I have a problem that was solved last fall by Wes Vogel.for Mari-Anne.
Lately when I startup my computer (Windows XP Home SP2), I get a msg that
there was a problem in trying to start and it gave choices on starting:
Normal, Last good config, or Safe (with various options). I can choose to
start in "safe mode" and it does starts satisfactorily into safe mode.. Once
open in "safe mode" I go to "Restart" and that results in successful start
into a normal Windows. But this is an awkward way to start Windows.
I did all the things Wes said to do. I Checked “boot.ini� which Wes said
should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect

Mine was the same except for the following: "timeout=30". So I changed it to
"timeout=5".
And the two places where Wes had "WINNT" I had "WINDOWS". I didn't know if
that meant Windows NT or not, so I didn't change it.
The next time I started my computer it started OK, but the next time it
acted as before. i.e, didn‘t open in normal Windows.
I did "Check All Boot Paths" and got a msg that "It appears all BOOT. INI
lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK.
I also went to system properties and looked at "Startup and recovery/System
startup/Default operating systems" the time delays were both at "30". I
changed the one to display list of operating systems to "5" but haven't
changed the other one.
Bob

What was the error message?

Windows can be installed on WINNT or Windows.

Here's a better sample boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
Home Edition" /fastdetect

System Properties | Advanced tab | Settings button under Startup and
Recovery |
Startup and Recovery

Time to display list of operating systems
[[Specifies how much time will elapse at startup before the default
operating system starts automatically. Type the number of seconds in the
list, or click the arrows to select the time.]]

Time to display list of operating systems doesn't even enter into the
equation unless you have more than one operating system. And apparently you
do not have more than one if your boot.ini was similar to the one you
posted.

Time to display recovery options when needed refers to when you try to get
into Safe Mode or some other option in the Windows Advanced Options Menu.
I.e. tapping the F8 key at boot. If you make no selection before the time
period ends, whatever is highlighted when the menu opens is how Windows is
automatically started. You may want a longer time than 5, 30 is good if you
aren't paying attention, gives you a little longer to find the correct arrow
key to move up or down to make a selection. These values are in seconds.

Have you tried using the up or down arrow keys to move the highlight to
Start Windows Normally and then hitting your Enter key?

Picture of Windows Advanced Options Menu here...
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/img/gif_wxp/wxpsec15.gif

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:07FAA354-3CB9-45B3-98C2-FFA28FAEF47F@microsoft.com,
NV Bob <NV Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have a problem that was solved last fall by Wes Vogel.for Mari-Anne.
> Lately when I startup my computer (Windows XP Home SP2), I get a msg that
> there was a problem in trying to start and it gave choices on starting:
> Normal, Last good config, or Safe (with various options). I can choose to
> start in "safe mode" and it does starts satisfactorily into safe mode..
> Once open in "safe mode" I go to "Restart" and that results in successful
> start into a normal Windows. But this is an awkward way to start Windows.
> I did all the things Wes said to do. I Checked “boot.ini� which Wes
> said should look like this:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=5
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect
>
> Mine was the same except for the following: "timeout=30". So I changed it
> to "timeout=5".
> And the two places where Wes had "WINNT" I had "WINDOWS". I didn't know if
> that meant Windows NT or not, so I didn't change it.
> The next time I started my computer it started OK, but the next time it
> acted as before. i.e, didn‘t open in normal Windows.
> I did "Check All Boot Paths" and got a msg that "It appears all BOOT. INI
> lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK.
> I also went to system properties and looked at "Startup and
> recovery/System startup/Default operating systems" the time delays were
> both at "30". I changed the one to display list of operating systems to
> "5" but haven't changed the other one.
> Bob

8/19/2005
The problem is intermittent but almost all the time it doesn’t start
properly. This morning it started OK but the next time I tried it did not.

The msg I get says “We are sorry for the inconvenience but Windows did not
start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused
this�
Then “If your computer stopped responding .etc. choose Last Know Good
Configuration.
“If your startup was interrupted, choose Start Widows normally�
Then there are the following starting options:(somewhat similar to the
“Windows Advanced Options Menu)

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Know Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

I have tried different options including “Start Windows Normally�.
The successful one is Safe Mode. This works and when I’m in “Safe Mode� I go
to "Restart" and that gets me into Normal Windows

My boot.ini is identical to your sample except I have “/NoExecute=Optin� added

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> > Edition" /fastdetect
> >
> > Mine was the same except for the following: "timeout=30". So I changed it
> > to "timeout=5".
> > And the two places where Wes had "WINNT" I had "WINDOWS". I didn't know if
> > that meant Windows NT or not, so I didn't change it.
> > The next time I started my computer it started OK, but the next time it
> > acted as before. i.e, didn‘t open in normal Windows.
> > I did "Check All Boot Paths" and got a msg that "It appears all BOOT. INI
> > lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK.
> > I also went to system properties and looked at "Startup and
> > recovery/System startup/Default operating systems" the time delays were
> > both at "30". I changed the one to display list of operating systems to

Bob,

/NoExecute=Optin switch was added by XP SP2.

Did you add any new hardware or software right before this started
happening?

Have you tried the Last Known Good Configuration in the Windows Advanced
Options Menu?

Are there any errors in the Event Viewer that might be related to the
problem? Look under Application and System, don't worry about Security.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | Clcik OK

For any Events that seem related to the problem...

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Also click on:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful
-----

Can you use System Restore to restore to before this started happening?

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084/

Here are some other troubleshooting articles...

How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322205

Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310126

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041/

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:371FFD7E-B12B-4253-84D0-A06A8607D918@microsoft.com,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> you do not have more than one if your boot.ini was similar to the one you
> >> posted.
> >>
> >> Time to display recovery options when needed refers to when you try to
> >> get into Safe Mode or some other option in the Windows Advanced Options
> >> Menu. I.e. tapping the F8 key at boot. If you make no selection before
> >> the time period ends, whatever is highlighted when the menu opens is how
> >> Windows is automatically started. You may want a longer time than 5, 30
> >> is good if you aren't paying attention, gives you a little longer to
> >> find the correct arrow key to move up or down to make a selection.
> >> These values are in seconds.
> >>
> >> Have you tried using the up or down arrow keys to move the highlight to
> >> Start Windows Normally and then hitting your Enter key?
> >>
> >> Picture of Windows Advanced Options Menu here...

Got a few similar error or warning events. Somewere:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to
start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed
to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD Networking Support
Environment service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD Network0ing Support
Environment service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
he DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which
failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which
failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
Avg7Core
Avg7RsW
Avg7RsXP
BANTExt
Cinemsup
Fips
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
Tcpip
WS2IFSL
Warning
8/15/2005 10:31:05 AM User N/A Source Tcpip
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent
TCP connect attempts.
There were alot like the following.
Applications
8/19/2005 12:44:07 PM User NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Source Userenv
Windows saved user BOB\User Bob registry while an application or service was
still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's
registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no
longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring
the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService
account.tkanks for you help, I'll keep trying to solve it.
Bob