Remove Win Messenger Icon ?

How can I remove the Windows Messenger Icon from my Notification/Taskbar
area? I never use Windows Messenger and want to eliminate it.
Thanks......Steve
--
Thanks
3 answers Last reply

    To simply close it right click on it then choose exit.

    To prevent it from loading when windows starts, double click the icon then
    choose tools then options then click preferences untick the "Run windows
    messenger when Windows starts up".

    If it really annoys you and you want to stop it from running (either
    accidentally or by another user opening it)

    Go to C:\Program Files\Messenger\ then change the name of the "msmsgs.exe"
    file to something like "msmsgs.disabled" or "msmsgs.old"

    "Litespeed" <Litespeed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I remove the Windows Messenger Icon from my Notification/Taskbar
    > area? I never use Windows Messenger and want to eliminate it.
    > Thanks......Steve
    > --
    > Thanks

    Thank you Barry !
    --
    Thanks

    "Barry" wrote:

    > To simply close it right click on it then choose exit.
    >
    > To prevent it from loading when windows starts, double click the icon then
    > choose tools then options then click preferences untick the "Run windows
    > messenger when Windows starts up".
    >
    > If it really annoys you and you want to stop it from running (either
    > accidentally or by another user opening it)
    >
    > Go to C:\Program Files\Messenger\ then change the name of the "msmsgs.exe"
    > file to something like "msmsgs.disabled" or "msmsgs.old"
    >

    > "Litespeed" <Litespeed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I remove the Windows Messenger Icon from my Notification/Taskbar
    > > area? I never use Windows Messenger and want to eliminate it.
    > > Thanks......Steve
    > > --
    > > Thanks

    See also:

    Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

    Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Thank you Barry !
    > --
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Barry" wrote:
    >
    >> To simply close it right click on it then choose exit.
    >>
    >> To prevent it from loading when windows starts, double click the icon
    >> then
    >> choose tools then options then click preferences untick the "Run windows
    >> messenger when Windows starts up".
    >>
    >> If it really annoys you and you want to stop it from running (either
    >> accidentally or by another user opening it)
    >>
    >> Go to C:\Program Files\Messenger\ then change the name of the
    >> "msmsgs.exe"
    >> file to something like "msmsgs.disabled" or "msmsgs.old"
    >>

    >> "Litespeed" <Litespeed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How can I remove the Windows Messenger Icon from my
    >> > Notification/Taskbar
    >> > area? I never use Windows Messenger and want to eliminate it.
    >> > Thanks......Steve
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks

Support Messenger Microsoft Windows XP