search assistant, indexing, directories & catalogues

Paul

Splendid
Mar 30, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi everyone,
I've been reading up lately about the search assistant, indexing, directories & catalogues etc and
now I am more lost than ever! I'm generally pretty good at finding my way around a computer but this
time I'm going to ask for help...
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! :p

I want to locate the file "GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe" (C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware) as a
test and I can't... Grrrr! I have managed to locate "giantsquid_sm[1].jpg" :p that I have in a
Temporary Internet Files folder, but no exe file. I am using the search string: "@filename giant*"
in the search field: "A word or phrase in the file", I am running WinXP HOME.

I suppose what I am asking is how do I OPTIMALLY setup my indexing service to index EVERY file,
their file names, their extensions, their text etc etc etc on my HDD. I want to be able to search
for absolutely anything.

ANY help is very much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Create this registry file and run it to change the default search behavior. Search will usually only look for text inside of files
with a registered filetype association

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*] @="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
"Paul" <palomarsun(REMOVETHIS)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4304ddcb@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Hi everyone,
> I've been reading up lately about the search assistant, indexing, directories & catalogues etc and
> now I am more lost than ever! I'm generally pretty good at finding my way around a computer but this
> time I'm going to ask for help...
> heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! :p
>
> I want to locate the file "GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe" (C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware) as a
> test and I can't... Grrrr! I have managed to locate "giantsquid_sm[1].jpg" :p that I have in a
> Temporary Internet Files folder, but no exe file. I am using the search string: "@filename giant*"
> in the search field: "A word or phrase in the file", I am running WinXP HOME.
>
> I suppose what I am asking is how do I OPTIMALLY setup my indexing service to index EVERY file,
> their file names, their extensions, their text etc etc etc on my HDD. I want to be able to search
> for absolutely anything.
>
> ANY help is very much appreciated.
> Thanks in anticipation.
>