LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
checking the latest sites for the big hardware companies reveals an XP crase:
www.ATI.com
www.NVIDIA.com
www.AMD.com
www.INTEL.com

and many many other sites, smart marketing or big bucks for microsoft?

anyway after all the "specially optimised" bs the realy winner is microsoft and all the companies came out paying big $$$$$, any one gone care about all that XP?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

G

Until they can consistently show that graphics cards perform better in XP than in Win2k or 98, I'm staying far away. Did you see the latest video benchmarks on anandtech with an XP comparison? BIG fps differences!

Save the children :smile:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
go out and buy pc-gamer...they show how it i gives you better framerates, and is a bit more stable....
butttt...i would still stay away from it because i havent had enough experience with it...so i dont know anything on how it is going to perform in the long run....they say that it is good, but i personally dont know much about it..and would like more than one opinion on it before i shell out the $$ for an os...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
i mentioned that i tested the XP on my mechine and its crap!

dont buy it!
i got it hacked anyway, so didnt lose any money on it.
and i had the pro version.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I mentioned that I tested the XP on my mechine and it's crap!

Dont buy it!
I got it from MS for free trial, so I didn't loose money on it. It was the final Pre-Release, the one that actually went to retail.
And it was the pro version.

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
wow...i guess that it might be crap then...
i would still like to test it myself, and see if it is worth anything to me....
like was it stable, did it support most hardware?
stuff like that.
and when are they coming out with a service pack, because i think that PC-Gamer said something about waiting to get it after they released a service pack or two.
i might be able to get my hands on a copy of it, i think that it is a pre-release, but not sure...the only thing i am afraid of with putting xp on my machine is that i have several, how should i say, "cracked" programs...and i think that xp searches hard drive for stuff like thet, and reports to microsoft....
also, i cant install on more than one machine in my house...so in order to have them all running on one os, i would have to shell out like $1194 for the full version of xp home....that is kinda a rip off, since my copy of windows 98 second edition is running all the computers in my house...am i not allowed to install multiple copies for my own personal use, in my own house, for home use (not business?)
kinda odd...

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It was very stable, BUT:
It slowed down certain applications, such as 3D benchmarks, by around 20%
It was not compatable with any of my TV cards nor quite a few of my other cards.
It was not compatable with quite a few of my programs.
The built in CD writing program was not capable of doing exact disk to disk coppies, but instead used standard file systems like a hard drive.
It has built in copywrite protection for certain file formats.

Back to you Tom...

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I love XP 0 problems at all and all games work perfectly and so does office 2000 my hw are as follows
1.2 axia
384 pc266
MSI KT266 pro
powercolor geforce 2 gts
2 realtek 8139as
Aureal vortex 2 superquad
realmagic hollywood plus
avermedia tv tuner
Maxtor 30gig 7200rpm
52x creative
8x8x32 ricoh
4x panasonic dvd
350 enermax
I have had 0 issues or crashes with any software and I use cd creator 5 platinum with XP RC1 2505, which have supposedly issues

Blame the newbies not the technology

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
eh...sounds like more trouble than it is worth...but still, i think that i am going to go try my friends system out, who has it..
see how it runs..
a 20%slowdown is quite a big slowdown....

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It caches the most frequently used programs I think, so that program startup is quite a bit faster. But don't let that fool you! Because having so many files cached sucks up power!

Back to you Tom...

Makaveli

Splendid
I've been using XP for 2months now XP pro Final. Have had no problems with it and not one BSOD. I find it alot better than 98/ME and about the same with win2k except for being faster and more compatibles with games. Only problem I had was with Open GL support with my ATI Radeon which an unoffical driver fixed before Ati released there Offical drivers. I still used a tweak driver and find performance fine! As for ease of use same are win2k, and experienced user won't have any problems with XP. As for the Newbies stick to Win ME or 98SE.

Not a top of the line system anymore but have no problems running programs and the games I play!
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9802" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9802</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a lot harder to find system settings and so forth. Although I'm not an experienced Win2k user, I haven't had any problems with my customers PC's so equiped, like I did with XP.

Back to you Tom...

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL... I was questioning whether or not it could be called a feature, but yes there is a switch within to turn of copyright protection. :)

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
you got the "lifeview" TV card as well??

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Ok I respect crash, but I will toss out a few reasons he may not have liked xp.

A: he uses ancient hardware, his job is refurbishing old pcs, and im sure that xp has no support for many lesser known legacy devices.
B: Crash uses ATI cards, and ATI's xp drivers [-peep-] suck, and its been shouted from all the tech sites lately, with an nvidia graphics card and the det xp's the framerates of xp are the same as 98 for the most part.
c: many of the devices he may have used may not have been using the latest drivers because many sites just today released their xp driver revisions.

I am running xp now, on a nice system, and I can tell you from personal experience, it is both more stable(or equal to) and faster than 2000. IN gaming it is EVER SO SLIGHTLY slower than 98, BUT, I have been running it for a month and it has YET to crash once. I highly reccomend the os to everyone who does not have an older system.

ps: I was NOT attacking crashman, I was merely pointing out some reasons he may have not liked his xperience, I have the utmost respect for him and the work he does on this forum.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
i dont know the reson you like XP so much, it is really damn slow and well slower then 2k, about 98, win2ksp2 is faster then win98se, im using all branded hardware and latest drivers, software is slower and slugish compared to win2k.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Love it has to be your hardware or your install, all of the systems I have installed it on so far(4 including a p3 550) have been MUCH faster than 98se and have equal benchmarks(within 2%) to 98se, I suggest you try the final version or check your hardware to see exactly what is holding you back.

PS: use ntfs, its faster, and also try disabling the feature which puts all your devices on 1 irq, to do so hit f5 when you boot off of the xp cd.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Iam using RC2 version of XP and for the last couple of months have found it to be far more stable than 98SE ever was. As for speed...it`s at least the same when running games and the boot times are far better. The stability of a Mac in a Windows environment...who would have thought?

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
it was NTFS, clean install of XP.

you might compare it to a long used win98se with performance drop, not a clean install.

btw-kronus-just shows how much you know about macs, the MAC os X aka 10 and V10.1, are no good, OSx was based on linux kernel to use its stabillity and performance, BUT what came out was the WORSE linux based os EVER!
it crashes, comes to a holt once in a while, and has o-so-many bugs.
win2k was(and still is) the best system released by microsoft, now it was really crappy to in the begining untill the release of the next service pack, this might be the case with the XP(hopefully).
untill then win2k is still the best choice.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No luck with my GeForce2 GTS either, I got the same 3D benchmarks in XP with the GTS as I did with an MX in 98SE! Great, I paid for GTS performance!
I used NTFS partitions on clean installs, I heard that NTFS was faster/less apt to corruption/more secure. Of course I used Fat32 in 98SE.

Back to you Tom...

TRENDING THREADS