Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

POLL: How many good games must a system have ????????

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 19, 2005 1:37:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??

The reason I ask you this, is because I've been trying to "warm up" to
the Nintendo 64 (I bought two more systems today). I played RAT ATTACK
and WOW WHAT A GREAT GAME this is. VERY OLD SCHOOL in much the same way
that FLICKY was!

Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:

The "Crusin'" series
MACE
Rat Attack

That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?

More about : poll good games system

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 19, 2005 8:56:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

> How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??

One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.

jt
- still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.
April 19, 2005 9:01:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote in news:starsabre-748FC1.23584118042005
@netnews.worldnet.att.net:

> In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
>
> One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.
>
> jt
> - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.
>

ICO?
God of War?
Katamari Damacy?

Or are you talking about an IBM PC with a ps/2 port? :D 

I personally only buy systems if the system is cheap, if there is one
absolutely fantastic game, or if there are 5 or so very good games. Even if
no single colecovision game really catches my eye, I own the system because
it only cost me $20. I own a NUON because Tempest 3000 is absolutely
amazing. And I'm getting a ps2 because of God of War, Katamari Damacy, ICO,
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 19, 2005 3:08:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
>
> The "Crusin'" series
> MACE
> Rat Attack
>
> That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?

Yes, MACE.. perhaps one of the best fighting games ever. Second only to
possibly Kasumi Ninja or perhaps War Gods.

And it still surprises me how deep the Cruisin' series is. They're the
type of games that you can literally play for YEARS and never truly
master them. To this day I don't understand why games like GT4 and such
get so much attention when far superior games such as Cruisin' World
got such little fanfare.

You've managed to list what I believe is in every N64ers 'must have'
collection. Even though there was the odd bomb like those bad movie
ports (Superman and Goldeneye) there were some real gems like Rat
Attack. I really pity all the people who skipped the N64 in favor of
PS2s or DCs. They didn't know what they were missing!

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 19, 2005 3:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message
news:starsabre-748FC1.23584118042005@netnews.worldnet.att.net...
> In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
>
> One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.

I agree--with a corollary. For me to purchase a modern system, there has to
be at least one good game AND the confirmation (not just promises) of more
good games on the way.

> jt
> - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

I love it how people (especially classic gaming enthusiasts) repeat this
claim like a mantra. Not to single you out, jt, but I think you're the
third or fourth person to say this recently on r.g.v.c....and I just don't
believe it.

If you like classic games, there are numerous remakes and even exact
emulated versions of your old favorites. With just five $19
games--Activision Anthology, Atari Anthology, Namco Museum, and Midway's
Arcade Treasures 1 and 2--you could own a lion's share of classic
videogames. If you like what everyone else likes, there are plenty of
cross-platform titles and fun (if unoriginal) games. If you want something
new and unusual,there are plenty of games--Amplitude, Cookies & Cream,
Frequency, Dogs Life, ICO, Katamari Damacy, Rez, Karaoke Revolution,
Metropolismania, Siren, Stretch Panic, Technicbeat, Mark of Kri, Gitaroo
Man, Mister Mosquito, Eye Toy--that aren't like anything you've played
before.

There are more than enough reasons to own a PS2 (or a GameCube or an Xbox).
Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, and Genesis fans should get over
their irrational hatred of modern systems--all they are doing is missing out
on a lot of great experiences. If they can't find a single game on the PS2
that interests them, then: a) they aren't looking hard enough, b) they want
to be "fashionable" by hating modern systems, and/or c) they no longer enjoy
videogames in general.

I'd suggest you post a list of your 10-20 favorite games, on any system, and
I'm willing to bet that we can come up with a PS2 game that is similar (or
even better) for almost all of them. Or name your favorite genre, and we
can come up with a bunch of PS2 titles that are probably the best examples
of that genre.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 19, 2005 6:49:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <starsabre-748FC1.23584118042005@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote:
>- still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

For me, that'd be, uh, GTA [III | VC | SA], Katamari Damacy, and now,
embarassingly, Lego Star Wars, which is repulsively cute but really
really fun. Hmmm. Kinda like Katamari Damacy if you think about it.

Adam
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 2:12:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august wrote:
> In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
>
> One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.
>
> jt
> - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

I think I understand what you're saying. If it has just ONE game that
you like to play that is exclusive to the system, you can think of (the
system) as a stand alone ARCADE machine, right?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 2:32:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Dane L. Galden at at wrote:
> I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
want on
> Gamecube.
>
> Dane.
>

BWA HA HA... what the hell are you wasting time posting here for, Dane
you should be a comedian LOL!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 2:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
> > Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
> >
> > The "Crusin'" series
> > MACE
> > Rat Attack
> >
> > That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?
>
> Yes, MACE.. perhaps one of the best fighting games ever. Second only
to
> possibly Kasumi Ninja or perhaps War Gods.

I have a MACE arcade machine close to my house, so I play both. Kasumi
Ninja is great but the control could be better don't you think?

>
> And it still surprises me how deep the Cruisin' series is. They're
the
> type of games that you can literally play for YEARS and never truly
> master them. To this day I don't understand why games like GT4 and
such
> get so much attention when far superior games such as Cruisin' World
> got such little fanfare.

Sadly, it's because the PS2 is so popular. Had GT4 come out on Xbox,
the numbers just wouldn't be there :( 

>
> You've managed to list what I believe is in every N64ers 'must have'
> collection. Even though there was the odd bomb like those bad movie
> ports (Superman and Goldeneye) there were some real gems like Rat
> Attack. I really pity all the people who skipped the N64 in favor of
> PS2s or DCs. They didn't know what they were missing!
>

Well I'm picking up N64's left and right from the thrifts, so at the
price now, there's not really an excuse not to have one. I'm just now
finding some games that I can really bond with. I have like over 60
games I think though.. just haven't played them all.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 6:33:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I want on
Gamecube. I'll get a PS2 when I find one for cheap. :) 

Dane.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:fNOdnRwudrZo1vjfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
>
> "jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message
> news:starsabre-748FC1.23584118042005@netnews.worldnet.att.net...
> > In article <1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> > "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
> >
> > One. If you like a game, the system it is on is worth owning.
>
> I agree--with a corollary. For me to purchase a modern system, there has
to
> be at least one good game AND the confirmation (not just promises) of more
> good games on the way.
>
> > jt
> > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.
>
> I love it how people (especially classic gaming enthusiasts) repeat this
> claim like a mantra. Not to single you out, jt, but I think you're the
> third or fourth person to say this recently on r.g.v.c....and I just don't
> believe it.
>
> If you like classic games, there are numerous remakes and even exact
> emulated versions of your old favorites. With just five $19
> games--Activision Anthology, Atari Anthology, Namco Museum, and Midway's
> Arcade Treasures 1 and 2--you could own a lion's share of classic
> videogames. If you like what everyone else likes, there are plenty of
> cross-platform titles and fun (if unoriginal) games. If you want
something
> new and unusual,there are plenty of games--Amplitude, Cookies & Cream,
> Frequency, Dogs Life, ICO, Katamari Damacy, Rez, Karaoke Revolution,
> Metropolismania, Siren, Stretch Panic, Technicbeat, Mark of Kri, Gitaroo
> Man, Mister Mosquito, Eye Toy--that aren't like anything you've played
> before.
>
> There are more than enough reasons to own a PS2 (or a GameCube or an
Xbox).
> Atari, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, and Genesis fans should get over
> their irrational hatred of modern systems--all they are doing is missing
out
> on a lot of great experiences. If they can't find a single game on the PS2
> that interests them, then: a) they aren't looking hard enough, b) they
want
> to be "fashionable" by hating modern systems, and/or c) they no longer
enjoy
> videogames in general.
>
> I'd suggest you post a list of your 10-20 favorite games, on any system,
and
> I'm willing to bet that we can come up with a PS2 game that is similar (or
> even better) for almost all of them. Or name your favorite genre, and we
> can come up with a bunch of PS2 titles that are probably the best examples
> of that genre.
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 8:32:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <fNOdnRwudrZo1vjfRVn-uA@comcast.com>,
"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

> > jt
> > - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.
>
> I love it how people (especially classic gaming enthusiasts) repeat this
> claim like a mantra. Not to single you out, jt, but I think you're the
> third or fourth person to say this recently on r.g.v.c....and I just don't
> believe it.
>
> If you like classic games, there are numerous remakes and even exact
> emulated versions of your old favorites. With just five $19
> games--Activision Anthology, Atari Anthology, Namco Museum, and Midway's
> Arcade Treasures 1 and 2--you could own a lion's share of classic
> videogames. If you like what everyone else likes, there are plenty of
> cross-platform titles and fun (if unoriginal) games. If you want something
> new and unusual,there are plenty of games--Amplitude, Cookies & Cream,
> Frequency, Dogs Life, ICO, Katamari Damacy, Rez, Karaoke Revolution,
> Metropolismania, Siren, Stretch Panic, Technicbeat, Mark of Kri, Gitaroo
> Man, Mister Mosquito, Eye Toy--that aren't like anything you've played
> before.
>
> There are more than enough reasons to own a PS2 (or a GameCube or an Xbox).

I guess you are not so familiar with me. I have systems up through and
including the Game Cube, and the X-Box is my targeted next console. I
have - I believe - every handheld system up through the first gen
Gameboy Advance (including the Supervision).

Since I do have the GC and will soon get an XB, I need a ps/2 only title
worthy enough to justify risking the high lemon mortality rate the ps/2
is reknown for. I, specifically, do not hate the contemporary systems.
I am a video game collector, past, present and proto. I just don't
trust the track record of the ps/2 hardware.

jt
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 9:21:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

The Space Boss wrote:
> How many good games must a system have to make it worth
> owning??
>
> The reason I ask you this, is because I've been trying to "warm
> up" to the Nintendo 64 (I bought two more systems today). I
> played RAT ATTACK and WOW WHAT A GREAT GAME this is. VERY OLD
> SCHOOL in much the same way that FLICKY was!

Is it really? I fired that up on Xbox through emulation the other
day. The first few levels seemed a bit tedious. Does it get better?

>
> Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
>
> The "Crusin'" series MACE Rat Attack
>
> That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?

Oh, man, N64 has some legendary games:

Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Conker: BFD
Banjo-Kazooie
Pokemon Puzzle League
Mario Tennis
Mario64
Turok
Zelda: OoT

--crymad
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 9:24:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august wrote:

>
> jt - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

Siren. Even though it's terribly flawed and requires a walkthru
to complete, Siren thrilled me.

--crymad
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 9:33:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august wrote:
> Since I do have the GC and will soon get an XB, I need a ps/2
> only title worthy enough to justify risking the high lemon
> mortality rate the ps/2 is reknown for. I, specifically, do
> not hate the contemporary systems. I am a video game collector,
> past, present and proto. I just don't trust the track record
> of the ps/2 hardware.

Don't let the shoddy construction of PS2's dissuade you from
acquiring one. Even if the unit eventually gives out and you get
Disc Read Errors, Sony is obligated to repair them. The only cost
you'll incur is shipping it to Sony, about $10. You don't need a
receipt. You don't need to be under warranty. You don't have to
be the original owner. Your PS2 doesn't even need to bear the "Do
Not Remove" tamper-detection sticker on the underside. This is
the real deal -- I did my nephew's, and it took about 2 weeks
total. There's an faq on the process at gamefaqs.com for those
interested, under the PS2 hardware section.

--crymad
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 9:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> I have a MACE arcade machine close to my house, so I play both.
Kasumi
> Ninja is great but the control could be better don't you think?

I don't know, although I think it lacks the response of say .. Ultra
Vortek, Kasumi has a very tight control scheme. I think the controls
were part of the overall design to force you to 'master' the characters
and game thus making you a better player. I heard of a Kasumi Ninja
club somewhere once, where the better players had logged something like
50 hours with each character to really get any depth with them.

Oh and you're lucky to have a MACE so close! My favorite fighter --
capcoms excellent Star Gladiator -- is at a 7-11 down the street from
me. I think i've put enough coin in that to pay for it by now!

> >
> > And it still surprises me how deep the Cruisin' series is. They're
> the
> > type of games that you can literally play for YEARS and never truly
> > master them. To this day I don't understand why games like GT4 and
> such
> > get so much attention when far superior games such as Cruisin'
World
> > got such little fanfare.
>
> Sadly, it's because the PS2 is so popular. Had GT4 come out on Xbox,
> the numbers just wouldn't be there :( 

You're probably right. With an installed base about 5% of what the 3DO
had, it amazes me why anyone bothers with the XBOX at all. With those
big controllers and all.. but I guess it has its fan. Of course people
will buy anything on the PS2, just look at how many copies they MGS3
they're going to sell -- that game is nowhere near as good as the
original Metal Gear from the N.E.S. I wonder why they didn't put the
original Metal Gear out in the arcades as is? With a printer you could
have printed out passwords, they'd have made a fortune!


> Well I'm picking up N64's left and right from the thrifts, so at the
> price now, there's not really an excuse not to have one. I'm just now
> finding some games that I can really bond with. I have like over 60
> games I think though.. just haven't played them all.

Don't forget about a couple of other gems, like Hexxen (Best FPS on the
system), Bio-Freaks or one of my all time favorites -- The Army Men
series. Especially Sarge's Heros 2.. that's like my favorite game of
the 90s!

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 10:39:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august wrote:
> - still waiting for a reason to own a ps/2.

Good lord, how could I have forgotten to mention this:

Klonoa: Lunatea's Veil -- platform puzzling in a fantasy
dreamscape that will mesmerize you.

Might as well add PS1's Klonoa: Door to Phantomile to that list
too, as it can be played on PS2. If I must say, it's the better
game of the two.

Looking forward to playing Klonoa: Empire of Dreams for GBA, via
emulation on Xbox, of course. Praise the mod scene!

--crymad
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 3:06:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in
news:Tbj9e.9591$sp3.2141@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
> want on Gamecube. I'll get a PS2 when I find one for cheap. :) 

I'm a little like that. If a game exists on more than one system,
I buy it on GameCube if all else is equal. Otherwise, I'll buy it
on X-Box. PS2 is my last resort, though I don't snub the system by any
stretch.


--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2005 3:13:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in
news:1113885471.945271.164720@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> How many good games must a system have to make it worth owning??
>
> The reason I ask you this, is because I've been trying to "warm up" to
> the Nintendo 64 (I bought two more systems today). I played RAT ATTACK
> and WOW WHAT A GREAT GAME this is. VERY OLD SCHOOL in much the same way
> that FLICKY was!
>
> Here is my list for the Nintendo 64 so far:
>
> The "Crusin'" series
> MACE
> Rat Attack
>
> That's all I can think of for now. What is your criteria?

Generally, I go by the "one game that justifies the cost of the system"
criteria. I was willing to pay $200 to play Zelda: OOT the day it came
out, though I knew that I'd be buying GoldenEye shortly thereafter. OTOH,
I'll also consider buying a system if there are a lot of "pretty good"
games and it's cheap enough.

With game systems, new or old, being under $200, I don't quibble over
justifying the purchase. If there's a game, it's worth buying a system
for.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 21, 2005 12:29:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1113975136.995701.158760@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
> Dane L. Galden at at wrote:
> > I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
> want on
> > Gamecube.
> >
> > Dane.
> >
>
> BWA HA HA... what the hell are you wasting time posting here for, Dane
> you should be a comedian LOL!
>

This from a guy who thinks MACE is a good fighting game?! Ha, ha. That's
one of the few games I actually traded in to get something else--and I
bought it for $3 at the flea market.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 21, 2005 1:23:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
> "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in
> news:Tbj9e.9591$sp3.2141@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
>
> > I haven't bought a PS2 yet because I can get (most of) the games I
> > want on Gamecube. I'll get a PS2 when I find one for cheap. :) 
>
> I'm a little like that. If a game exists on more than one system,
> I buy it on GameCube if all else is equal. Otherwise, I'll buy it
> on X-Box. PS2 is my last resort, though I don't snub the system by
any
> stretch.
>
>

I sometimes buy games for all three systems if I can get them used, IE:
I bought SOUL CALIBUR II for PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. There is
virtually no difference graphically between the PS2 and Xbox versions -
maybe with the exception of in the library, you can see the books just
a little clearer on the Xbox, but that's IT.

Right now in my gameroom downstairs I have been running the SNES and
Genesis side by side.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 21, 2005 3:06:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Was the N64 version of MACE "arcade perfect"?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 21, 2005 9:44:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

I'd say its close enough! I can't tell the difference!

What a great game!

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com
April 22, 2005 1:42:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> Even though there was the odd bomb like those bad movie
> ports (Superman and Goldeneye)

GoldenEye rocks and I assume you're posting in sarcasm.
April 22, 2005 1:47:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> Well I'm picking up N64's left and right from the thrifts, so at the
> price now, there's not really an excuse not to have one. I'm just now
> finding some games that I can really bond with. I have like over 60
> games I think though.. just haven't played them all.

Conker's Bad Fur day is a GREAT game. And another Rare game called Jetforce
Gemini looks to have great promise, though I have only played the first
level. You can't go wrong with the Zelda games either.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 24, 2005 12:10:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <1113973922.540719.27970@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

> I think I understand what you're saying. If it has just ONE game that
> you like to play that is exclusive to the system, you can think of (the
> system) as a stand alone ARCADE machine, right?

Maybe because I am tired, but that doesn't make sense. The reason I
don't go for a ps/2 is because I don't trust the hardware. There as
several good games, a few of which are Sony exclusives, but as I
previously posted, I have concerns about the longevity of the hardware.

jt
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 25, 2005 3:11:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

i own for the ps2 (thats all i got):
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
25 to Life
Activision Anthology
Alien Hominid
Armored Core 2
Armored Core 2: Another Age
Armored Core 3
Armored Core: Nexus (2 disc game)
all of the devil may cry games
SOUL CALIBUR II
blade 2
blood omen 1&2
all ps2 gundam games
half life
god of war
Burnout 3: Takedown
all new ea games
AND MANY MORE BUT I CANT LOOK FOR ALL OF THEM (too LAZY)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 4:22:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august wrote:
The reason I
> don't go for a ps/2 is because I don't trust the hardware. There as
> several good games, a few of which are Sony exclusives, but as I
> previously posted, I have concerns about the longevity of the
hardware.
>
> jt

JT, the answer to your problem is a simple one: purchase your PS2
at BEST BUY - and get the "warranty" they offer. If ANYTHING goes wrong
with your PS2, you just take it back to the store and they give you a
brand new one, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO HASSLES. I can vouch for them.
In fact, I purchased mine in late 2001 when it was still $299. By
the time I had problems with it reading DVD's (it was my only DVD
player for a long time), the price had dropped to $199 - SO... the way
they have it set up is that they give you a REFUND for your system, and
then charge you for a NEW one. That meant that I got $100 store credit,
AND a brand new playstation 2(which still works flawlessly all these
years later).

In fact, I don't think I'd ever buy a game system anyplace else but
Best Buy - you have TRUE PEACE OF MIND with that warranty let me tell
ya........
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 12:04:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <1114586571.722285.183670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

> JT, the answer to your problem is a simple one: purchase your PS2
> at BEST BUY - and get the "warranty" they offer. If ANYTHING goes wrong
> with your PS2, you just take it back to the store and they give you a
> brand new one, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO HASSLES. I can vouch for them.

So, to protect myself from Sony's willfully malignant engineering, I
need to spend more money up front?

Let's see, I have 61 computers, 58 game consoles, 12 handheld systems,
18 add-on systems (this is things line Sega CD and the 2600 adapters to
my 5200 and CV, and 31 pong clones. I got all my systems except my
first Sony psx, my SNES and my very first game, my O^2, used. The O^2
and spx were Christmas gifts, and the SNES I got the first Christmas it
was out for $108 due to a fluke local price war. But to protect me long
term, I need to buy a ps/2 new so that I can in turn give Best Buy more
money?

And then this warranty runs out in two years, but with so many consoles,
I don't use it enough to kill it for three years, by which time the p3
will be out and Sony won't repair dead ps/2's anymore anyway.

As a collector, I see this as a lose-lose scenario. I'll wait for the
ps/2 II to prove its reliability before I consider it, and then I will
acquire a working ps/2 Mk. I and - like my Sega CD1 - I will have it but
use the newer model for practical purposes.

jt
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 5:19:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in
news:1114586571.722285.183670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

>
> jt august wrote:
> The reason I
>> don't go for a ps/2 is because I don't trust the hardware. There as
>> several good games, a few of which are Sony exclusives, but as I
>> previously posted, I have concerns about the longevity of the
> hardware.
>>
>> jt
>
> JT, the answer to your problem is a simple one: purchase your PS2
> at BEST BUY - and get the "warranty" they offer. If ANYTHING goes
wrong
> with your PS2, you just take it back to the store and they give you a
> brand new one, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO HASSLES. I can vouch for them.
> In fact, I purchased mine in late 2001 when it was still $299. By
> the time I had problems with it reading DVD's (it was my only DVD
> player for a long time), the price had dropped to $199 - SO... the way
> they have it set up is that they give you a REFUND for your system,
and
> then charge you for a NEW one. That meant that I got $100 store
credit,
> AND a brand new playstation 2(which still works flawlessly all these
> years later).
>
> In fact, I don't think I'd ever buy a game system anyplace else but
> Best Buy - you have TRUE PEACE OF MIND with that warranty let me tell
> ya........

Space Boss and I agree about as often as Nintendo releases e-Reader
cards, but in this case, I have to agree. Although, in my case, I do
my shopping at Circuit City. The PS2 has such a poor track record that
I didn't think twice about getting the CityAdvantage plan on it. A
little more money, but it's worth it to not have to depend on Sony's
support. I went down that path once, and I will never again purchase a
Sony product without some form of vendor coverage. Even something as
piddly as a Playstation.



--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 27, 2005 5:40:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

I assumed it was obvious, especially with the 'Kasumi Ninja is the best
fighting game ever' bits, but alas.. I guess it wasn't.

No, Mace wasn't very good either.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 28, 2005 2:51:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august wrote:

>
> So, to protect myself from Sony's willfully malignant engineering, I
> need to spend more money up front?
>

ANY system with MOVEABLE PARTS and a laser is going to break down
eventually. It's the nature of the beast. Stop making excuses, if you
don't want a PS2, then you don't want one. That's OK.


> Let's see, I have 61 computers, 58 game consoles, 12 handheld
systems,
> 18 add-on systems (this is things line Sega CD and the 2600 adapters
to
> my 5200 and CV, and 31 pong clones. I got all my systems except my
> first Sony psx, my SNES and my very first game, my O^2, used. The
O^2
> and spx were Christmas gifts, and the SNES I got the first Christmas
it
> was out for $108 due to a fluke local price war.


Where do you keep all this stuff? 61 computers? That sounds a bit
eccentric to me.


> And then this warranty runs out in two years, but with so many
consoles,
> I don't use it enough to kill it for three years, by which time the
p3
> will be out and Sony won't repair dead ps/2's anymore anyway.
>
> As a collector, I see this as a lose-lose scenario. I'll wait for
the
> ps/2 II to prove its reliability before I consider it, and then I
will
> acquire a working ps/2 Mk.

I dunno... I don't think about all this stuff, I just pop in Tekken 5
and let the good times roll!!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 30, 2005 6:14:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

jt august wrote:

> Ah, well that has more to do with how my hobby is currently taking
me.
> I have a nice, big basement, and am slowing working towards the video

> playground.

COOL! Sounds like what I am doing. What is the approximate sqare
footage of your basement?

There is a lard storage room, where I will install
> compacted collection shelves.


What is a "lard storage room"?


>
> The other half of the basement is the utility room that will also be
> fixed up as a second kitchen (I love to cook also).

What is the total square footage of your home?

>
> BTW: this house is not a ranch style. That was one mandate when I
was
> house shopping, no ranches. I needed the space.
>
> jt

OK, when I don't know something, I'm just going to ask: what is a ranch
style home? I've heard the term before but I really don't know what
that means?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 30, 2005 10:48:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <1114667461.185306.270650@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

> Where do you keep all this stuff? 61 computers? That sounds a bit
> eccentric to me.

Ah, well that has more to do with how my hobby is currently taking me.
I have a nice, big basement, and am slowing working towards the video
playground. There is a lard storage room, where I will install
compacted collection shelves. These are shelves on tracks that can
slide left and right to maximize space efficiency by only having one row
at a time wide enough to walk in.

In the main room, the front half will have two rows of couch seating and
a custom coffee table to set up game consoles on, and the back half will
be arranged for the computers. Many dups (most entries in the Atari
8-bit family, the C=64 family, the Apple ][ family, etc) will be
displayed on decorative shelves, as will up to three arcade games (one
of which is a sit down Starrider LVD game from Williams).

The other half of the basement is the utility room that will also be
fixed up as a second kitchen (I love to cook also).

BTW: this house is not a ranch style. That was one mandate when I was
house shopping, no ranches. I needed the space.

jt
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 2, 2005 9:00:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In article <1114895679.204165.318050@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

> There is a lard storage room, where I will install
> > compacted collection shelves.
>
>
> What is a "lard storage room"?

It is how you spell large when you are very tired.

> >
> > The other half of the basement is the utility room that will also be
> > fixed up as a second kitchen (I love to cook also).
>
> What is the total square footage of your home?

Listed as 2150, but this does not reflect the basement, which is just
over 1600 by itself.

> >
> > BTW: this house is not a ranch style. That was one mandate when I
> was
> > house shopping, no ranches. I needed the space.
> >
> > jt
>
> OK, when I don't know something, I'm just going to ask: what is a ranch
> style home? I've heard the term before but I really don't know what
> that means?

Ranch homes have all the bedrooms on the same floor as the living room
kitchen and dinette/dining room. Split level ranches have the bedrooms
up a half flight (6 to 8 foot rise) from the other rooms.

Ranches can be on a slab (no basement) or a sunken foundation (which
doesn't necessarily mean you have a basement).

My house is a 1 1/2 story, meaning that upstairs bedrooms are built into
the house's roof/attic area. In this case, the upstairs was built for
two rooms, not that rooms were squeezed into the attic area.

jt
!