19/Aug/2005 6:08

I have a laptop computer (Dell Inspiron 8600) with no separate
numberpad - I have numbers at the top of the keyboard. The numbers
make the "codes" that allow me use special windows characters (The
Windows Character Set by Brian Livingstone). However, in order to
work, I must use a number pad (on the right side of a regular
keyboard).

This chart worded when I busied a full keyboard but not now. How can
I use it with this keyboard?

Thank you,

Barry Karas

Barry Karas <bkaras@adelphia.net> wrote:

> I have a laptop computer (Dell Inspiron 8600) with no separate
>numberpad - I have numbers at the top of the keyboard. The numbers
>make the "codes" that allow me use special windows characters (The
>Windows Character Set by Brian Livingstone). However, in order to
>work, I must use a number pad (on the right side of a regular
>keyboard).

Put a shortcut to Windows Character Map on your desktop or start menu.
All characters can be found there. Character Map should be found by
going to programs / accessories / system tools / character map. I'm
using a laptop and missing the number keypad too. :(

Barry Karas wrote:
> 19/Aug/2005 6:08
>
> I have a laptop computer (Dell Inspiron 8600) with no
> separate numberpad - I have numbers at the top of the
> keyboard. The numbers make the "codes" that allow me use
> special windows characters (The Windows Character Set by
> Brian Livingstone). However, in order to work, I must use a
> number pad (on the right side of a regular keyboard).
>
> This chart worded when I busied a full keyboard but not now.
> How can I use it with this keyboard?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Barry Karas

Most laptops have the numeric keypad embedded within the
keyboard. The procedure for using that keypad varies. Take a
look on page 60 of the manual that came with your laptop:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/OM/8600/i8600-om.pdf

It looks like you need to hit the Num Lk key to activate the
keypad. Press Fn and the correct keys to get the desired
character.

Good luck

Nepatsfan