Laptop and ATV

I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use
with my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to
make a cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks
these days are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
padding/dampening to prevent damage?

Kirk
7 answers Last reply
More about laptop

    'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:

    > I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
    > general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use
    > with my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to
    > make a cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks
    > these days are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
    > padding/dampening to prevent damage?

    The padding isn't gonna do much as far as protecting your hard drive
    from internal trauma... It'll just protect the system from scratches.

    Personally, I think you're looking for trouble.

    Notan

    just buy a handheld gps or a palm pilot with a gps module. Laptop is
    way too fragile to take on an ATV

    Wayne

    "'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
    > I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
    > general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use with
    > my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to make a
    > cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks these days
    > are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
    > padding/dampening to prevent damage?
    >
    > Kirk

    I would think that there are far more considerations than just having a
    padded pouch.
    You will be subjecting your laptop to significant G-forces, regardless of
    the padding. In addition, heat and humidity will be changing as you go from
    location to location. Dust and dirt will also be an issue, even in a well
    designed pouch (unless it is waterproof and airtight). These factors in and
    of themselves can damage or destroy even a well built laptop.
    While you are right in that many new hard drives are built to withstand more
    "abuse" than older drives, this protection is very limited and only under
    specific conditions.
    With the kind of forces you will be subjecting your laptop to, I would
    expect than any laptop would have a relatively short lifespan. Components of
    the motherboard will suffer the most...internal connections that depend on
    friction will also be affected.
    My advice? buy a GPS unit that is designed for the use you stated. There
    are many out there. They are designed for the kind of abuse that
    off-roading and trial riding can deliver.

    Bobby

    wayne wrote:
    > just buy a handheld gps or a palm pilot with a gps module. Laptop is
    > way too fragile to take on an ATV
    >
    > Wayne

    I definitely agree; avoid moving parts (eg. HDD's) as much as possible
    when in bumpy situations.

    you will need a dampening field around the hard drive to protect it.

    Notan said the following on 6/11/2005 1:09 PM:
    > 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:
    >
    >>I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
    >>general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use
    >>with my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to
    >>make a cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks
    >>these days are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
    >>padding/dampening to prevent damage?
    >

    > The padding isn't gonna do much as far as protecting your hard drive
    > from internal trauma... It'll just protect the system from scratches.
    >
    > Personally, I think you're looking for trouble.
    >
    > Notan

    The unit will be off. I see it as no worse than bouncing on your truck
    seat on a bumpy road. Think that would kill your drive? I don't. When
    off the heads are parked off the platter locked down.

    Kirk

    Generally this applies to most laptops. There is one option that you
    might consider, a milspec Tough Book. As far as I know these are the most
    durable laptops available, with a price to match, <sigh>. A number of
    outdoor enthusiast are using them in some pretty rugged environments,
    orienteering, small craft open ocean sailing, etc. It goes without saying
    that they are in use by the military to include the Airborne and special ops
    communities. Size wise, they are bigger than a handheld but smaller than
    most laptops.

    KC

    "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > wayne wrote:
    > > just buy a handheld gps or a palm pilot with a gps module. Laptop is
    > > way too fragile to take on an ATV
    > >
    > > Wayne
    >
    > I definitely agree; avoid moving parts (eg. HDD's) as much as possible
    > when in bumpy situations.

Dell Laptops Computers