sporadic wireless connection

jacob

i have windows xp pro
and an ibm thinkpad t40 (2373) with an internal wireless card
i am having the problem of sporadically connecting wifi. sometimes i
connect and it is fine, but most of the time i can send packets but
not recive them. sometimes i can send and recive but not get online,
and sometimes everything works for a while and then stops. i am
hopping onto my neighbors signal, but at work i have the same thing
connecting to our WiFi.
any thoughts?
thanks
jacob

jacobkasper@yahoo.com (jacob) wrote in

> i have windows xp pro
> and an ibm thinkpad t40 (2373) with an internal wireless card
> i am having the problem of sporadically connecting wifi. sometimes i
> connect and it is fine, but most of the time i can send packets but
> not recive them. sometimes i can send and recive but not get online,
> and sometimes everything works for a while and then stops. i am
> hopping onto my neighbors signal, but at work i have the same thing
> connecting to our WiFi.
> any thoughts?
> thanks
> jacob

It sounds like the Wireless Zero Configuration Service. WZCS allows the
O/S with the wireless NIC to seek out other wireless networks in the area
and try's to connect to them, dropping your connection. It can cause some
other issues that you're having with the connection as well. I think I
read about the ThinkPad with internal wireless NIC and WZCS issues. You
can search Google on that.

But in the meantime, you can disable the WZCS to see if that clears the
issues and makes the connection stable.

You can also use Device Manager to reinstall the card's driver and
configure the wireless NIC there as well, which may help to make it
stable.

Also, you can go to the NIC's Network Properties screen and enable *show
icon when connected". The icon will show in the system clock area. You
can mouse over the Icon and it will show the signal strength. If the card
has its own utility for configuration and show signal strength, then it's
not needed.

Duane :)

I have some weird problem recently as well. from time to time (~ 2
minutes), I heard the HD is reading and the IE is sort of refresh
(like shaking a bit) then my TV-Turner drops its audio. I am not sure
is this due to WZService or not since it is in AUTO and restart mode.
I have tried turn it off, then my connection is no longer working.

Anyone might have similar problem recently (after Windows updates).

XP with Airlink USB wireless to Netgear MR814 router.

TRENDING THREADS