it (not a
shortcut to it) is created in the destination folder
Replacing 4 above with Shift+Left Click moves the file to the destination
folder.

This seems to be a fairly well-known feature/annoyance of xp:

see http://www.theeldergeek.com/send_to_menu_command.htm, from which: 'It's
worth pointing out right here at the beginning that Send To is not a
substitute for the move command. The item is copied to the new location, not
moved. The item used to initiate the Send To command remains in its original
location without modification.'

and
http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?articleid=32134&page=1&pagetypeid=4&subsectionid=607,
from which:
'Extend Send To...
If you regularly use the same destinations for copying files, it’s worth
making a permanent link for it. [gives instructions] Now you have a
permanent file copy destination available to quickly send files or folders
to.

> [...]

>> for
>> registered exe files)
>> Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
>> Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
>> Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
>> Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
>>> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
>>> article.
>>>
>>> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
>>> because,
>>> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to
>>> location
>>> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
>>> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?

I don't. I haven't seen IE7 (I was offered some server product to beta test which prob incl IE7 but I didn't).

SDI not tabs.Why have two sets of tabs. Why go back to stupid app centric computing. This is MS not having the guts to stand up for what is right. What are we to make of this. 20 years of users being forced against their wills to move from app centric legacy mindset (and as you can tell from most mvps it hasn't worked) to document centric and now also task centric.

> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Sendto works identical in all versions of Windows.
> Key Description
> File System Objects
> Control Copies a file (default between drives)
> Shift Moves a file (default within a drive)
> Control and Shift (or Alt if dragging) Creates a shortcut (default for
> registered exe files)
> Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
> Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
> Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
> Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

> "cedilla" <none@all> wrote in message
>> Ah-ha! That's the one, Ramesh. You should add that to the Play All kb
>> article.
>>
>> However, that gives me another problem. I added the move-to command
>> because,
>> unlike 98, the send-to command only copies the file to the send-to
>> location
>> rather than moving it. Is there a way I can use the send-to command to
>> actually send a file and not just a copy of it?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Trevor
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Trevor,
>>>
>>> Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/movetocontext.htm
>>>
>>> "Play All" link in the Common Tasks does not work:
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/playall.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Trevor" <none@all> wrote in message

Looks like the majority like Tabs. Personally, I'm very much comfortable
with SDI. Perhaps Tabs take less resources than a new IE instance?

--

I don't. I haven't seen IE7 (I was offered some server product to beta test
which prob incl IE7 but I didn't).

SDI not tabs.Why have two sets of tabs. Why go back to stupid app centric
computing. This is MS not having the guts to stand up for what is right.
What are we to make of this. 20 years of users being forced against their
wills to move from app centric legacy mindset (and as you can tell from most
mvps it hasn't worked) to document centric and now also task centric.

> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

[snipped]