Explorer/Internet Explorer menu missing

Not sure how that happened or if i have a virus of some sort. I cannot see
in IE the file-edit-tools-windows menu at the top of the navagation icons. I
have a virus scanner that updates daily, so may be that my grand daughter
changed something. How do i restore them back to the way it was?

Thank you for all help,
Maxine

You probably hit F11 by mistake.

Open IE and press your F11 key.

You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.

The Menu Bar has:
File
Edit
View
Favorites
Tools
Help

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uooKVMCpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:
> Not sure how that happened or if i have a virus of some sort. I cannot see
> in IE the file-edit-tools-windows menu at the top of the navagation
> icons. I have a virus scanner that updates daily, so may be that my grand
> daughter changed something. How do i restore them back to the way it was?
>
> Thank you for all help,
> Maxine

Wes,
Thank you for your reply. I tried the F11 while in Explorer and it did not
work. I can't right click on the bar to bring up the menu to customize the
icons.

Thanks,
Maxine

> You probably hit F11 by mistake.
>
> Open IE and press your F11 key.
>
> You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.
>
> The Menu Bar has:
> File
> Edit
> View
> Favorites
> Tools
> Help
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uooKVMCpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Not sure how that happened or if i have a virus of some sort. I cannot
>> see
>> in IE the file-edit-tools-windows menu at the top of the navagation
>> icons. I have a virus scanner that updates daily, so may be that my grand
>> daughter changed something. How do i restore them back to the way it was?
>>
>> Thank you for all help,
>> Maxine

Maxine,

You will have to try these in both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.

Try Alt + Spacebar and select Restore.
or Alt + Spacebar + R.

Try Alt + V and UNCheck Full Screen.
or Alt + V + F.

Try Alt + V, point to Toolbars and select Menu Bar.
or Alt + V + T + M.

Also the File menus could have been removed do to Group Policy and/or a
registry setting.

Open the Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
and/or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
Value Name: NoFileMenu
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = The File menus are active.
1 = The File menus are removed or disabled.
NoFileMenu not listed in registry = The File menus are active.

If XP Pro, use Group Policy...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK|
Navigate to >>>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
Windows Explorer\
Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
Set to: Not configured

Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
[[Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer.

This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to perform
tasks available on the File menu.

Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer, and disables
the File menu in Internet Explorer.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eHTzH6MpFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
> Thank you for your reply. I tried the F11 while in Explorer and it did not
> work. I can't right click on the bar to bring up the menu to customize the
> icons.
>
> Thanks,
> Maxine

>> You probably hit F11 by mistake.
>>
>> Open IE and press your F11 key.
>>
>> You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.
>>
>> The Menu Bar has:
>> File
>> Edit
>> View
>> Favorites
>> Tools
>> Help
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uooKVMCpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> Not sure how that happened or if i have a virus of some sort. I cannot
>>> see
>>> in IE the file-edit-tools-windows menu at the top of the navagation
>>> icons. I have a virus scanner that updates daily, so may be that my
>>> grand daughter changed something. How do i restore them back to the way
>>> it was?
>>>
>>> Thank you for all help,
>>> Maxine

This is a persistant little devil.
The ALT + spacebar (+) R, only resizes the screen
Alt + V (+) F, T, or M did not happen the menu bar is missing completely in
IE and Explorer, but i do have it in OE
the first registry location - there was nothing named NOFILEMENU
the second registry - the was nothing named EXPLORER only NONENUM, RATINGS,
SYSTEM
Group Policy, everything on the list is set to NOT CONFIGURED

If this helps any, my virus scanner found a trojan this morning in the
temporary internet files. I went through there and deleted everything.

Thank you,
Maxine

> Maxine,
>
> You will have to try these in both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
>
> Try Alt + Spacebar and select Restore.
> or Alt + Spacebar + R.
>
> Try Alt + V and UNCheck Full Screen.
> or Alt + V + F.
>
> Try Alt + V, point to Toolbars and select Menu Bar.
> or Alt + V + T + M.
>
> Also the File menus could have been removed do to Group Policy and/or a
> registry setting.
>
> Open the Registry Editor...
> Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
> Navigate to >>>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
> Policies\Explorer
> and/or
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
> Policies\Explorer
> Value Name: NoFileMenu
> Value Type: REG_DWORD
> Value Data: 0 or 1
> 0 = The File menus are active.
> 1 = The File menus are removed or disabled.
> NoFileMenu not listed in registry = The File menus are active.
>
> If XP Pro, use Group Policy...
> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK|
> Navigate to >>>
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
> Windows Explorer\
> Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
> Set to: Not configured
>
> Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
> [[Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer.
>
> This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to perform
> tasks available on the File menu.
>
> Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer, and disables
> the File menu in Internet Explorer.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eHTzH6MpFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Wes,
>> Thank you for your reply. I tried the F11 while in Explorer and it did
>> not
>> work. I can't right click on the bar to bring up the menu to customize
>> the
>> icons.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Maxine

>>> You probably hit F11 by mistake.
>>>
>>> Open IE and press your F11 key.
>>>
>>> You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.
>>>
>>> The Menu Bar has:
>>> File
>>> Edit
>>> View
>>> Favorites
>>> Tools
>>> Help
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:uooKVMCpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:

Maxine,

So did removing the trojan fix the problem? Did you reboot after removing
the trojan?

Most folks do not empty their Temporary Internet Files folder often enough.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ODDtVzSpFHA.2504@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>> Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
>> Set to: Not configured
>>
>> Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
>> [[Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer.
>>
>> This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to perform
>> tasks available on the File menu.
>>
>> Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer, and disables
>> the File menu in Internet Explorer.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:eHTzH6MpFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wes,
>>> Thank you for your reply. I tried the F11 while in Explorer and it did
>>> not
>>> work. I can't right click on the bar to bring up the menu to customize

Wesly,

I found this article that applies to my situation:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555130
Now the only problem is, some the things it says to edit, aren't there. So
now what? Under the TOOLBARS i have folders, Explorer, ShellBrowser, and
Webbrowser. In the right hand pane i have:
(Default)
{1E796980-9CC5-11D1-A83F-00C04FC99D61} A WHOLE BUNCH OF NUMBERS FOLLOW
{710EB7A1-45ED-11D0-924A-0020AFC7AC4D} A WHOLE BUNCH OF NUMBERS FOLLOW HERE
TOO
LinksFolderName Links
Locked 0x00000001 (1)

Thank you for all your troubles in helping me with this. I appreciate your
help.

Maxine

> [...]
>>> Policies\Explorer
>>> Value Name: NoFileMenu
>>> Value Type: REG_DWORD
>>> Value Data: 0 or 1
>>> 0 = The File menus are active.
>>> 1 = The File menus are removed or disabled.
>>> NoFileMenu not listed in registry = The File menus are active.
>>>
>>> If XP Pro, use Group Policy...
>>> Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK|
>>> Navigate to >>>
>>> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
>>> Windows Explorer\
>>> Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
>>> Set to: Not configured
>>>
>>> Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
>>> [[Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer.
>>>
>>> This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to perform
>>> tasks available on the File menu.
>>>
>>> Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer, and

Hi Maxine,

The EXE or VBS files below will do the same thing automatically as the
instructions in...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555130

Either one will delete the proper ITBarLayout value. Those values will be
recreated.

Go here...

Read the instructions at the top
3. Restore Missing Toolbars EXE or VBS
Click on EXE or VBS

Clicking EXE will download ToolbarRepair.Exe.
Clicking VBS will download ietoolbars.vbs.

Run either one by double clicking the file.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uAI7jPgpFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>> pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:ODDtVzSpFHA.2504@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Maxine <max@adiis.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> This is a persistant little devil.
>>> The ALT + spacebar (+) R, only resizes the screen
>>> Alt + V (+) F, T, or M did not happen the menu bar is missing
>>> completely in IE and Explorer, but i do have it in OE
>>> the first registry location - there was nothing named NOFILEMENU
>>> the second registry - the was nothing named EXPLORER only NONENUM,
>>> RATINGS, SYSTEM
>>> Group Policy, everything on the list is set to NOT CONFIGURED
>>>
>>> If this helps any, my virus scanner found a trojan this morning in the
>>> temporary internet files. I went through there and deleted everything.

Wes,

I have contacted Microsoft for this problem and they are helping me with
this. She gave me two ideas to try, which both failed and the next step was
to send my system info to her. If you like i can send you the results.

Maxine

Remove the 123. 123WVogel955@comcast.net

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.