dick

I've spent the past week getting my new Toshiba laptop operating my
necessary programs, etc. I now need to remove several programs no longer
needed. The laptop is running XP SP2 as is my desktop sitting next to it,
from which I can compare settings, etc. When I go to Add/Remove on the
laptop the list it provides after "populating" ends at MS Digital Image, and
no further programs are shown. I checked with another "uninstaller" program
that I have on the laptop and it shows some 30 more programs farther down
the alphabet plus the many MS updates, etc.

This is not a problem with my desktop, and the settings that I have found on
it and compared to the ones on the laptop are the same, such as "show all
programs", etc. I must be overlooking something important.

Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

dick

This relates to my original post, shown below, and redefines my need for
help. I just found that if I scroll all the way down to the bottom the
missing files appear. HOWEVER, when scrolling down the screen beyond MS
Digital Image I encountered the screen becoming light blue , and after much
scrolling it then contains a very long series of wide black lines that
extends for many "screen lengths" before becoming a light blue screen that
further extends for many "screen lengths" before revealing the list of
programs and files that follow the MS Digital Image file mentioned in the
original post below. I estimate that of the total length of the right hand
scroll bar more than 95% of it contains the blue screen and the black bars.
The listed files use maybe 2% at the top and the remainder occupy maybe 3%
at the very bottom

Sorry for the confusion on my part but after the screen changes mentioned
and lengthy scrolling I assumed that the files I was looking for had
disappeared.

Again, thanks for suggestions that will help me get the listed files back
together. Dick

"Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I've spent the past week getting my new Toshiba laptop operating my
> necessary programs, etc. I now need to remove several programs no longer
> needed. The laptop is running XP SP2 as is my desktop sitting next to it,
> from which I can compare settings, etc. When I go to Add/Remove on the
> laptop the list it provides after "populating" ends at MS Digital Image,
> and no further programs are shown. I checked with another "uninstaller"
> program that I have on the laptop and it shows some 30 more programs
> farther down the alphabet plus the many MS updates, etc.
>
> This is not a problem with my desktop, and the settings that I have found
> on it and compared to the ones on the laptop are the same, such as "show
> all programs", etc. I must be overlooking something important.
>
> Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
see if this is the problem.

If it is...

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----
***
From anonymous poster...

One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23Sn6ZZCpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> I've spent the past week getting my new Toshiba laptop operating my
> necessary programs, etc. I now need to remove several programs no longer
> needed. The laptop is running XP SP2 as is my desktop sitting next to it,
> from which I can compare settings, etc. When I go to Add/Remove on the
> laptop the list it provides after "populating" ends at MS Digital Image,
> and no further programs are shown. I checked with another "uninstaller"
> program that I have on the laptop and it shows some 30 more programs
> farther down the alphabet plus the many MS updates, etc.
>
> This is not a problem with my desktop, and the settings that I have found
> on it and compared to the ones on the laptop are the same, such as "show
> all programs", etc. I must be overlooking something important.
>
> Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

dick

Thanks for the input. The top list ends with Microsoft Digital Image, and
then after the lengthy empty space it picks up again with Microsoft
Intellipoint 5.0, and appears fine from that point on. Dick

> [...]
>> I've spent the past week getting my new Toshiba laptop operating my
>> necessary programs, etc. I now need to remove several programs no longer
>> needed. The laptop is running XP SP2 as is my desktop sitting next to
>> it,
>> from which I can compare settings, etc. When I go to Add/Remove on the
>> laptop the list it provides after "populating" ends at MS Digital Image,
>> and no further programs are shown. I checked with another "uninstaller"
>> program that I have on the laptop and it shows some 30 more programs
>> farther down the alphabet plus the many MS updates, etc.
>>
>> This is not a problem with my desktop, and the settings that I have found
>> on it and compared to the ones on the laptop are the same, such as "show
>> all programs", etc. I must be overlooking something important.
>>
>> Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

I do not have Microsoft Digital Image.

You'll have to find it yourself.

In news:OWyhq9CpFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>>> I've spent the past week getting my new Toshiba laptop operating my
>>> necessary programs, etc. I now need to remove several programs no
>>> longer needed. The laptop is running XP SP2 as is my desktop sitting
>>> next to it,
>>> from which I can compare settings, etc. When I go to Add/Remove on the
>>> laptop the list it provides after "populating" ends at MS Digital Image,
>>> and no further programs are shown. I checked with another "uninstaller"
>>> program that I have on the laptop and it shows some 30 more programs
>>> farther down the alphabet plus the many MS updates, etc.
>>>
>>> This is not a problem with my desktop, and the settings that I have
>>> found on it and compared to the ones on the laptop are the same, such
>>> as "show all programs", etc. I must be overlooking something important.
>>>
>>> Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

I found Digital Image and it has no keys to match those mentioned below. It
has no "displayicon" and no setting that has a negative figure. I did
uninstall DI and found the blanck space results the same EXCEPT that the
blue background disappeared, but the long wide black lines remain. I have
looked at the registry info on all of the programs and find nothing with a
negative number. I installed two MS programs yesterday and they were listed
following Digital Image (now removed) but after the blank space, but I do
know that the large blank space (with black lines) I am referring to,
existed prior to their installation. Should I just keep uninstalling
backwards until the white space disappears? If so I should do so by date of
installation and not by alphabetical order. Correct?

Thanks for your attention and interest. Dick

> [...]
>>>
>>> autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
>>> %systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
>>> {5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
>>> Value Name: DisplayIcon
>>> Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
>>> Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
>>> -----
>>> ***
>>> From snowman...
>>> AutoCAD 2002 is
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
>>> {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
>>> -----
>>> ***
>>> From anonymous poster...
>>>
>>> One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference
>>> that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.

I was mistaken about the blue color disappearing. Once I clicked in the
blank space the blue color returned just as it appears when you select a
program to be deleted. So that wasn't a change after all.

>I found Digital Image and it has no keys to match those mentioned below.
>It has no "displayicon" and no setting that has a negative figure. I did
>uninstall DI and found the blanck space results the same EXCEPT that the
>blue background disappeared, but the long wide black lines remain. I have
>looked at the registry info on all of the programs and find nothing with a
>negative number. I installed two MS programs yesterday and they were
>listed following Digital Image (now removed) but after the blank space, but
>I do know that the large blank space (with black lines) I am referring to,
>existed prior to their installation. Should I just keep uninstalling
>backwards until the white space disappears? If so I should do so by date
>of installation and not by alphabetical order. Correct?
>
> Thanks for your attention and interest. Dick

>>I do not have Microsoft Digital Image.
>>
>> You'll have to find it yourself.
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OWyhq9CpFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thanks for the input. The top list ends with Microsoft Digital Image,
>>> and
>>> then after the lengthy empty space it picks up again with Microsoft
>>> Intellipoint 5.0, and appears fine from that point on. Dick

>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

Dick,

First thing to try: Reboot. Then open Add or Remove Programs again.

Do not keep uninstalling programs. This problem is annoying, but it isn't
worth spending a boatload of time trying to fix it, since you know that you
can scroll down to see the rest of the programs in the list.

Someone stated that the blank space, color other than white, appeared
because he had uninstalled a program, but that program was still listed in
Add or Remove Programs. He removed the reference in the registry, rebooted
and the other colored space was gone from Add or Remove Programs.

Do you see any programs in the list that you know you have uninstalled?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23N2VNhFpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> I was mistaken about the blue color disappearing. Once I clicked in the
> blank space the blue color returned just as it appears when you select a
> program to be deleted. So that wasn't a change after all.
>
> "Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I found Digital Image and it has no keys to match those mentioned below.
>> It has no "displayicon" and no setting that has a negative figure. I did
>> uninstall DI and found the blanck space results the same EXCEPT that the
>> blue background disappeared, but the long wide black lines remain. I
>> have looked at the registry info on all of the programs and find nothing
>> with a negative number. I installed two MS programs yesterday and they
>> were listed following Digital Image (now removed) but after the blank
>> space, but I do know that the large blank space (with black lines) I am
>> referring to, existed prior to their installation. Should I just keep
>> uninstalling backwards until the white space disappears? If so I should
>> do so by date of installation and not by alphabetical order. Correct?
>>
>> Thanks for your attention and interest. Dick

>>> I do not have Microsoft Digital Image.
>>>
>>> You'll have to find it yourself.
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:OWyhq9CpFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>>> Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{}

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

dick

Fortunately the new laptop is running beside my desktop so I am easily able
to do whatever you suggest. I have just scanned each program listed in the
registry and have found none that I uninstalled that are still shown. I
just re-booted again and find that all is still the same. I just prefer to
have things as they should be as you probably do. I guess I will just
tolerate it and use other uninstall programs.

Thanks for you time, effort and interest.

Dick

> Dick,
>
> First thing to try: Reboot. Then open Add or Remove Programs again.
>
> Do not keep uninstalling programs. This problem is annoying, but it isn't
> worth spending a boatload of time trying to fix it, since you know that
> you
> can scroll down to see the rest of the programs in the list.
>
> Someone stated that the blank space, color other than white, appeared
> because he had uninstalled a program, but that program was still listed in
> Add or Remove Programs. He removed the reference in the registry,
> rebooted
> and the other colored space was gone from Add or Remove Programs.
>
> Do you see any programs in the list that you know you have uninstalled?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23N2VNhFpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>> I was mistaken about the blue color disappearing. Once I clicked in the
>> blank space the blue color returned just as it appears when you select a
>> program to be deleted. So that wasn't a change after all.
>>
>> "Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> I found Digital Image and it has no keys to match those mentioned below.
>>> It has no "displayicon" and no setting that has a negative figure. I
>>> did
>>> uninstall DI and found the blanck space results the same EXCEPT that the
>>> blue background disappeared, but the long wide black lines remain. I
>>> have looked at the registry info on all of the programs and find nothing
>>> with a negative number. I installed two MS programs yesterday and they
>>> were listed following Digital Image (now removed) but after the blank
>>> space, but I do know that the large blank space (with black lines) I am
>>> referring to, existed prior to their installation. Should I just keep
>>> uninstalling backwards until the white space disappears? If so I should
>>> do so by date of installation and not by alphabetical order. Correct?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your attention and interest. Dick

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{}

> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
>>>>>>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

arleen

"Dick" wrote:

> I've spent the past week getting my new Toshiba laptop operating my
> necessary programs, etc. I now need to remove several programs no longer
> needed. The laptop is running XP SP2 as is my desktop sitting next to it,
> from which I can compare settings, etc. When I go to Add/Remove on the
> laptop the list it provides after "populating" ends at MS Digital Image, and
> no further programs are shown. I checked with another "uninstaller" program
> that I have on the laptop and it shows some 30 more programs farther down
> the alphabet plus the many MS updates, etc.
>
> This is not a problem with my desktop, and the settings that I have found on
> it and compared to the ones on the laptop are the same, such as "show all
> programs", etc. I must be overlooking something important.
>
> Suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

> I just prefer to have things as they should be as you probably do.

Yes, I do. But after wasting countless hours, I have given up on getting
rid of Balloon Tips. ;-)

Look through every entry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
for a negative (-) listing under DisplayIcon in the Value Data.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%2340pHmGpFHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> Fortunately the new laptop is running beside my desktop so I am easily
> able to do whatever you suggest. I have just scanned each program listed
> in the registry and have found none that I uninstalled that are still
> shown. I just re-booted again and find that all is still the same. I
> just prefer to have things as they should be as you probably do. I guess
> I will just tolerate it and use other uninstall programs.
>
> Thanks for you time, effort and interest.
>
> Dick

>> Dick,
>>
>> First thing to try: Reboot. Then open Add or Remove Programs again.
>>
>> Do not keep uninstalling programs. This problem is annoying, but it
>> isn't worth spending a boatload of time trying to fix it, since you know
>> that you
>> can scroll down to see the rest of the programs in the list.
>>
>> Someone stated that the blank space, color other than white, appeared
>> because he had uninstalled a program, but that program was still listed
>> in Add or Remove Programs. He removed the reference in the registry,
>> rebooted
>> and the other colored space was gone from Add or Remove Programs.
>>
>> Do you see any programs in the list that you know you have uninstalled?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23N2VNhFpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I was mistaken about the blue color disappearing. Once I clicked in the
>>> blank space the blue color returned just as it appears when you select a
>>> program to be deleted. So that wasn't a change after all.
>>>
>>> "Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{}

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
>>>>>>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Fitz

Try this...found in a forum somewhere.
*****************************
Guys, I've had the same "big blank space in Add/Remove Programs screen"
problem and it ain't spyware.

It's a hosed 'DisplayIcon' in a registry entry in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The value for DisplayIcon should be a path to an icon file, plus an optional
comma-followed-by-a-number. If the optional number is -1, you'll get the big
blank. Just search through the key mentioned above for "DisplayIcon",
checking the value of each. If you find a ",-1" in any of them, remove the
comma and the -1 and you'll be OK

*****************************

"Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Fortunately the new laptop is running beside my desktop so I am easily
> able to do whatever you suggest. I have just scanned each program listed
> in the registry and have found none that I uninstalled that are still
> shown. I just re-booted again and find that all is still the same. I
> just prefer to have things as they should be as you probably do. I guess
> I will just tolerate it and use other uninstall programs.
>
> Thanks for you time, effort and interest.
>
> Dick

>> Dick,
>>
>> First thing to try: Reboot. Then open Add or Remove Programs again.
>>
>> Do not keep uninstalling programs. This problem is annoying, but it
>> isn't
>> worth spending a boatload of time trying to fix it, since you know that
>> you
>> can scroll down to see the rest of the programs in the list.
>>
>> Someone stated that the blank space, color other than white, appeared
>> because he had uninstalled a program, but that program was still listed
>> in
>> Add or Remove Programs. He removed the reference in the registry,
>> rebooted
>> and the other colored space was gone from Add or Remove Programs.
>>
>> Do you see any programs in the list that you know you have uninstalled?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23N2VNhFpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Dick <roving@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I was mistaken about the blue color disappearing. Once I clicked in the
>>> blank space the blue color returned just as it appears when you select a
>>> program to be deleted. So that wasn't a change after all.
>>>
>>> "Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{}

>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
>>>>>>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

dick

Thanks to all. I'll look again. And now a good tip from me. The way to
not see balloon tips ever again, is to turn your head the other way. It
works for me.

Dick

<LOL> I'll have to try that one.

--