Upgraded hard drive - how to move files from old one?

August 19, 2005 5:34:18 PM

I'm upgrading my 80GB IDE drive to a 200GB SATA drive, and I'm wondering
how I go about transferring stuff over. Here's what i plan to do:

I plan to install the new SATA drive and set the BIOS to boot from that
first, but the IDE drive will stay in the system until I have
transferred everything I need to. I currently have XP Pro, which I will
be installing from scratch on the SATA drive. Once I've set that all
up, will I be able to explore my old IDE drive and just drag stuff
across? Do i need to do anything to ensure I'm not locked-out from the
data on my old drive?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:34:19 PM

Hi Cuzman,

Assuming that "I currently have XP Pro" means that you are currently running
XP Pro on the 80GB drive, use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard
(F.A.S.T.) to store files and settings either to removable media or to a
folder on the 80GB drive. When you have the 200GB drive installed and XP Pro
up and running on that drive, use F.A.S.T on the "new" XP in order to import
the stored files and settings.

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

FILE & SETTINGS TRANSFER
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

It is possible that, when you try to open folders on your "old" XP, you
receive an Access is Denied message and may have to take ownership of those
folders:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
news:D e4jk8$p6e$1@news.freedom2surf.net...

> I'm upgrading my 80GB IDE drive to a 200GB SATA drive, and I'm wondering
> how I go about transferring stuff over. Here's what i plan to do:
>
> I plan to install the new SATA drive and set the BIOS to boot from that
> first, but the IDE drive will stay in the system until I have
> transferred everything I need to. I currently have XP Pro, which I will
> be installing from scratch on the SATA drive. Once I've set that all
> up, will I be able to explore my old IDE drive and just drag stuff
> across? Do i need to do anything to ensure I'm not locked-out from the
> data on my old drive?

August 19, 2005 5:34:20 PM

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Cuzman,
>
> Assuming that "I currently have XP Pro" means that you are currently
> running
> XP Pro on the 80GB drive, use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard
> (F.A.S.T.) to store files and settings either to removable media or to a
> folder on the 80GB drive. When you have the 200GB drive installed and XP
> Pro
> up and running on that drive, use F.A.S.T on the "new" XP in order to
> import
> the stored files and settings.
>
> HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=293118
>
> FILE & SETTINGS TRANSFER
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php
>
> It is possible that, when you try to open folders on your "old" XP, you
> receive an Access is Denied message and may have to take ownership of
> those
> folders:
>
> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=810881
>
> Regards,
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Cuzman:
In addition to Patti's recommendations, you might want to consider the
following...

Again assuming that your "old" 80 GB HD contains the XP OS, use a disk
imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to
"clone" the contents of that drive to your new 200 GB drive. The advantage
here is that you're copying *all* the data on your old drive to the new one,
including the OS and your programs. Understand that using the F.A.S.T
program will *not* transfer your programs to the new drive. In that case you
will need to install whatever programs you desire from the programs'
installation media.

An additional advantage of using a disk imaging program is that in the
future you can use your 80 GB drive as a backup and routinely clone the
contents of your working drive to it.
Anna
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:28:50 AM

"Cuzman" wrote:
> I'm upgrading my 80GB IDE drive to a 200GB SATA drive,
> and I'm wondering how I go about transferring stuff over.
> Here's what i plan to do:
>
> I plan to install the new SATA drive and set the BIOS to
> boot from that first, but the IDE drive will stay in the system
> until I have transferred everything I need to. I currently have
> XP Pro, which I will be installing from scratch on the SATA
> drive. Once I've set that all up, will I be able to explore my
> old IDE drive and just drag stuff across? Do i need to do
> anything to ensure I'm not locked-out from the data on my
> old drive?

Just clone your old HD to the new HD - installed OS and all.
Go to www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ and download
a free trial version of Casper XP. Use it to make a copy of
your old HD to the new HD. Then remove the old HD and
boot up the new HD. VoilĂ ! All your stuff is on the new HD -
for free! Then reconnect your old HD. Since one HD is
ATA and the other is SATA, adjusting jumpers or changing
HD positions won't allow you to make one HD boot instead
of the other, so if you want subsequently to run with both HDs
and to make the new (SATA) HD boot instead of the old (PATA)
HD, you'll have to learn how to adjust the HD boot order in
the BIOS. It's easy, but you'll have to read your owner's
manual to see how to do it. By putting the new HD ahead of
the old HD in the boot order, the new HD will always boot
instead of the old HD. You will see in Disk Management that
the new HD has the C: partition now, and the old HD has
what the OS now calls the "D: Local Disk" or D: partition.
You'll be happy to see that you can drag 'n drop files between
the two partitions.

*TimDaniels*
!