OEM vs Retail 8500

G

Any word if the OEM version of ATI's 8500 is gimped compared to the Retail version; was told OEM = 250/250 and Retail was 275/275 ( graphics chip/memory ). Anyone hear same thing?

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
I'm not sure about the actual clock frequencys, but I know that the OEM cards <b>is</b> clocked slower than the retail card.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

G

thanks my friend - sorta lame that its slower, basically figured getting the oem version with a new box since it was a bit cheaper and the way most of us been going thru vid cards lately, the lowest price you pay would benefit upgrading next round of vid cards with the same company if the price is right.. but the OEM card from what I am hearing, just isn't the same card as the retail; IE: the speed is greater for 40 dollars more in the retail with the support directly from ATI. The problem with that is, in my opinion is that the computer store is next door and if a replacement is needed I can just exchange for another, where ATI retail is a bit slower in a jam.. oh well I am bitching to the wrong crowd.

thx for the answers ( much respect )

Sobe

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Buy the OEM online for hecka cheap. Then go to the local computer store and buy the retail version using a credit card. Put the Retail card in your computer, put the OEM card into the retail package, and then return your new "retail" card to the store. :lol:

That way, you get the Retail card with faster clockspeeds for the price of the OEM. It's evil, but it works. :wink:

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Holy crap that's evil!

Although, are you sure most stores will refund opened products? Usually you have to exchange for the same exact thing...

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
any one know how to see memory latency on a G3 card, it performs worse then the others and i didnt notice that when i bought it i saw somewhere that the OEM version got 4ns..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Most stores in my area will return them. Probably the worst that will happen is that you exchange it for store credit, then just save it for something you can actually use. Just do some research beforehand and find a place that will refurn opened merchandise. It's not like you are returning software that you could have copied or anything.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>