Your question
Closed

Need help deciding on waiting for haswell ultrabooks

Tags:
  • Ultrabooks
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
February 24, 2013 6:10:28 PM

I am somewhat torn on purchasing an ultrabook now or waiting for haswell. My two choices for ultabooks are Samsung series 9 or Asus Zenbook ux51vz.

The primary use for them is programing.

Any idea on this? I am thinking haswell will not be mature in at least a year afer release and no good ultrabooks released right of the start. I am spending a bit more on the laptops above so i think i will not be that far behind in specs for some time.

Thanks.

More about : deciding waiting haswell ultrabooks

Best solution

a b D Laptop
February 25, 2013 11:27:27 PM

Haswell is supposed to be released later in 2013, but I wouldn't buy for at least 2-3 months after release.
The specs on the machines are spectacular, Haswell is supposed to become more power efficient, and one of the prerequisites for Haswell ultrabooks is going to be a touchscreen (they're trying to push the convertible notebook/tablet idea)
Personally, I'd go ahead and get the Zenbook, I've been rendering/programming on a 720qm for a few years- still works fine.

The main advantages of Haswell is going to be power efficiency. If 3% more battery life is all that more important to you- I'd wait.
a c 467 D Laptop
February 25, 2013 11:48:04 PM

Well... Haswell will not make you a better programmer and I don't see how you will benefit from waiting for Haswell over Ivy Bridge based on what you posted.
Score
February 26, 2013 12:55:51 AM

That's what I thought guys. Going to go with the Zenbook. Thanks.
Score
March 7, 2013 11:06:38 PM

Best answer selected by zx10r.
Score
a c 244 D Laptop
March 8, 2013 6:12:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!