Remove Win Messenger Icon ?

August 19, 2005 5:34:06 AM

How can I remove the Windows Messenger Icon from my Notification/Taskbar
area? I never use Windows Messenger and want to eliminate it.
Thanks......Steve
--
Thanks
August 19, 2005 3:40:39 PM

To simply close it right click on it then choose exit.

To prevent it from loading when windows starts, double click the icon then
choose tools then options then click preferences untick the "Run windows
messenger when Windows starts up".

If it really annoys you and you want to stop it from running (either
accidentally or by another user opening it)

Go to C:\Program Files\Messenger\ then change the name of the "msmsgs.exe"
file to something like "msmsgs.disabled" or "msmsgs.old"

"Litespeed" <Litespeed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I remove the Windows Messenger Icon from my Notification/Taskbar
> area? I never use Windows Messenger and want to eliminate it.
> Thanks......Steve
> --
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:40:40 PM

Thank you Barry !
--
Thanks

"Barry" wrote:

> To simply close it right click on it then choose exit.
>
> To prevent it from loading when windows starts, double click the icon then
> choose tools then options then click preferences untick the "Run windows
> messenger when Windows starts up".
>
> If it really annoys you and you want to stop it from running (either
> accidentally or by another user opening it)
>
> Go to C:\Program Files\Messenger\ then change the name of the "msmsgs.exe"
> file to something like "msmsgs.disabled" or "msmsgs.old"
>

> "Litespeed" <Litespeed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I remove the Windows Messenger Icon from my Notification/Taskbar
> > area? I never use Windows Messenger and want to eliminate it.
> > Thanks......Steve
> > --
> > Thanks

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:00:40 PM

See also:

Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org