Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

I have inadvertently disabled my sound card and cannot system restore it -
hence I have no sound !

I tried to be clever and downloaded what I thought was an update for my
sound card from the Microsoft update page
(Custom - Hardware - C- media AC 97 ?)

I thought it was an update for my CMI Audio X3d ?

Now I cannot find mine original one anywhere (it is on the start up list and
used to appear as an icon )

And all is quite.

I have tried to system restore in an effort to back track but it will only
go so far and tell me it cannot restore - try another one. unfortunately
with the same result.

Any advice help would be gratefully received !

Incidentally the system properties now seem to save a yellow exclamation
mark and the name of the 'new' device ?

What can I do !!

many thanks everyone

Jim

dl

You roll back the driver from hardware devices, and selecting the device.

You should NOT use winupdate for any hw drivers, use manu.site only.

You need to visit your mobo.manu.web site and download the drivers from
there. Or PC manu.site if you have a branded PC, eg Dell,HP etc

You could try simply uninstalling the defective device, in hardware, then
reboot to see if win finds the correct driver.

"jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com> wrote in message
> I have inadvertently disabled my sound card and cannot system restore it -
> hence I have no sound !
>
> I tried to be clever and downloaded what I thought was an update for my
> sound card from the Microsoft update page
> (Custom - Hardware - C- media AC 97 ?)
>
> I thought it was an update for my CMI Audio X3d ?
>
> Now I cannot find mine original one anywhere (it is on the start up list
and
> used to appear as an icon )
>
> And all is quite.
>
> I have tried to system restore in an effort to back track but it will only
> go so far and tell me it cannot restore - try another one. unfortunately
> with the same result.
>
> Any advice help would be gratefully received !
>
> Incidentally the system properties now seem to save a yellow exclamation
> mark and the name of the 'new' device ?
>
> What can I do !!
>
> many thanks everyone
>
> Jim

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Thanks DL,

I gave the roll back a try - alas to no avail,

tried uninstalling the device - no good
not sure which manu site to go too because I now cannot see which version my
previous device was (the CMI Audio X3d)
when I could access it previously -from taskbar- I could access it's
settings and version etc ?

Now I am stuck with the C- media AC 97 in my devices !

AARRGGH !

I have also just tried the Restore again - which seems to be OK until the
reboot screen appears and I get the dreaded
'Restore has been unable to restore to an earlier point no changes have been
made to your computer'

I'd really appreciate any further guidance available.

Thanks

Jim

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> You roll back the driver from hardware devices, and selecting the device.
>
> You should NOT use winupdate for any hw drivers, use manu.site only.
>
> You need to visit your mobo.manu.web site and download the drivers from
> there. Or PC manu.site if you have a branded PC, eg Dell,HP etc
>
> You could try simply uninstalling the defective device, in hardware, then
> reboot to see if win finds the correct driver.
>
> "jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com> wrote in message
>> I have inadvertently disabled my sound card and cannot system restore
>> it -
>> hence I have no sound !
>>
>> I tried to be clever and downloaded what I thought was an update for my
>> sound card from the Microsoft update page
>> (Custom - Hardware - C- media AC 97 ?)
>>
>> I thought it was an update for my CMI Audio X3d ?
>>
>> Now I cannot find mine original one anywhere (it is on the start up list
> and
>> used to appear as an icon )
>>
>> And all is quite.
>>
>> I have tried to system restore in an effort to back track but it will
>> only
>> go so far and tell me it cannot restore - try another one. unfortunately
>> with the same result.
>>
>> Any advice help would be gratefully received !
>>
>> Incidentally the system properties now seem to save a yellow exclamation
>> mark and the name of the 'new' device ?
>>
>> What can I do !!
>>
>> many thanks everyone
>>
>> Jim

dl

On board sound:
The mobo manu.site

> Thanks DL,
>
> I gave the roll back a try - alas to no avail,
>
> tried uninstalling the device - no good
> not sure which manu site to go too because I now cannot see which version
my
> previous device was (the CMI Audio X3d)
> when I could access it previously -from taskbar- I could access it's
> settings and version etc ?
>
> Now I am stuck with the C- media AC 97 in my devices !
>
> AARRGGH !
>
> I have also just tried the Restore again - which seems to be OK until the
> reboot screen appears and I get the dreaded
> 'Restore has been unable to restore to an earlier point no changes have
been
> made to your computer'
>
> I'd really appreciate any further guidance available.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
>

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > You roll back the driver from hardware devices, and selecting the
device.

> > You should NOT use winupdate for any hw drivers, use manu.site only.
> >
> > You need to visit your mobo.manu.web site and download the drivers from
> > there. Or PC manu.site if you have a branded PC, eg Dell,HP etc
> >
> > You could try simply uninstalling the defective device, in hardware,
then
> > reboot to see if win finds the correct driver.
> >
> > "jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com> wrote in message
> >> I have inadvertently disabled my sound card and cannot system restore
> >> it -
> >> hence I have no sound !
> >>
> >> I tried to be clever and downloaded what I thought was an update for my
> >> sound card from the Microsoft update page
> >> (Custom - Hardware - C- media AC 97 ?)
> >>
> >> I thought it was an update for my CMI Audio X3d ?
> >>
> >> Now I cannot find mine original one anywhere (it is on the start up
list
> > and
> >> used to appear as an icon )
> >>
> >> And all is quite.
> >>
> >> I have tried to system restore in an effort to back track but it will
> >> only
> >> go so far and tell me it cannot restore - try another one.
unfortunately
> >> with the same result.
> >>
> >> Any advice help would be gratefully received !
> >>
> >> Incidentally the system properties now seem to save a yellow
exclamation
> >> mark and the name of the 'new' device ?
> >>
> >> What can I do !!
> >>
> >> many thanks everyone
> >>
> >> Jim

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Thanks DL,

But please forgive me ignorance,but how do I find out what my Mobo
(motherboard ?) Is ?

Thanks for the input.