Radeon 8500 help needed..

G

Hello all... this is my first post here.. amazing that I havent registered yet,... I love Tom's...

At any rate, I need som advice from the more seasoned graphics vets out there...

I should be receiving me new 8500 in the mail today... it is from newegg.com and is an OEM... as i am sure you are all well aware of, the OEMs are shipping at a reduced clock speed of 250/250, etc.

My question is tri-fold: ;)

1) how can i verify that my card has been ratcheted down?

2) can i reliably overclock it to a more respectable speed to match that of the retail version?

3) would you recommend returning the card alltogether (newegg has already said they will offer a FULL refund including s&h) and purchase a retail version - or - get a geforce3 ti variant?

thanks for any and all feedback you can provide...

regards,

d

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
althogh the 8500 is a good card, the ATI fiesco is a bad story, i would recomand u either get a retail version for the higher clock speed ot the ti200.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Best way is to use PowerStrip which works with the Radeon 8500. You will be able to know the speed and you will be able to try overclocking. Some have been able to overclock faster then the Radeon Retail default speeds while others could not. Download here:

<A HREF="http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ftp/pstrip.exe" target="_new">PowerStrip</A>

The server is down right now but should be up latter, keep on trying.