2 errors, i can't seem to run txt, or links from a program.

Gorf

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

If i am in a program and i click a link i get error cannot open and the info
to the webpage it was linked to doesn't even try to open ie...
second if i double click on a text file i get error "filename" the archive
is either in unknow format or damaged, i can read the file if i use open
with, but i have never had to do it that way befor.

thanks gary

Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
button.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"gorf" <gorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55818804-4083-4354-A5AD-A2BA420D7BA5@microsoft.com...
> If i am in a program and i click a link i get error cannot open and the info
> to the webpage it was linked to doesn't even try to open ie...
> second if i double click on a text file i get error "filename" the archive
> is either in unknow format or damaged, i can read the file if i use open
> with, but i have never had to do it that way befor.
>
> thanks gary

Gorf

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Thanks that worked for links...
But i still can't seem to load text or help file i click on the ? for help
in a program or if i double click a txt file, i get the error - error
"filename" the archive
is either in unknow format or damaged

Thanks gary

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
> button.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "gorf" <gorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55818804-4083-4354-A5AD-A2BA420D7BA5@microsoft.com...
> > If i am in a program and i click a link i get error cannot open and the info
> > to the webpage it was linked to doesn't even try to open ie...
> > second if i double click on a text file i get error "filename" the archive
> > is either in unknow format or damaged, i can read the file if i use open
> > with, but i have never had to do it that way befor.
> >
> > thanks gary

When you use OpenWith, there is a checkbox to "'Always Use This..."

Try this site to fix the help:

Reinstalling Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"gorf" <gorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6307E0F5-315A-42EC-BBF8-D8F95533C856@microsoft.com...
> Thanks that worked for links...
> But i still can't seem to load text or help file i click on the ? for help
> in a program or if i double click a txt file, i get the error - error
> "filename" the archive
> is either in unknow format or damaged
>
> Thanks gary
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
>> button.
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "gorf" <gorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55818804-4083-4354-A5AD-A2BA420D7BA5@microsoft.com...
>> > If i am in a program and i click a link i get error cannot open and the info
>> > to the webpage it was linked to doesn't even try to open ie...
>> > second if i double click on a text file i get error "filename" the archive
>> > is either in unknow format or damaged, i can read the file if i use open
>> > with, but i have never had to do it that way befor.
>> >
>> > thanks gary

Gorf

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

I tryed the fix but no good the help support files don't seem to running, i
did all the steps to try the fix but sill doesn't seem to be running.. also
have another problem poping up if i am on my xp system and try to login to
the newsgroup i always get the message service temporary not available. so to
log into the newsgroup now i have to boot up my xp 64 system and i can get
here, have any suggestions?..

Gary

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> When you use OpenWith, there is a checkbox to "'Always Use This..."
>
> Try this site to fix the help:
>
> Reinstalling Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "gorf" <gorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6307E0F5-315A-42EC-BBF8-D8F95533C856@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks that worked for links...
> > But i still can't seem to load text or help file i click on the ? for help
> > in a program or if i double click a txt file, i get the error - error
> > "filename" the archive
> > is either in unknow format or damaged
> >
> > Thanks gary
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE, Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
> >> button.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

You haven't tried a repair?

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"gorf" <gorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3666D7C-57E2-4384-98B7-9784C898DBEF@microsoft.com...
>I tryed the fix but no good the help support files don't seem to running, i
> did all the steps to try the fix but sill doesn't seem to be running.. also
> have another problem poping up if i am on my xp system and try to login to
> the newsgroup i always get the message service temporary not available. so to
> log into the newsgroup now i have to boot up my xp 64 system and i can get
> here, have any suggestions?..
>
> Gary
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> When you use OpenWith, there is a checkbox to "'Always Use This..."
>>
>> Try this site to fix the help:
>>
>> Reinstalling Help and Support Center in Windows XP:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm
>>

>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "gorf" <gorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6307E0F5-315A-42EC-BBF8-D8F95533C856@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks that worked for links...
>> > But i still can't seem to load text or help file i click on the ? for help
>> > in a program or if i double click a txt file, i get the error - error
>> > "filename" the archive
>> > is either in unknow format or damaged
>> >
>> > Thanks gary

Gorf

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

IF you mean a windows repair, i haven't tryed that way yet was going to wait
till the last resort, i have done an xp repair only to find i had to
reinstall all my programs they were all still there but lost to windows could
have done a new install and got the same results if i knew widows wasn't
going to redo the reg's and wipe all the old stuff out didn't even save one
program... But if you think there is no other way i will try the repair.....

Thanks gary