I'm running an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe M/B, P-4 3.2 Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro,
and had 1Gb DDRAM in two 512 modules. I installed two more 512 modules for a
total of 2Gb and now the machine seems to be running slower, as in takes a long
time for individual windows to open, or for programs to launch. The original
modules are about a year-and-a-half old, and are PC3200. The two new modules,
which I bought a month or so ago, are also PC3200 and I was told by Kingston,
the mfg, that they should work alright with the older (non-Kingston) modules. I
don't know if I should buy another pair of Kingston so all four modules are the
same, or if I could be having some other difficulty. Is 2Gb too much RAM? Does
Windows XP have a limit? I do notice physically that although both old and new
modules are 512Mb and PC3200, that the older ones have chips on both sides of
the card, but the newer modules only have chips on one side. What would this
mean? Thanks for any info.

You caught the problem,the 2 sided memory modules will run diffrent than
the newer 1 sided,either return 1 sided get 2,or get 2 more single.Xp has
a max of 3gb

"rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:

> I'm running an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe M/B, P-4 3.2 Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro,
> and had 1Gb DDRAM in two 512 modules. I installed two more 512 modules for a
> total of 2Gb and now the machine seems to be running slower, as in takes a long
> time for individual windows to open, or for programs to launch. The original
> modules are about a year-and-a-half old, and are PC3200. The two new modules,
> which I bought a month or so ago, are also PC3200 and I was told by Kingston,
> the mfg, that they should work alright with the older (non-Kingston) modules. I
> don't know if I should buy another pair of Kingston so all four modules are the
> same, or if I could be having some other difficulty. Is 2Gb too much RAM? Does
> Windows XP have a limit? I do notice physically that although both old and new
> modules are 512Mb and PC3200, that the older ones have chips on both sides of
> the card, but the newer modules only have chips on one side. What would this
> mean? Thanks for any info.

Okay, thanks. I wondered about that. But before I spend the money on two
additional modules, can you tell me anyting about these two issues someone told
me about in another group I posted to? A lot of the stiff is over my head, but I
seem to be reading that WIndows XP can't handle 2Gb of memory.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274598
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555223

> You caught the problem,the 2 sided memory modules will run diffrent than
> the newer 1 sided,either return 1 sided get 2,or get 2 more single.Xp has
> a max of 3gb
>
>"rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:
>
>> I'm running an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe M/B, P-4 3.2 Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro,
>> and had 1Gb DDRAM in two 512 modules. I installed two more 512 modules for a
>> total of 2Gb and now the machine seems to be running slower, as in takes a long
>> time for individual windows to open, or for programs to launch. The original
>> modules are about a year-and-a-half old, and are PC3200. The two new modules,
>> which I bought a month or so ago, are also PC3200 and I was told by Kingston,
>> the mfg, that they should work alright with the older (non-Kingston) modules. I
>> don't know if I should buy another pair of Kingston so all four modules are the
>> same, or if I could be having some other difficulty. Is 2Gb too much RAM? Does
>> Windows XP have a limit? I do notice physically that although both old and new
>> modules are 512Mb and PC3200, that the older ones have chips on both sides of
>> the card, but the newer modules only have chips on one side. What would this
>> mean? Thanks for any info.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Who said XP has a max of 3Gb? Many people run it with 4Gb.

> You caught the problem,the 2 sided memory modules will run diffrent than
> the newer 1 sided,either return 1 sided get 2,or get 2 more single.Xp has
> a max of 3gb
>
> "rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:
>
>> I'm running an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe M/B, P-4 3.2 Ghz processor, Windows XP
>> Pro,
>> and had 1Gb DDRAM in two 512 modules. I installed two more 512 modules
>> for a
>> total of 2Gb and now the machine seems to be running slower, as in takes
>> a long
>> time for individual windows to open, or for programs to launch. The
>> original
>> modules are about a year-and-a-half old, and are PC3200. The two new
>> modules,
>> which I bought a month or so ago, are also PC3200 and I was told by
>> Kingston,
>> the mfg, that they should work alright with the older (non-Kingston)
>> modules. I
>> don't know if I should buy another pair of Kingston so all four modules
>> are the
>> same, or if I could be having some other difficulty. Is 2Gb too much RAM?
>> Does
>> Windows XP have a limit? I do notice physically that although both old
>> and new
>> modules are 512Mb and PC3200, that the older ones have chips on both
>> sides of
>> the card, but the newer modules only have chips on one side. What would
>> this
>> mean? Thanks for any info.

I am not the best at the computer thing but no one will tell me what i need
to know about adding more ram. will you please help me?

"rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:

> Okay, thanks. I wondered about that. But before I spend the money on two
> additional modules, can you tell me anyting about these two issues someone told
> me about in another group I posted to? A lot of the stiff is over my head, but I
> seem to be reading that WIndows XP can't handle 2Gb of memory.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274598
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555223
>

> > You caught the problem,the 2 sided memory modules will run diffrent than
> > the newer 1 sided,either return 1 sided get 2,or get 2 more single.Xp has
> > a max of 3gb
> >
> >"rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe M/B, P-4 3.2 Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro,
> >> and had 1Gb DDRAM in two 512 modules. I installed two more 512 modules for a
> >> total of 2Gb and now the machine seems to be running slower, as in takes a long
> >> time for individual windows to open, or for programs to launch. The original
> >> modules are about a year-and-a-half old, and are PC3200. The two new modules,
> >> which I bought a month or so ago, are also PC3200 and I was told by Kingston,
> >> the mfg, that they should work alright with the older (non-Kingston) modules. I
> >> don't know if I should buy another pair of Kingston so all four modules are the
> >> same, or if I could be having some other difficulty. Is 2Gb too much RAM? Does
> >> Windows XP have a limit? I do notice physically that although both old and new
> >> modules are 512Mb and PC3200, that the older ones have chips on both sides of
> >> the card, but the newer modules only have chips on one side. What would this
> >> mean? Thanks for any info.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

It really depends on your motherboard and how much it will support.
Different motherboards will support different amounts of ram. XP itself
supports up to 4gb.