help!!! whats *oem*wanna said?

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Your question is worded oddly, I hope this answers it:

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer.

If you buy a video card that is OEM, it means it was intended to be sold as part of a whole computer and not an individual retail card. You will get ONLY the video card and probably a drivers CD. It will be packaged in a plain box, or perhaps just a static bag. You won't get any additional bundled software like games and whatnot, and the warranty may be quite limited. You'll also get a really great price.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
D'oh! forgot one thing. SOMETIMES there are differences between the OEM version and the full retail. ATI has a bad habit of releasing OEM cards that are clocked slightly lower. I've yet to see these shenanigans with nVidia.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i thought that oem meant Open End Market....hmmm...
i thought that manufacturers like HP, Compaq and the likes were the "open end market"
eh...maybe i was wrong...i dunno...i have had many a' folk tell me it was open end maket...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Listen, if you tell him the truth, he'll find 5 freinds to agree with him and you'll end up being considered an idiot by a bunch of morons that you just happen to have to put up with. At least that's what happens every time I try to explain P-metric tire sizes to a mechanic!

Back to you Tom...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
lol...i know what you mean, but if i can corner those 5 friends, and convince them...lol..then i could attack that guy, and he would have to agree..
but i dont think that i will bother arguing if he disagrees.
i will just be like, "ok man, its cool!"

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For anyone else that's wondering, 50, 60, and 70 are NOT widths! They are PROFILES! In the case of the P-255/60R/15:
P=Passanger vehicle weight rating.

255=WIDTH, in mm, at the CENTER (about 10") About 8.5-9" at the tread.

60=PROFILE, the % ratio of SECTION height to with, about 6". To measure total height, add 2 sections (top and bottom) to rim diameter.

R=Radial

15=Rim diameter at BEAD.

So no matter what anyone says, a 205/60 is NARROWER than a 285/75! The 60 is simply a LOWER PROFILE tire!

And NO it did NOT change with the P-Metric system, an N-60 is still wider than an L-50! (For those who never heard of letter sizes, an N is about 12 inches wide, an L about 10 inches wide, and these sizes are still used on some drag racing tires).

Finally, there is no designation for tread width, all tires are measured across the center of the section.

Back to you Tom...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
CRASHMAN, THAT POST BELONGS IN THE OTHER/AUTOMOTIVE FORUM, MOVE IT AT ONCE!

The url of the forum is

<A HREF="http://www.asianthumbs.org" target="_new">http://www.asianthumbs.org</A>

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~