Change drive letters

Currently my primary drive is lettered f:. My slave is lettered c: I tried
to use disk management, but the drive lettered c: contains a page file and
cannot be relettered. The system won't allow the f: drive to be changed. I
want to swap c for f and vice versa.
--
Thanks, niel
6 answers Last reply

    You can remove the paging file from the C: temporarily. Windows key
    Pause/Break to call up System Properties. Then Advanced and Virtual Memory.
    Use Administrative Tools:Computer Management:Disk Management. Right click on
    your Drive and designate the new letter. You have to name one of the drives
    to a letter beyond the present existing drive letters (e.g. C to H), reboot,
    move another drive (e.g. F to C) reboot, and finally rename the drive the
    last drive.

    Search the forum, recently someone answered the same question.

    By the way, seriously consider having only the OS and program files on the
    boot partition and all documets and media on other partitions or drives. If
    XP has to be reinstalled and the boot partition reformatted all of the other
    data on your computer will be safe.

    "niel" wrote:

    > Currently my primary drive is lettered f:. My slave is lettered c: I tried
    > to use disk management, but the drive lettered c: contains a page file and
    > cannot be relettered. The system won't allow the f: drive to be changed. I
    > want to swap c for f and vice versa.
    > --
    > Thanks, niel

    Search Windows XP Setup and Deployment

    "Arne" wrote:

    > You can remove the paging file from the C: temporarily. Windows key
    > Pause/Break to call up System Properties. Then Advanced and Virtual Memory.
    > Use Administrative Tools:Computer Management:Disk Management. Right click on
    > your Drive and designate the new letter. You have to name one of the drives
    > to a letter beyond the present existing drive letters (e.g. C to H), reboot,
    > move another drive (e.g. F to C) reboot, and finally rename the drive the
    > last drive.
    >
    > Search the forum, recently someone answered the same question.
    >
    > By the way, seriously consider having only the OS and program files on the
    > boot partition and all documets and media on other partitions or drives. If
    > XP has to be reinstalled and the boot partition reformatted all of the other
    > data on your computer will be safe.
    >
    > "niel" wrote:
    >
    > > Currently my primary drive is lettered f:. My slave is lettered c: I tried
    > > to use disk management, but the drive lettered c: contains a page file and
    > > cannot be relettered. The system won't allow the f: drive to be changed. I
    > > want to swap c for f and vice versa.
    > > --
    > > Thanks, niel

    Thanks for your help. I looked for other subjects in the forum, but I guess
    I missed it.
    --
    Thanks, niel

    "Arne" wrote:

    > Search Windows XP Setup and Deployment
    >
    > "Arne" wrote:
    >
    > > You can remove the paging file from the C: temporarily. Windows key
    > > Pause/Break to call up System Properties. Then Advanced and Virtual Memory.
    > > Use Administrative Tools:Computer Management:Disk Management. Right click on
    > > your Drive and designate the new letter. You have to name one of the drives
    > > to a letter beyond the present existing drive letters (e.g. C to H), reboot,
    > > move another drive (e.g. F to C) reboot, and finally rename the drive the
    > > last drive.
    > >
    > > Search the forum, recently someone answered the same question.
    > >
    > > By the way, seriously consider having only the OS and program files on the
    > > boot partition and all documets and media on other partitions or drives. If
    > > XP has to be reinstalled and the boot partition reformatted all of the other
    > > data on your computer will be safe.
    > >
    > > "niel" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Currently my primary drive is lettered f:. My slave is lettered c: I tried
    > > > to use disk management, but the drive lettered c: contains a page file and
    > > > cannot be relettered. The system won't allow the f: drive to be changed. I
    > > > want to swap c for f and vice versa.
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks, niel

    Friend had same problem after couple days of looking through microsoft data
    base the only was possible or the only answer they will give you is to
    reinstall winxp from scratch like conor said. My friend just deals with it
    but he has had some programs that will not install unless the main OS is
    labeled C: drive

    "niel" wrote:

    > Thanks for your help. I looked for other subjects in the forum, but I guess
    > I missed it.
    > --
    > Thanks, niel
    >

    > "Arne" wrote:
    >
    > > Search Windows XP Setup and Deployment
    > >
    > > "Arne" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You can remove the paging file from the C: temporarily. Windows key
    > > > Pause/Break to call up System Properties. Then Advanced and Virtual Memory.
    > > > Use Administrative Tools:Computer Management:Disk Management. Right click on
    > > > your Drive and designate the new letter. You have to name one of the drives
    > > > to a letter beyond the present existing drive letters (e.g. C to H), reboot,
    > > > move another drive (e.g. F to C) reboot, and finally rename the drive the
    > > > last drive.
    > > >
    > > > Search the forum, recently someone answered the same question.
    > > >
    > > > By the way, seriously consider having only the OS and program files on the
    > > > boot partition and all documets and media on other partitions or drives. If
    > > > XP has to be reinstalled and the boot partition reformatted all of the other
    > > > data on your computer will be safe.

    In article <34A0D890-8897-49EF-A951-A1BB4D7A3518@microsoft.com>, niel
    says...
    > Currently my primary drive is lettered f:. My slave is lettered c: I tried
    > to use disk management, but the drive lettered c: contains a page file and
    > cannot be relettered. The system won't allow the f: drive to be changed. I
    > want to swap c for f and vice versa.

    Format and reinstall.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

    Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, when I wouldboot from f, remove page
    file from c and change the file letter, then reboot from the new letter, the
    system would change the f drive to c, but would change the c back to f when
    rebooting from the f drive. I guess the boot partion must be on the c drive
    which was the original drive until I made the f drive the master. By the
    way, I reviewed the Setup and Deployment section to find out how to make my c
    drive the program drive and the f drive the file storage drive, but couldn't
    find any instructions. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
    --
    Thanks, niel

    "Arne" wrote:

    > Search Windows XP Setup and Deployment
    >
    > "Arne" wrote:
    >
    > > You can remove the paging file from the C: temporarily. Windows key
    > > Pause/Break to call up System Properties. Then Advanced and Virtual Memory.
    > > Use Administrative Tools:Computer Management:Disk Management. Right click on
    > > your Drive and designate the new letter. You have to name one of the drives
    > > to a letter beyond the present existing drive letters (e.g. C to H), reboot,
    > > move another drive (e.g. F to C) reboot, and finally rename the drive the
    > > last drive.
    > >
    > > Search the forum, recently someone answered the same question.
    > >
    > > By the way, seriously consider having only the OS and program files on the
    > > boot partition and all documets and media on other partitions or drives. If
    > > XP has to be reinstalled and the boot partition reformatted all of the other
    > > data on your computer will be safe.
    > >
    > > "niel" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Currently my primary drive is lettered f:. My slave is lettered c: I tried
    > > > to use disk management, but the drive lettered c: contains a page file and
    > > > cannot be relettered. The system won't allow the f: drive to be changed. I
    > > > want to swap c for f and vice versa.
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks, niel

Disk Management Microsoft Windows XP