Create an additional drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello

A Windows XP pro sp2 with an unpartitioned 60 GB of C:\drive, running in a
small network environment. "My Documents" folder contains a huge amount of
documents and data. This seems to have slowed down the performance.

I would like to create an additional drive and move the data from c:\ to the
additional new drive.

How can I do this please ?

Many thanks

Best
5 answers Last reply
More about create additional drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "best@news.postalias" <best@news.postalias> wrote:

    >A Windows XP pro sp2 with an unpartitioned 60 GB of C:\drive, running in a
    >small network environment. "My Documents" folder contains a huge amount of
    >documents and data. This seems to have slowed down the performance.

    If you have all those documents under MyDocuments, try making some
    folders under the MyDocuments folder and start moving stuff into those
    newly created folders. This is a perfect time to start organizing your
    data. If nothing else, just make a single folder named Archive, or
    something like that and move all your documents into that folder. When
    you create new documents, they will be added to the MyDocument folder
    like normal. Once you are 'finished' working on these, move them to
    the Archive folder. I've heard that Windows will slow down if there
    are too many entries under the MyDocuments folder. By making a sub
    folder, you eliminate the excessive number of documents in the root
    folder.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hello Zilbandy,

    Thank you for the reply.

    The 'My Documents' folder is well organised. The problem is that it became
    too big. This seems to have affected the performance. The machine's
    unpartitioned 60GB hard space is an NTFS basic disk. I have looked at the
    following KB:

    How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309044

    Only I am not quite sure whether by converting from basic to dynamic would
    meet my expectations, nor am I quite sure whether this would be the correct
    approach to meet my expectations, i.e. I wanted to create a new drive, say
    for example drive I:\ with 20GB of space where all the documents and data
    would be moved for storage.

    Regards

    Best

    =======

    "Zilbandy" wrote:

    If you have all those documents under MyDocuments, try making some folders
    under the MyDocuments folder and start moving stuff into those newly created
    folders. This is a perfect time to start organizing your data. If nothing
    else, just make a single folder named Archive, or something like that and
    move all your documents into that folder. When you create new documents, they
    will be added to the MyDocument folder like normal. Once you are 'finished'
    working on these, move them to the Archive folder. I've heard that Windows
    will slow down if there are too many entries under the MyDocuments folder. By
    making a sub folder, you eliminate the excessive number of documents in the
    root folder.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    best@news.postalias wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > A Windows XP pro sp2 with an unpartitioned 60 GB of
    > C:\drive, running in a small network environment. "My
    > Documents" folder contains a huge amount of documents and
    > data. This seems to have slowed down the performance.
    >
    > I would like to create an additional drive and move the data
    > from c:\ to the additional new drive.
    >
    > How can I do this please ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Best

    If your hard drive has unpartitioned space available you can
    easily create new partitions and drives from within Disk
    Management:
    Go to Start -> Run and enter diskmgmt.msc in the Open box and
    click OK.
    Your primary hard drive should be listed in the bottom pane as
    Drive 0.
    Is there an area labeled Unallocated?
    If so, you might want to take a look at this article:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_06.htm

    If your hard drive does not contain any unpartitioned space,
    you'll have to use a third party program such as Partition
    Magic 8.0 from Symantec in order to reallocate drive space:

    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/index.html

    Once you've created and formatted your new partition, you can
    relocate the "My Documents" folder by following this procedure:

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    best@news.postalias wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > A Windows XP pro sp2 with an unpartitioned 60 GB of
    > C:\drive, running in a small network environment. "My
    > Documents" folder contains a huge amount of documents and
    > data. This seems to have slowed down the performance.
    >
    > I would like to create an additional drive and move the data
    > from c:\ to the additional new drive.
    >
    > How can I do this please ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Best

    Add the following to my earlier response:

    The amount of data within your My Documents folder would be
    towards the bottom of the list of items to check if your
    computers performance has slowed down.
    1. Start with making sure your system is virus/spyware free.
    2. Look at how many programs are running in the background when
    your computer starts. Here are a couple of utilites that will
    provide that info:

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Autoruns
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

    3. When's the last time you defragged your hard drive?

    Take a look at these articles:

    Restore Your Computer's Performance with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx

    Why is my computer running so slow
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

    Nepatsfan
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I would want to know why you have an unpartitioned 60gb on your C drive,
    first

    <best@news.postalias> wrote in message
    news:062636E8-9A6E-46B1-91BA-185E369782B7@microsoft.com...
    > Hello Zilbandy,
    >
    > Thank you for the reply.
    >
    > The 'My Documents' folder is well organised. The problem is that it
    became
    > too big. This seems to have affected the performance. The machine's
    > unpartitioned 60GB hard space is an NTFS basic disk. I have looked at the
    > following KB:
    >
    > How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309044
    >
    > Only I am not quite sure whether by converting from basic to dynamic would
    > meet my expectations, nor am I quite sure whether this would be the
    correct
    > approach to meet my expectations, i.e. I wanted to create a new drive, say
    > for example drive I:\ with 20GB of space where all the documents and data
    > would be moved for storage.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Best
    >
    > =======
    >
    > "Zilbandy" wrote:
    >
    > If you have all those documents under MyDocuments, try making some folders
    > under the MyDocuments folder and start moving stuff into those newly
    created
    > folders. This is a perfect time to start organizing your data. If nothing
    > else, just make a single folder named Archive, or something like that and
    > move all your documents into that folder. When you create new documents,
    they
    > will be added to the MyDocument folder like normal. Once you are
    'finished'
    > working on these, move them to the Archive folder. I've heard that Windows
    > will slow down if there are too many entries under the MyDocuments folder.
    By
    > making a sub folder, you eliminate the excessive number of documents in
    the
    > root folder.
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Microsoft