Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Just installed windows 7, can't access 2nd hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
September 14, 2009 8:29:45 AM

So I had windows XP installed and decided to upgrade to 7.

I moved all of my files onto HD2 which is just a 1TB storage device, formatted HD1 and installed 7.

Problem is, I can't access HD2 to get all of my files.

I can see it in the BIOS, as well as on the Device Manager but it doesn't show up in Disk Management to assign it a drive letter.

It is enabled in Device Manager, I tried updating the driver and uninstalling/reinstalling and nothing has worked so far.

I need to get the data off this so formatting isn't an option.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
September 14, 2009 11:03:18 AM

1.I can see in disk management that You can scroll down, so there are some more entries, another hdd or cd. Check that it is not there.

2.When updating drivers did you use update driver option from device manager? You should go to m/b manufactures website an download latest SATA/ RAID drivers from there.

3. You might try to enable RAID feature on bios and let the RAID bios to handle HDD's without creating actual RAID. This worked for one of my friends who has single HDD, he could not even istall W7 because setup did not see it, loading drivers did not help. Then I enabled RAID feature and let RAID bios to handle hdd which worked like a treat.

Score
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 14, 2009 4:46:29 PM

ainarssems said:
1.I can see in disk management that You can scroll down, so there are some more entries, another hdd or cd. Check that it is not there.
My money's on this one...

Jeremy: kudos on including the pictures, that makes it so much easier to help!
Score
September 14, 2009 5:05:31 PM

I scrolled down and there's nothing beneath the drive F CD-rom.

I tried downloading the mobo drivers from the website but couldn't get the SATA/RAID drivers to install (they only had xp and vista drivers) I tried using properties>compatability setting it to service back 1, 2, 3 etc. and it still wouldnt install.

Finally I found my mobo disc and it seems like they're installing ok from there so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks alot for the responses!
Score
September 14, 2009 5:16:37 PM

Nope - getting an error when trying to install from mobo disc as well.

Also I enabled RAID and it fails to boot.

Help?

Also not sure if this helps at all but when I go to device manager select the HD that it can't find and do properties>volumes there's nothing there and when I click populate I get the error "Volume information for this disk cannot be found."

When I try installing the software from the website I get the error "This computer does not meet the minimum requirments for installing the software.

Setup will exit."

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 775 RT if that helps and this is where I downloaded the drivers:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model...
Score
September 14, 2009 5:41:08 PM

Have you the latest BIOS for m/b?

If it fails to boot after enabling RAID, run startup repair from W7 installation CD. You might want to download RAID drivers from Gigabyte before this. You can use Vista ones just make sure You choose correct ones X86 or X64 and have them on CD or USB stick in case if W7 CD does not see Your drives. You need the ones that are 0.28-0.3MB for this.

If that fails can you test HDD in another PC to check if it works?
Score
September 14, 2009 6:15:22 PM

I think I have the latest BIOS, how do I check (sorry sort of a noob when it comes to this stuff)

I can't run the startup repair for a few hours because I borrowed the disc from a friend and it's at his house.

I checked the HD in another PC and it worked fine.

Anything else I can try until I can get the disc?
Score
September 14, 2009 8:31:35 PM

Startup repair should get your W7 working with RAID enabled and then You can check if Your other hdd shows up.
Another option would be to get external casing for hdd.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2009 9:44:16 PM

If your using a cracked windows 7, that could be your problem.
Score
October 13, 2009 8:53:14 PM

I had the exact same problem, where I couldn't see my 2nd HDD in explorer. I found your thread and got dissapointed in finding no solution here either. However, I just managed to solve it. I tried everything I could find on the net and finally made a new clean install, still no luck. Then I almost got angry cause the solution was so simple.

I opened "Computer" from the Start menu, still couldn't see my 2nd HDD. Then I right clicked "Computer" to the left by the shortcuts, and selected "Manage" (my version is not in English, so I'm translating as I go), which brought up a window called "Computer management". To the left there was "Storage", and under it "Disk management". There I found all my drives (2 HDDs and a DVD drive). The first HDD and the DVD had the names C and D, while the 2nd HDD which was suppose to be D had no name. So I changed the DVD to E and the 2nd HDD to D, then closed the window. And viola!

Hope this works for you too!
Cheers
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2009 9:47:13 PM

lizciz said:
I had the exact same problem, where I couldn't see my 2nd HDD in explorer. I found your thread and got dissapointed in finding no solution here either. However, I just managed to solve it. I tried everything I could find on the net and finally made a new clean install, still no luck. Then I almost got angry cause the solution was so simple.

I opened "Computer" from the Start menu, still couldn't see my 2nd HDD. Then I right clicked "Computer" to the left by the shortcuts, and selected "Manage" (my version is not in English, so I'm translating as I go), which brought up a window called "Computer management". To the left there was "Storage", and under it "Disk management". There I found all my drives (2 HDDs and a DVD drive). The first HDD and the DVD had the names C and D, while the 2nd HDD which was suppose to be D had no name. So I changed the DVD to E and the 2nd HDD to D, then closed the window. And viola!

Cheers

You are my hero, I had the same problem and this was the correct answer.
Score
November 20, 2009 8:07:08 AM

lizciz - great answer - I found my hard drive in there but it was marked as "foreign" (is this Microsoft being racist !!!). I was given 2 options, one was "import" and this worked fine. The other options involved destroying all data (it did explain this and gives you an opportunity to bail out, tho), so beware.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2009 1:45:35 PM

Ultimate boot CD for windows is best for you.

www.ubcd4win.com

If not download this.

Just go to nearest market and purchase a CD OR DVD which have include
installed windows.
Score
December 5, 2009 5:41:09 PM

lizciz said:

Cheers

I just installed Windows 7 64bit for the first time this morning and was desperately looking for that Disk Management feature in order to activate my extra internal drive. Thanks to you I can now access all my downloaded movies again.
Score
December 20, 2010 3:10:49 PM

Thanks, this worked for me as well except I also had to format the 2nd DH drive first. I was able to do that in the same screen.
Dave
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 22, 2010 3:39:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
Score
!